Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 xB and I'm looking to do a couple upgrades and mods. First thing I had a question about is lights.

- Is it just me or are the stock headlights not very bright? What have you done to solve this problem?

- Running the stock fog lights, has anyone changed the bulbs? Anyone running yellow fogs with white headlights? Led or hid?

- I'm looking to add side vent lights as drl and some accent lighting, where's my best place to find electrical diagrams and other important info?

Thanks!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Yes, stock headlights aint the best. Ive tried a few different things. I have had a hid 8k kit on my rs8, much better than stock. But cheap china made crap will piss you off. Ill be putting in some standard higher wattage bulbs in soon, bluer heads and yellow fogs. Some will argue our headlights arent designed for hids, this probably being true, I didn't notice a visual light beam difference. I haven't tried any of the led headlight ones to comment on.

Electrical diagrams are most likely found on trd sparks site. Im sure someone here will post up a link to help.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Is it just me or are the stock headlights not very bright? What have you done to solve this problem?
My other cars are a 2008 Sienna and a 2000 Camry. To me the xB headlights are a vast improvement: very sharp cutoff and brighter than my other cars. Having said that, perhaps the standard as to what's acceptable has been raised in the last few years, especially with more HID headlights around. I put in aftermarket bulbs https://sites.google.com/site/brickpigs2011xb/home/14---front-lights-upgrade which helped slightly. You may want to investigate an aftermarket HID conversion, some on this forum have done it. Some on this forum say our headlights readily accept HID and that there are no problems with the light pattern that is projected.

I'm looking to add side vent lights as drl and some accent lighting, where's my best place to find electrical diagrams and other important info?
I added additional courtesy lights and ambience lighting: https://sites.google.com/site/brickpigs2011xb/home/2---light-frenzy see the 4th picture down for what wires I tapped into. I also added DRLs and underglow: https://sites.google.com/site/brickpigs2011xb/home/15---light-frenzy-2 and https://sites.google.com/site/brickpigs2011xb/home/16---drls-upgraded

Have fun with your project and keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
I'm running 4300k hids in the headlights and 3000k in the fogs... I had 8000k in headlights and fogs but in the rain they didn't work the best... 4300k is a factory color here in australia for honda/lexus etc. and still able to see properly in the rain... Ill try get some photos next time I take the rukus out at night again

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a 2012 xB and I'm looking to do a couple upgrades and mods. First thing I had a question about is lights.

- Is it just me or are the stock headlights not very bright? What have you done to solve this problem?

- Running the stock fog lights, has anyone changed the bulbs? Anyone running yellow fogs with white headlights? Led or hid?

- I'm looking to add side vent lights as drl and some accent lighting, where's my best place to find electrical diagrams and other important info?

Thanks!
I just installed 55w 6000k HID's they are really bright white with slight hint of blue... If you go 6000k 35w it will look more blue.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Can you guys tell me the bulb sizes for both the headlights and fogs? And brick, do you think the drl dimmer is necessary for your side vent lights?
According to Lamp Replacement Guide View All Bulbs for my 2011 it's H11 for the low beam headlamp and 9005 for the high beam headlamp.

Yes I feel the DRL dimmer is needed at night, because otherwise the LEDs in my side vent lights can be too bright at night (they provide non-directional light). Another way to do it is to have the DRLs on with the ignition, but off if the headlights are on. (But since I think the DRLs look cool, I wanted them on in the day and dimmed at night).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brick- more questions and thanks for the help. This dimmer, does it constantly have to be adjusted between day and night, if so, how do you know when they are dim enough for night? At this point in time, my idea is to have the lights running all the time, regardless of headlights, so I don't see a need for switches. Do you think I need a SPST relay? Also the lights I have are more flood than directional, do you think they'd be better on the side vents or lower grill?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Brick- more questions and thanks for the help. This dimmer, does it constantly have to be adjusted between day and night, if so, how do you know when they are dim enough for night? At this point in time, my idea is to have the lights running all the time, regardless of headlights, so I don't see a need for switches. Do you think I need a SPST relay? Also the lights I have are more flood than directional, do you think they'd be better on the side vents or lower grill?
Please refer to
https://sites.google.com/site/brickpigs2011xb/home/15---light-frenzy-2
3rd picture. The DRLs are powered from the ignition switch wire under the steering column, so my LEDs are lit whenever the car is On. You don't need a relay to isolate the LED current draw because LEDs draw very little power.

I added a SPDT miniature relay with the coil activated by the parking lights. In the daytime power flows from the ignition wire thru the relay and to the LEDs. When the parking lights are on, the relay coil is energized and re-routes the power for the LEDs thru the dimmer. So the dimming happens "automatically" (only when the parking lights are on). You set the dimmer once, at night, by observation and judgment, and never need to touch it again. (In hindsight, I should have wired the relay to be energized by the low beam headlights, but the parking light wire was handy and known.)

Like you, my LEDs are more flood than directional. (That's one reason I felt I need a dimmer at night. I don't want to annoy or blind other drivers.) I don't think it matters where the LEDs are located, I just happen to like the side vents. In the end, location is up to personal preference. Hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.