Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I did the stupid thing and just used lowering springs.... I live in Chicago and the ride quality is absolute dog poo. I would like to get the most comfortable ride out of my ride but I don't want to go too extreme on price...
Any suggestions?

Much Appreciated

Also in another article someone mentioned putting a lexus suspension on the xb.... might fit... anyone know of this being done and if so what suspension fits the xB2

·
Registered
979 Posts
If you want a lowering spring the NF210's are supposed to give a very comfortable ride. The drop is supposed to be the same at TRD, but with a softer ride.

·
Registered
661 Posts
First off welcome!

Secondly, I sooo feel ya about our glorious roads, the winter has tore em up bad. I cant help so much on springs or suspension. I picked up a set of racelands (coilovers) over the winter. My initial plan is to ride stock in the winter and swap to the coilovers for the summer. Guess ill see how that plan actually works as I do it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
You definitely have some of the worst roads to deal with, I've driven there and the potholes are a wonder. Part of the issue is the relatively low weight of the vehicle and the fact that most lowering spring have a stiffer pring rate to help against bottoming out. Of the springs out there the Tanabe NF210s are reported to have the softest spring rate but it will still be stiffer than stock.

Coil-overs with a set of low lb-ft springs would be a better option. That way you could lower the sping perch to get the desired ride height and still have a softer spring,. You would still need to watch out for bottoming out from the spring rate though and of course it cost quite a bit more than lowering springs. Here is a spring rate calculator so you can get an idea of what different spring rate would feel like. Spring Rate Calculator « Ridetech News and Information

Another option would be to go with an air ride system. As you air out the effective spring rate is lowered giving you a softer ride but again you have to watch for bottoming out and it is more expensive than coilovers with more maintanence.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have tein springs on stock struts and the ride of course is a lil stiffer but I don't think its bad at all. And I've never bottomed out. Greg s is pretty spot on with all he said as well. Pretty much all springs and coilovers will have a much stiffer ride than stock. Since you would be lowering the ride height then in return the springs get stiffer to keep from bottoming out. Lower and stiffer unfortunately go hand in hand. If its the ride you are worried about then id recommend staying stock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
much respect

Hey thanks for all the responses I bought some on eBay for like 80 bucks... I know I know dumba$$ anyways I'm prolly gonna pick up some of those Tanabe DF210's. And I thought about the air ride but the expense is the major turn off about that. I was also thinking about the raceland coil-overs but I'm not gonna change anything until these polar vortexes move outta here.... Again thanks for the responses promptly.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I'm prolly gonna pick up some of those Tanabe DF210's. I'm not gonna change anything until these polar vortexes move outta here...
If you want comfort and have to deal with snow then you may want to get Tanabe NF210 springs instead. The NF210 is only 5% stiffer than stock, whereas the DF210 is 15% stiffer than stock. The drop will be less than the DF210, which will allow more suspension travel and also allow more ground clearance for snow.

Tanabe USA Inc. - NF210 Normal Feeling Springs

Tanabe USA Inc. - DF210 Dress-Up Form Springs

·
Registered
979 Posts
...and also allow more ground clearance for snow.
I'm in the Chicago area too. I just put my TRD's on this summer and there were a few times I was plowing snow with my bumper coming up my driveway this winter lol! That was a first for me.

·
Registered
601 Posts
What springs did you use? I'm just lowered on trd springs/stock shocks and the ride is fine. I live in Los Angeles too, so I know about **** roads. http://www.autoguide.com/mobile
LA, lol. I've been there a bunch. You don't have winter. You have lots of nice concrete highways and smooth asphalt, and pretty landscaping along every road. Ok I'm sure there are potholes and some streets aren't as nice, but we have to resurface our asphalt highways it seems like almost every friggin year in the midwest. Freeze, thaw, freeze thaw, snow, ice, salt, trucks, potholes, patching, repatching over and over, sealing cracks, heat, humidity, partially melting asphalt. The highways we have that are concrete last fairly long, but when they start chunking up too, they put asphalt on top.
@zinger - I was plowing snow this past winter and I'm stock height. I wish I had a paved driveway - I can shovel it well since it's rock. And don't get me started on our alley.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I picked up a set of Eibach's Prokit from Slorocket here awhile back and I think I can safely say that if you hate stiffness, steer clear of these. The stiffness doesn't bother me (even when it comes to motorcycles I prefer hard-tails) I just love feeling the road and you have so much more control when it's stiffer, theres just that brutal price to pay that isn't for everyone. I hear the Tein's arent so bad in fact I think Willie has them on his box and I've rode with him before and his is smooth.

Edit: brain fart, Willie just mentioned that in the first page hahaha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.