Scion XB Forum banner

Lowered in rear only.....

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  gs_aristo 
#1 ·
So I have a 2009 XB (STOCK), and have the TRD lowering springs installed.....

The car bottomed out and tires made contact in the front end sometimes when hitting bumps on the highway making a loud rubbing noise which inevitably ended up ripping out the passenger black plastic liner at about 70 mph.... I was able to recover the liner and reinstall just fine, and immediately went to the shop and had the stock springs put back in the front end.

So after they were installed I thought the car looked awesome and level looking with just the rear lowering springs installed.

Been driving that way for about a year now, but have always felt like the front end of the car is unstable and loose feeling.

Have had the car in the shop multiple times, and:

1. Alignment perfect
2. All components are tight and working as should be
3. NO ISSUES....

So is it because its only lowered in the rear ????

ANY ADVICE HERE ????

I want the lowered look, but I need to be able to drive faster then 70 mph without feeling like the car is all over the road.... so I either need to:

1. raise it (I hate that look)
2. lower the front end again and find a way to fix from bottoming out
3. or find the real source to the problem if its something other then the suspension mod

HELPPPPPP ????

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
It's very possible that the front is lifting up at speed and that's why it feels "loose"....it IS loose.

My advice (since you asked) would be to put in all 4 TRD springs, at least that way they will work together as designed.

You must change the way you drive with lowering springs. Even with just Tanabe NF210s I have to tackle driveways differently. I only bottom out on the freeway at speed on the very worst swells and bumps. After I know where they are, I change lanes to avoid them.

#3 ·
I have tein s tech lowering springs and I don't have any issues with bottoming out even at 85mph. Pick up a set of those. Shouldn't be too much. I don't know if the front just feels Loose because of the stock springs being softer and more "squishy" than the back which are obviously tighter and lower giving you a tighter feeling in the rear. I've honestly never heard of anyone using stock and aftermarket springs at the same time in my 7-8 years being on different forums so I would recommend using all 4 the same types of springs with the same spring rates and all that good stuff.

#4 ·
Yeah it wasn't my intent to run stock and lowered at the same time. Just ended up that way.

I'm used to taking driveways etc with a lowered car but frikn California around Fresno has the worst roads with aggressive bumps and pot holes and changing lanes isn't an option. There everywhere !!!

What about rolling the fenders or something like that ??

Has anyone done that to give the front tires enough room to stroke in the fender without making contact ??

#6 ·
good luck!!! Post pics please! :D

#8 ·
when you installed the springs did you cut the bump stops as it says on the instructions or did you cut a lot more?

i was on 19x8.5 and i cut about a 1/4" more then in the instructions and i would hit the liner once in a while especially in deeper pot holes that LA freeways have and sometimes cant be avoided.

#10 ·
well went in with the intention of lowering the front and rolling the fenders only to find out that no matter what i do the fenders will still hit the tires...... time to find new wheels.... thanking of going with the steelie wheel with a set of white wall tires..... i love the whole rat rod look

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.