Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about rather then going with chrome that I want to paint some of the outside of my car some type of color, like an accent color (maybe yellow or something). Like instead of having chrome door handles, grill, rims, and lift back handle to maybe paint them a different color. Maybe also paint my side window rain guards and my roof rack if I decided to get one (just the inside part that would be silver not the black parts)

Honestly what do you guys/gals think? My ex gf's Dad owns his own custom paint business so I could get a sick deal on painting. he just does normal paining no crazy airbrushing or anything like that. I just dont want to paint my whole car.

Im hopping some of you who are way more creative will give me some feedback on this. Id like it to look nice and differernt but no to over the top.

Maybe something like this car??? Its the blue one with lambo doors

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/new-set-pics-from-the-fast-and-furious-4/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply! So your saying stick with the chrome and dont paint it? Or paint it a brushed silver/chrome?

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Sorry,
I've been out of town (FYI: the xB handles AMAZING on mountain roads. I drove mine on some I know well and was shocked at how well it drove and how quick I was going, loaded and full of my family. I knew it could go MUCH faster, as it had no notable body roll or slip control light/beep indicators . . . I will try again when alone . . . )

With that dark of a blue, I would go with a lighter, bright colour.
Particularly, I would look at orange, yellow, red, or lime green. Any of those would look nice and possibly great, depending upon application. One note on red, of all colours, it is the hardest to match and tends to look pretty bad if the reds are not VERY close(one tends to look garnet or purple and the other looks pink-ish, no matter how they look separately).

Also, think of common associations for the combinations:
Navy and red tends to look patriotic and is also used by MANY sports teams, especially baseball and football. Yet, it can be a NICE look if well done.
Navy with yellow trim tends to scream "Blue Angles" (US Navy Flight Exhibition team). If that interests you, go for it. It can look GREAT and the eye tends to give a fair amount of leeway on yellows, as long as they don't butt to close to one another. That is also why the Blue Angles adopted it . . .
Navy and orange would be my personal favorite. The orange is already on the car in the stock gauges and dash coloring. It is also the colors of Lionel, who makes electric trains. Not too many sports team is it, but SOME do . . . esp. the Detroit Tigers, Chicago Bears, New York Knicks, New York Mets, and the fictional New York Knights (from the film "The Natural").
I think it would look WONDERFUL with orange trim, plus the eye tends to be fairly forgiving on orange (just look at Clemson University and how many similar shades of orange get blended, yet still look "good").
Navy and lime green is a bit trendy and is a bit more "garish" to most folks. That said, it also could look quite good. Plus, dark blue tends to be the most popular complimentary tone for lime green.

In short, I would recommend orange, yellow, red, or lime green. You could basically use ANY color you want, as dark blue tends to "coordinate" with almost any color, even other shades of blue (you could even use a sky blue tone, as is done by the University of North Carolina and the Tennessee Titans, among others).
It gets down to what you personally like. I like red, but would try and get all the painting done at the same time time and/or with as similar shade of red as possible.
Lime green and orange tend to be colors people either like or don't. I don't like lime green much, but love orange.
My personal favorite would be orange.

With your "sea" theme, you might want to consider the sky blue too . . . it kinda reminds me of breaking waves . . .

What about picking your favorite colors, getting some spray cans in that tone and painting some "samples" and carrying them around with you in your box. One will probably "attach" itself as the preferred color for you and your car. At least it would eliminate colors that might get irritating or distracting looking at as you drive.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Tartan I didnt even see your post sorry.

I like the orange idea as well. I could find orange underbody kits as well and as you said I dont have to worry about changing out my guage color. I also like yellow as I do like the blue angles. One of my first ideas was to do my honda in a blue angle theme with blue and yellow and make the inside look like a cockpit with different guages and dvd screen with a screen saver of a planes nav system and my shift nob as a "joystick". I also wanted to get a lighted exhaust tip with orange leds inside to make it look like the exahust of a jet and so on but I digress..

I like orange the most but like you said I do want to stick to my "surfer" theme. So IDK but all GREAT ideas as always. Also how should I go by paining it do you think? Two tone, graphics? trim?? IDK. I do know that if I chose a color Ill paint my silver dash trim and door pannels ect on the inside the same to match it.

· Registered
1,989 Posts
callmemrbill said:
Honestly I think the best color would be chrome or silver. It could be like a brushed chrome or silver to give it a different look but thats what I would say.
I agree... I tried to go w/ blue & black w/ my tC, and started to go in that direction w/ the xB, but now I agree that chrome or silver will look better, if not overdone. But that's just speaking for myself. Do what you think will look best :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How come Its not saying people are posting to my post?

Anyways I came up with an idea. I really like it for once.

A woody themed xb (not the junky one out there right now)

One that looks like this!!!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3/crazyasnmonkey/Surfing_Scion_xB_by_HotRodCano.jpg

I love it! But Id do NBM not red on the car and wheels. And Id go with a wooden surft board and a slighty different roof rack system. Id also axe the Asian graphics and I think ill go orange instead of green with the pinstripe but I do like it. Oh and paint the lower grill NMB so it doesnt stick out. I cant find a woody kit for my car so I may have to make one....

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
HAHAHA

i was actually logging on to suggest a "Woody" on the sides and rear roof.
As the "classic" surfer vehicle is Woody.
More like:
http://ashevillediecast.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=21380&substring=woody
(Only in blue, rather than burgundy)

Note: the hood, fenders, and doors are "metal", while behind the driver/front doors are wood. The shape of the xB should make a MUCH more convincing woody than the sticker kit for the PT Cruiser. I would also extend the "wood" to include the rear windows and door frames, up to the roof edge. I'd also leave the roof body color.

I'm not sure what would look best on the back door/hatch . . .

I'd STILL do an orange or sky blue "trim" color for all the other accessory "stuff" and interior trim. A mix of body color and orange or sky blue trim would look amazing on the interior

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
So . . .
It looks like there are several options, taken from the REAL thing . . .

Option 1: Full woody rear hatch door
Option 2: "Wood" through to the edges of the hatch, stock color hatch, and (maybe) wood trim on the edges of the rear window.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice!

I like both back doors.

The issue Im having now guys is I cant find a woody kit.... i even tried called boyds hotrod shop to see if they could help me lol.

I also cant find the "rims" becasue I dont know what they are called and if they would fit...I called my local junkyard and they said they only carried 70's and on so no 50's era stuff. Any ideas?

Im learning twords a powder blue mattlic tyle as an accent color for the inside and out.

So Im missing the two most important parts lol. I know a pinstriper, I can get the roof rack and Im working on getting this sweet 60's era wood board and I can get the roof rack but I cant find woody and rims. Anyone know where I can get a woody?

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Idea . . .
As the real thing was cut and carved/bent real wood . . .
What about multiple pieces of wood-looking vinyl, cut and fitted to look like a woody?
I'm sure such stuff exists, just not where to get it from. I'm sure a good sign shop would make/get some in any wood tone you want and a body shop experienced with body wraps could apply it for you so that it looks like a woody.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
OOOOOOOH . . .
Real wood!

· Registered
141 Posts
For woody kit, Hit up Steve at scionpro It is in the works I beleive for gen 2!

Woody Wagoon and Scionpro Inc have joined to create the first Gen 2 Woody kit! The sample car is going into the shop this week and the full kit will be available in two to three weeks complete with raised wood trim. The sample car is black with half moons, wide whites and red outer rim trim...so it will be a total complement to the retro look! Stay tuned for pictures and pricing.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for all the info guys!

I called my dealer who most likely called scionpro becase he said on monday there would be a new kit out for $1099 with shipping and install. Im really hopping it looks way better then the first version because I really hate that one.

As for the wheels those are it tart. I found they are called moonies and smoothes depending on the material. I like the ones you showed me and they are cheep but anyone see ones like I had posted in my org. pic?

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
For the confused as to what he is talking about . . .
I sent a PM with a link to these and asked if these were something he might like:
(wondering if wants modern, old-school caps, or "classic" aluminums)
http://www.hubcapmike.com/smoothie_hubcaps.html
http://www.hubcapmike.com/bhc01-16.html
http://www.hubcapmike.com/racing_disc_wheelcovers.html
http://www.hubcapmike.com/rdc01-16.html

Rest:
http://www.hubcapmike.com/vintage_hubcaps.html
-Mostly 15 inchers

Additional:
By the first post, it looks like he is interested in a "classic" 5-spoke look.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im interested in the same ones as in the picture of the 1st gen woody pic I posted in this thread but I cant find them. It seems that they fit right in the middle of the rim and leave the rest showing so maybe a 12 inch smoothy and then paint my rim nbm lie in the pic i posted?

And yes tartan has been helping me ALLOT on this and on other things so mad props to him!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.