Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I'm having 2011 Scion xb issues and am wondering if anyone has advice please.
So it started with low, intermittent, fluctuating idle, it would drop down to 4,000 rpm and act like it's going to stall but never does. It's never thrown a code either. I know what it's not lol 😂, I'll go down the line of things done.
Battery
Alternator
Throttle body cleaning
Clutch
Sea foamed it
Idle relearn
The motor blower was making noise, I went to replace it and found a leaf and stick in it.
Nothing came up on both diagnostics.
It failed smog with a bad mass air flow sensor, replaced that because cleaning it didn't fix it. It passed smog after that. Then started doing it again really bad at every stop. I'm wondering if it's a bad mass air flow sensor again but I think it would have failed smog idk.
No code 😅
Thank you in advance ☺

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm also interested in the throttle body cleaning. Some say to clean it while on the car. Others say remove the body to clean it and be sure to use a new gasket
which is not a cost issue ($4.00). Special cleaners that say 'throttle body cleaner' are not much. A clean, lint free, cloth seems to be the answer. Four bolts hold it on.
BTW, the dealer wants A LOT to do it ($70.00)!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sea foamed the engine first to clean the throttle body and when that didn't work I ended up paying the $400 at the dealership to clean it professionally and that still didn't help the idle. The dealership even did a diagnostic and that's what they came up with, such a waste of money, wish I just did it myself. I believe removing the throttle body to clean it is best, it's pretty easy to do, there's videos on YouTube that shows you but you have to find the one that does it the right way. I seen on one of the forums to look under the battery for a plug that wasn't seated and I found one and plugged it in, so far so good. It was directly under where the battery sits, it plugged into a metal piece that was sticking out. It didn't look super electrical but for some reason when I hooked the battery back up and did the idle relearn the idle seems to be fine now. I'm not going to get my hopes up though, it's done this to me a few times where I think it's fixed and it goes right back to low intermittent fluctuating idle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello, I'm having 2011 Scion xb issues and am wondering if anyone has advice please.
So it started with low, intermittent, fluctuating idle, it would drop down to 4,000 rpm and act like it's going to stall but never does. It's never thrown a code either. I know what it's not lol 😂, I'll go down the line of things done.
Battery
Alternator
Throttle body cleaning
Clutch
Sea foamed it
Idle relearn
The motor blower was making noise, I went to replace it and found a leaf and stick in it.
Nothing came up on both diagnostics.
It failed smog with a bad mass air flow sensor, replaced that because cleaning it didn't fix it. It passed smog after that. Then started doing it again really bad at every stop. I'm wondering if it's a bad mass air flow sensor again but I think it would have failed smog idk.
No code 😅
Thank you in advance ☺
When I had my 2009, ( pic) a new PCV valve. That should do the trick. Hopefully
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you 😊 I just changed it, fingers crossed 🤞 I'll give an update, hopefully this $9 fix does the trick
Sadly that wasn't it either and had the spark plugs changed as well, that wasn't it. Thinking maybe the throttle position sensor next but it isn't throwing a code. Thank you for the reply though, that was a good suggestion

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sadly that wasn't it either and had the spark plugs changed as well, that wasn't it. Thinking maybe the throttle position sensor next but it isn't throwing a code. Thank you for the reply though, that was a good suggestion
You'll figure it out- We gearheads always do!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts