Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so for those of you that don't already know I work for Toyota selling parts online and I wanted to open this thread to do some brain storming. Basically I wanna see what you guys would want Scion xB to have that isn't readily available on the market. First idea I had was selling tinted headlight housing units. Is that something you guys would be interested in? This is a small sample size to the entire Scion xB owners market but still it might be worth developing a couple prototype parts to see how they fair. Let's get creative

·
Registered
52 Posts
different headlights or covers...same for tail lights. different exhaust like full cat back. interior cover pieces colored like red or blue or cf. all i can think of right now...

·
Registered
661 Posts
Factory tinted headlights will never happen. Its the us gov guys...

Other suggestions. Look at AUS spec... Most of their features we all like.
Sunroof
leather
led tails
climate controls
Interior options, other than radio

·
Registered
52 Posts
I like the idea with the headlights and interior pieces. As for the catback exhaust I'm selling dual borla catbacks for $320
i believe those are axle backs not as good as cat back

·
Registered
52 Posts
grills for the front. options for the front side vents like grills or led lights

·
Registered
185 Posts
first thing I'd want is a lip kit for 2011-13. There's only one and I don't care for it. I'd be a buyer for sure. And I'm also into the led tail light options and colored interior pieces

·
Registered
164 Posts
I want traction control, abs, and stability management to be on a switch so I can turn them off when I drive and back on when my wife drives. Those 3 things are probably 75% of the reason I'm selling it. Yeah theres a button for TCS but if you go over like 25 OR get to 3rd gear it just kicks back on. Really a pointless button and the assists just ruin the driving experience.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I want traction control, abs, and stability management to be on a switch so I can turn them off when I drive and back on when my wife drives. Those 3 things are probably 75% of the reason I'm selling it. Yeah theres a button for TCS but if you go over like 25 OR get to 3rd gear it just kicks back on. Really a pointless button and the assists just ruin the driving experience.
You need to hold it for 5 seconds. Will stay off til you turn off the car. much more fun to drive ;)

·
Registered
164 Posts
You need to hold it for 5 seconds. Will stay off til you turn off the car. much more fun to drive ;)

That will only turn off the traction control though wont it? I want ABS off too. I really want the car to just do, and not think about things. If I want to brake hard or go hard it should just do it and not give me any static. It's like having a manual transmission over an auto, if I want to run it out I just want it to do it. Too many computers, I don't want the car to think for me I want it to let me drive it. I will never own a newer car, they are getting even worse with some of the newer standard options they are putting on. I have been in more situations where driver aids would have caused crashes than I have been in where they would have helped, idk if it's just my driving style and that this is the first car I have had that had the systems but I don't like them.

Edit: I know the B isn't a sports car, but it is nice to have a little fun every now and then.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Abs has been mandatory on cars for quite some time. Abs is a good thing. You can only beat it in the snow. But its point is to be able to swerve out of your situation. Which its does. I do wish it was turn off able too to a point, like snow.

Its the evolution of cars unfortunately.

But for what you want, probably gotta look 20 yr old car.

·
Registered
185 Posts
you just have to hold the button for 5 seconds?! **** i wish I would of knew this lol. I always hated how t/c kicks back in at 30! Now I know I can actually turn it off. Thanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
My celica didn't have it and it was a 2000. I never knew it was ever mandatory at all I just figured it was one of those things they started adding. I can beat ABS any day on any condition, all it does is INCREASE stopping distance regardless of how you view it. Personally it is a handicap that hurts more than it helps. People who have always had it may never know, but for someone like me who knows where the brakes will lock up I can push it farther than abs will ever let it go. This car is a perfect example, if I leave a parking lot and it's raining I expect a little wheelspin, thats fine, it's acceptable and I like it because tires will get traction and do their job. With the assists on it won't do anything it just keeps stuttering like it doesn't know what to do you have to baby the thing to make it move.

As far as stopping goes you can be no where near lock up point and it will start letting back off and flapping like it does. It's just annoying and in fact if my celica had ABS on it like this car does I would have undoubtedly killed 2 old ladies that pulled out in front of me once. I couldn't swerve there was traffic, all I had was a specific distance to stop in. My front bumper scraped the ground I broke so hard BUT they never locked up or fluttered and the car stopped just like I had tuned it to. My tires did their job, my brakes did their job, I never lost control of the car or situation.

The point im trying to get to is that if the car is thinking AND im thinking and we have two conflicting goals or opinions then the driver loses control. A car doesn't have situational awareness, it doesn't know whats going on or what is where, a human does. I can react better to a given scenario than a blind computer can. Now on the same note I don't trust my wife to have that type of awareness and the assists may very well help her, and that is why I like the option to turn on and turn off ALL of the assists.

·
Registered
152 Posts
all it does is INCREASE stopping distance regardless of how you view it.
Even in your own post you justify the computer controlled gadgetry. However, I agree with the one point that the ABS generally does INCREASE stopping distances for almost any circumstances. BUT... it does it by keeping the vehicle from going out of control for the average person, who, by most counts including your own, cannot be trusted to be completely aware of the vehicle and it's nuances and the surroundings and their bearing on the current situation.

This discussion happens nearly monthly on one or more of my chosen automotive forums.

I believe a vast majority of folks can gain a second lease on life from the computer controlled gadgets that exist. But I must admit, I do value the option of the purchase or deletion of any such gadgets. I think all safety features intended to protect the occupants of the car/vehicle, should be sold as options (INCLUDING SEAT BELTS), but we live in a "nanny world" where others are chosen to make decisions for us each day. We are not granted the freedoms we SHOULD BE. I believe in one making decisions that affect ones own life... not others making it for them. This would help cull the weak from the gene pool as well. Warning labels should be Left off of everything. we should let these things sort themselves out by natural selection... it used to work pretty good.

All the political BS aside, I think I have only had a couple of major "OH CRAP" moments from any of the computer controlled safety systems, in all the years I've had cars that applied them. The most terrible stuff is the latest models.

I have just purchased a new Tacoma Truck (Last November). BASE MODEL. I hadn't had it 3 weeks before I had to navigate in the icy conditions around here (Dallas Texas). The Traction control system was the worst thing! Wouldn't let me handle the vehicle at all... one slip of anything and the &^$%$^ system took over and would drive the car for me. I couldn't let off, accelerate... anything. Didn't matter once the vehicle perceived I was out of control... it kept shifting the rear end on/off or something and just pushing the truck around willy nilly... I nearly hit 2 curbs getting out of my neighborhood. I never even got to a speed that was over 5 miles an hour on the speedo. This feature is a menace to my surroundings, and to me. I will not likely leave my neighborhood when there's ice on the ground again... unless on foot. This may be when I start trying to predict the weather and park my truck in a nearby Grocery store parking lot and walk in and out... Sadly, the machines have taken over. Terminator Deployed.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Kinda sucks you got a truck and it's useless in conditions in which a truck is most needed.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter too much because you are right about the nanny thing. If the government and manufacturers would just stay out of it the cars would be better. Maybe they would focus more on tuning it to just be a better car and less on filling it with computers to make it feel like a better car.

I've always heard one of the selling points of Scion over the years has been that they don't have options. Everyone just gets a base model to customize which kept the price down. That said options wouldn't hurt them but I would be much less interested in digital gadgetry and more interested in performance options. That also said I won't be getting another scion at all after this one so I don't suppose my opinion matters too much.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
I'm mixed on all the driving aids in modern cars:

Pros- in most cases, they help people keep the cars on the road by assisting with braking and car control

Cons- There are times when the "assists" counteract the efforts of the driver to avoid something. Also, people who rely heavily on assists don't really learn how ti "drive" properly.
Feathered and true "pump" braking are quickly becoming a rare skill. Being able to drive a manual is also becoming a "specialty skill."
Scary to me is people don't know the limits of their vehicles and what it can and cannot do. So, you have pickups trying to "race" a Miata around twisty roads and long "sweeper" ramps. The truck is rolling and about to flip, while I'm "bored" and hoping not to get hit.

You MUST know HOW to drive quickly and safely without the aids, first. THEN add the aids to "help" in extreme situations.
As is, many RELY on the aids to not crash and drive awful, while THINKING they are "good" drivers because they haven't crashed. Meanwhile, they look at the person in the drivers-car that know what they are going as a "bad" driver, because that person can drive faster around a bend (when the aid-reliant driver gets nervous there at a MUCH slower speed- b/c they do the WRONG thing and only the aids keep them from seriously screwing up).

People NEED to learn quick, proper reactions, how and when to brake and accelerate in corners, how to FEATHER the brake and gas pedal (forget heal-toe skills), and car balance. I think those are BASIC driving skills, not "racing" skills . . .
Oh, I've been TOLD those are "racing" skills and irrelevant in modern cars. Idiots.

As a friend once said:
"If you can't go fast with 90HP, 900 won't help."

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.