Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the upgraded Pioneer unit in my xb and have become more and more aggravated with the overpowering buzzing noises while listening to my music. I like bass and have my unit set to emphasize the bass and use the "feel" eq. I also listen to my music at levels around 45.

I thought I'd take a look at the problem myself so I removed the door panel and played some music, assuming that the main issue was the plastic door panel vibrating against the door frame. However, the vibrations are just as loud. I don't understand who decided that a huge, loose plastic liner would be useful in the door panel. When music is played over 15, the entire liner transforms into one of the best noise makers I've ever seen. It's sad because the speakers are mounted solidly on the door frame, but the plastic and whatever is behind it is one large noise maker.

So my main question is how should I approach this disastrous door design? Is the plastic even necessary or can I remove it? Also am I the only one who experiences this issue? I have done some research and this doesn't seem to bother anyone else.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
We mounted 6.5" Polk db 4 ohm speakers in all four doors. We cut out the plastic "grill" and used the grill that came with the speaker. I have an 8" sub with 100 watt amp and I get no door vibration.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I've upgraded my speakers to Alpine Type-S, and I get some rattles and vibrations up front. To fix this I do one of two things. 1. Turn down the bass on the speakers and turn up the subwoofer, or 2. tighten the screws holding the speakers on the doors (this sounds better). I don't remember an vibrations before I replaced the speakers, but I'm sure it did it some.

So yes, the vibrations are very very annoying.

You may want to try Dynamat, or one of those things like it - there's a billion of them and they all seem to do the same thing. It's just kinda pricey.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the stock system doesn't have a sub :( and I was initially planning on using dynamat, or an equivalent, but after taking off the door panel and seeing this massive noise sheet I didn't know where to start. I believe that the plastic sheet is the root of the problem. Also I have tightened the speaker to the mounts as much as possible with no luck. Also note that the vibrations are only severe on certain low frequencies. If you take a look at the door without the panel, you'll see that the speaker is mounted on metal and is facing toward the grill on the plastic panel, however, since speakers emits sound waves in both directions, the opposite end emits sound into the door cavity, which happens to be sealed off with the plastic and as a direct result, it vibrates like crazy, or at least in my car. It's kinda hard to explain but if you take a look yourself or at some pics, you hopefully can see what I mean.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found a diagram of the door, the "service cover" as it is called in the manual is clearly seen in this diagram. I have highlighted the perimeter in red and the speaker is blue.

As you can see, the speaker emits sound both outward into the car and in the opposite direction into the cavity where it pressures the sheet of plastic and vibrates it in my case.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The sheet of plastic is primarially used to keep out condensation. When I put new components in my doors, I threw that plastic out. I don't feel it has much of a use.

I've also used a single layer of Second Skin's Damplifier Pro product on the door itself. Second Skin makes much better product than many other sound dampeners on the market.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.