Scion XB Forum banner

lowering springs

5K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Eric 
#1 ·
i lowerd my xb about 3 months ago maybe longer so this is a ? for those who have has your car started to rattle at the front or make squeekky sounds?

#4 ·
It might be because you changed the springs and not the shocks as well. I know that TRD says the springs will work on factory shocks/struts but the truth is they don't last long if you don't have a spring/shock combo designed to work together. I got a nice set for my Jetta and did my research finding the best one I could. Lots of complaints were the ride getting stiffer, ride actually dropping lower after breakin period and other wear issues. However the ones I got the same ride and height and love them. So not sure but the shocks may help. If not then I may just need to wait till other companies make a set.

#5 ·
yeah that make sense i asked about that but like you wrote it shouldnt be a probleme but man i cant even describe to you the horrible squeeking that comes from the front dash panel i literraly cant drive without music. :( but the ride is graet stiff but nto so bad on stock tires once you get rims im sure that will all change but man the cornering is tottaly worth it.

#6 ·
Yeah I gotta stiffen up the ride. When I test drove it I almost took the exit ramp the same as I would in my Jetta. That was a bad idea :rofl:
I think though I will go the strut tower and sway bar route before the srings. Plus larger rims with smaller tires will stiffen the ride quite a bit. I like the look of a lowered car but its a bit expensive on the xB. I only payed $600 for my kit on the Jetta. The TRD stuff though is gonna run around $900 just for parts. I usually do my own installation but after doing it on the Jetta I think I will pay to install it the next time around.

#7 ·
Any time you do suspension work you run the risk of ending up w/ more rattles and squeaks. It's just the price we pay for a better ride... the tC was pretty bad in that regard IMO. If you can find what's rubbing in your dash, you may be able to put a little lube or piece of rubber between the pieces causing the noise when they hit/rub together. If your springs were installed at the dealer, you could always ask them to take a look at it.

#8 ·
they werent but hey im already so far into it just yesterday i ordered a strust and sway bar my way of fixxing the sound... two 12's :D in the back its going to soinds crazzyy lol . everyone i talked to said its a price you pay liek you sadi i jsut thaught it was only my car maybe something was wronge but i guess not which is goodd... by the way eric your ahndeling is going to improve sooo much i love it i jsut cant wait to see what will strsut bar and sway bar bring.

#9 ·
alrighty then............

Well, I'm thinking about lowering my xB. I was thinking about the TRD springs, but they're so expensive and only a 1" drop.

Are there any other lowering springs that you guys would recommend/have used?

Also, how do you think the car would be effected driving in the snow with lowering springs? Would the front of my xB become a plow?

FYI, I plan on adding 19" in the near future... not TRD though.

Thanks....

#11 ·
toker4two0 said:
alrighty then............

Well, I'm thinking about lowering my xB. I was thinking about the TRD springs, but they're so expensive and only a 1" drop.

Are there any other lowering springs that you guys would recommend/have used?

Also, how do you think the car would be effected driving in the snow with lowering springs? Would the front of my xB become a plow?

FYI, I plan on adding 19" in the near future... not TRD though.

Thanks....

i have trd springs and thier alot more then an inch and no your car doesnt become a snow plow ive been driving in the chicago snow car drives fine no major probs. the lowering is prolly 1 2/4

#12 ·
thats good to know because I lowered my Jetta and it became a snow plow this winter hehe. I have to say though, it looks so much better with out the wheel gap that I love my drop no matter what. Still may do it eventually in the xB but I wanna wait and see what after market offers. Most cars you could get coilovers for the cost of the TRD springs and shocks. Although you will stay under warrenty with TRD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.