Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of the chrome paint has been steadily flaking off my radio knob. Is there an easy way to fix it or should I try and order a new knob (if possible). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

· Registered
658 Posts
If you want to order a new knob, go through the maker of the radio, not toyota. Toyota can only sell you the radio. I would just peel the rest off and paint it with satin black paint.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No warranty :( I was thinking of hitting it with a quick shot of chrome spray paint, but I don't want to make a huge mess either...

· Registered
658 Posts
No warranty :( I was thinking of hitting it with a quick shot of chrome spray paint, but I don't want to make a huge mess either...
It won't look the same. You'll probably be dissatisfied with the results of chrome color rattle can. Worth a try since you can sand and repaint but that's the main reason I suggested satin black.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It won't look the same. You'll probably be dissatisfied with the results of chrome color rattle can. Worth a try since you can sand and repaint but that's the main reason I suggested satin black.
I'm just nervous about overspray. I guess I will try and stuff the hole with cotton balls and cover the dash with plastic and see how it goes. Like you said, worse case senario is I have to redo it with a different color. I will have to add that to my list of projects to finish over the long weekend.

· Registered
1,033 Posts
Suggestion: cotton balls may shed lint or fibers which won't look good stuck in your paint.

You may be better off using multiple notched sheets of paper. Slip the papers around the perimeter of the knob, with the knob shaft in the notch.

Or you can try masking tape: multiple strips of masking tape, sticky side on the radio face, non-sticky side up under the knob, using multiple strips of tape to surround the knob shaft.

In either case use lots of newspaper around the prepped knob to protect the car interior from overspray.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will happily accept donations to upgrade my radio :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.