Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a little silly to post in here but I think it is a major upgrade.

I grew tired of the "moped" horn on my xB, so I started hunting a replacement. Decent aftermarket horns were in the $30-$50 per pair range, so I visited a local salvage company that specializes in disassembling very new imports. 10 bucks later, I was the proud owner of a pair of Fiam horns from a Mazda 6 that looked like brand new.

I had to mount them more to the center behind the grill due to their larger size but was able to use existing holes, bolts, and even brackets. The sound is incredible and LOUD! The new horns actually pull less amperage than the OEM horns, so using the same horn wiring was not a problem. Once it was all buttoned up, nothing is visible at all. Cheap and very effective mod... I love it!

If you should decide to do this, all you need is two horns with about 6 inches of their plug and wiring, two male spade connectors, two wire ties, and about 30 minutes. Make sure you get single wire horns and that they are fairly small. Honda Accord and Mazda 6 are good sources. I sourced a low and high note horn so the tone had a nice sound. Although the spade connector will plug into the factory plug, I recommend using good electrical tape on the connections just to make sure there isn't a chance of them coming unplugged. No wiring was cut for this installation.

The blue tape is just there to keep my grille from scratching the bumper when removing and reassembling.

G

·
VERY NICE! Good write up and description and with pix! Karma for the effort and idea. I HATE my little horn its almost as bad as my honda horn. Id love to get a giant horn but I think its going to cost me a few coin.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
The Fiam ones aren't bad.
They are available from autoparts places and don't cost much more than $10.
I have some like that on my Miata. Good sound.
I got those at either Advance or Autozone a half-dacade or so ago. No problems and they work fine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just realized I screwed up in the original post. It should have read "$30 to $50 per PAIR"...not each. Sorry 'bout that. Didn't mean to mislead.

Thanks everybody for the kind words. The horn sounds fantastic now!

·
Registered
281 Posts
One benefit of the "meep meep" horn is that it tends to reduce road rage; I'm less likely to use it cause I know it sounds so weenie and if I do get mad and use it, half the time it makes me laugh :D

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
The images were working when he posted.

I can understand the road rage thing, but I have had to many close calls when someone has tried to merge into me and not heard me on the horn. With the new horn thats not a problem. Its scares the crap out of most people.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.