Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a pretty mild fall it just got cold in Minnesota. My low tire pressure light came on. I have not checked the PSI yet, but have done a walk around every morning and kicked the tires. Nothing seems lower than the rest. I need to get the tire gague out of my wife's car to check mine, but I think/hope it is just the cold.

I didn't get this light last winter though, or I did and thought it was an ice warning.

(w!w)

· Registered
474 Posts
Dutch said:
So after a pretty mild fall it just got cold in Minnesota. My low tire pressure light came on. I have not checked the PSI yet, but have done a walk around every morning and kicked the tires. Nothing seems lower than the rest. I need to get the tire gague out of my wife's car to check mine, but I think/hope it is just the cold.

I didn't get this light last winter though, or I did and thought it was an ice warning.

(w!w)
I live in SW Florida and have had the light come on twice in almost 2 years now...both times during cooler weather...both times I need to add maybe 5-6 lbs to one or two tires.... Kicking the tires will not get it...so get the gauge out!

Brewski

· Premium Member
1,052 Posts
COLD.. yep. though not very, low 40's! Mine came on, the dealer refilled the tires at my last service so I didn't know for sure if I had a low one or not. A week later it came back on, so I filled it myself at Wawa. Turned out to be the driver side front, it actually looked a tad low. Light went out. Few days ago it came back on. I'm not dealing with this all winter, so I took it to a tire repair shop. Turned out I had a screw in the tire.

First time this has happened, it's good to know even a small change will trigger the warning. Gave me a chance to get the tire fixed before it went all flat.

· Premium Member
811 Posts
I only have 11,500 and I've had the car 16 months. Had left front tire cause light to come on last winter; and, since I've had two services and rotations, that same tire is back up front and low again. I'm sure the change in temperatures triggers this because it does usually happen late in the year. Oh, and hubby did take them to a tire shop. All they did was pump them up.

· Registered
167 Posts
The G35 and my xB both have TPS and it seems that around the first real drop in temp. will cause the light to come on. I add a few lbs of air and I'm good to go.

· Registered
782 Posts
In case anybody here isn't aware, as temperature drops, confined gases exert less pressure against their confinement (tires in this case). Likewise, as temperature increases, the pressure they exert increases as well. This is entirely normal gas behavior, and that includes air.

Hence, if your tires are actually properly inflated on the coldest days of winter, you can expect to have to release some air after the weather warms up -- otherwise they will become overinflated :).

· Registered
318 Posts
my car actually rides really rough after sitting in the cold for a while. i think the rubber gets hard and it causes flat spots like on tires when they get too hot in the summer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.