Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know magnaflow has a reputable name. I was just wondering if their exhaust was really worth the price. would I be paying for better sound? Performance? Or both compared to others like borla strup and trd. Let me know what you guys think.

· Registered
286 Posts
I just purchased and installed the TRD Sport Exhaust about two weeks ago. Although the price was a bit high, I bought this one because of sound. I did not want anything too loud but at the same time I did notice the improved performance. There is no droning sound inside the cabin which can be annoying. I thing the sound fits the car.

· Registered
286 Posts
p.s. I paid $378 for the TRD

· Registered
94 Posts
I bought the Magnaflow Catback on line and it was a god price. It was delivered right to my condo door in a box that had the exhaust surrounded by form fitted foam. You can do this yourself. I went to my local Scion dealer and they refuse to put anything on a car you don't buy through them. So I went to a local Magnaflow retailer in my area (Wicked Customs, Naples FL). They charged me $80 to install. The one problem they had was they said the clamp sent wasn't the right one--it wouldn't tighten enough. They took care of it and they also do stainless welding so they welded some at the connections so there wouldn't be any leakage. I completed the warranty on line with magnaflow. Inside the car I barely notice any difference in noise (with the windows up) except when coasting to a stop like at a light I can hear a low throaty sound. I noticed an improvement even in the mpg. I since added the TRD CAI and that only gets load if you jump on it.
I researched exhausts of all types and after all the reading everything added up to magnaflow being tops (IMO).

· Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright I just picked up a 3 month used one from eBay for $280 shipped. I'm pretty excited. So is this not a do it yourself type exhaust?

· Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For an even trade???

· Registered
94 Posts
MenniFresh said:
Alright I just picked up a 3 month used one from eBay for $280 shipped. I'm pretty excited. So is this not a do it yourself type exhaust?
Yes it is a do it yourself--very simple. Watch the video on Magnaflow on line--even for another vehicle. I think in my case I either had a wrong size or bad size clamp shipped with it and the installer didn't have one in my size (Wicked Customs does mostly big pick up trucks etc). I just wanted "an authorized dealer" to install for the warranty as my car is only a few months old. Don't know why I am so paranoid... my Hyundai never had a problem in the first 5 yr/60,000 of that warranty, and my Camry never had a problem in its warranty period either (gave that car to the daughter and she drove it until it was 9 years old with 168,000 miles, and she was hard on cars!)

· Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright that's good to here! Thanks a lot for your help. Everything I've done to my xb so far I've done myself. So I want to keep it that way.

· Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm having a problem getting the second bolt on where it connects to the converter. It's like it's the wrong part because the separation between the converters holes and the bolts seems too far.Could I just have it welded on?

· Registered
614 Posts
MenniFresh said:
I'm having a problem getting the second bolt on where it connects to the converter. It's like it's the wrong part because the separation between the converters holes and the bolts seems too far.Could I just have it welded on?
Did you ever get it connected? What did you eventually have to do to get it to work?

· Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got it on i just used bolts that i bought with a nut and washers because the bolts they had have springs and i couldnt compress them enough for some reason.

· Registered
254 Posts
i don't know that that is the picture of the CAI for the xB though....? maybe the xDs?

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
That looks like the one in my xB . . .
So, I'd say its xB TRD.

The main cross-over tube is polished aluminum and the airbox/filter looks just like that. Also, that airbox design is a main reason that the intake grill doesn't cause water problems. You see, the top of the vent is lower than the inlet at the top of the box. It is also is why the TRD CAI makes a "ram air" effect better than even most "RAM" CAIs. You see, the vent pressurizes the fender and that pressurized air does into the airbox and up through the tube. Several reviews in 2008 and 2009 compared the various xB2 intakes in mid and high range results on a dyno-run. They also noted the TRD design is aimed at also making a ram-air effect at speed, which couldn't be replicated unless one had a dyno inside a windtunnel. Such would allow the effect of moving at 60-80 MPH (or faster) upon an intake to be measured more accurately. Now, such probably exists for manufacturers, magazines don't have general access to such, only one or the other.

Oh, and I tried to find a link to the articles I remember reading (which informed me to get the TRD intake as one of my first mods), but couldn't get my google-mojo-voodoo to work enough to "pop" one up.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.