Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Um, this is a naive question, but I want to know what things (and at what times/mileages) to do to maintain my xB, above and beyond what's in the xB maintenance log. Cars I have owned in the past I haven't cared much about, so was pretty lax on maintenance. Things like brakes, radiator flush, rotating tires, etc. In the past, for instance, I have neglected brake pads until there was metal grinding on metal.

I love my xB and want to do everything right this time, so any suggestions are helpful.

Thanks in advance to this great community.

RG

·
Registered
476 Posts
In the back of the owners manual is a schedule that you can follow. It covers just about all things needed for the xB far into the future. If you follow the checks in the manual you will be able to keep an eye on things like the brakes.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hey Ryeguy, I feel the same way you do.

Following the manual is the best way I have to agree. I would also add vigilance. I make sure I am vigilant in knowing everything going on with the car. I keep the engine bay as clean as I can. I use good gas in the xB. I will make sure to use good quality oil when the oil change time comes around. I also keep my ears open to the sounds that my xB makes. I know that might sound strange but it makes it easy to tell when something isn't sounding right. Following the manual and vigilance would be my suggestions.

I am right there with you making sure I take better care of the xB than I have my previous cars. :D

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hey Ryeguy,

One of the tings i have allways done on both my bikes and car is a saturday morning walkaround. Check all the fluid levels, air filter, tire pressure etc,etc. Then every other oil change i rotate the tires and inspect the brake pads. Since the XB oil change is every 5k, I'll inspect the pads every oil change. This is in addition to whats in the manual. just some hints.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
callmemrbill said:
Hey Ryeguy, I feel the same way you do.

Following the manual is the best way I have to agree. I would also add vigilance. I make sure I am vigilant in knowing everything going on with the car. I keep the engine bay as clean as I can. I use good gas in the xB. I will make sure to use good quality oil when the oil change time comes around. I also keep my ears open to the sounds that my xB makes. I know that might sound strange but it makes it easy to tell when something isn't sounding right. Following the manual and vigilance would be my suggestions.

I am right there with you making sure I take better care of the xB than I have my previous cars. :D
What brand oil is a good one mrbill?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yeah I have heard that and also read it in the manual. I have been having a hard time finding the 0W-20 anywhere. So I will be checking with the dealer when I go in for my oil change.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Only if it gets extremely cold in your area and you keep the car parked outside. If you wake up to 20 degree or lower temps on a regular basis and the car stays parked outside all night long then yes go with a thicker oil. Other then that not really that important.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I thought you went with thinner oil in the winter cause thick oil gets thicker the colder it gets making it hard for the engine to turn over when you try to start it in the morn.

Lone Wolf

·
Registered
635 Posts
Well the manual says to use 0W-20 in the hotter weather and 5W-20 in the colder weather. I am having a heck of a time finding 0W-20 so I need to see if it will be fine to use 5W-20 all the time. I want to make sure that I get the OK on that from the dealer as you just never know what will void a warranty.

As for the car being outside and cold. During the winter it gets extremely cold here. I live in Salt lake City and it can get in the single digits. Most of you know what thats like if you live on the east coast. And yes I live in an apartment, and there are no garages available.

So I will be checking with the dealer on what oil would be best. Since I have to go purchase it and take it there. I don't want to pay a dollar or two extra for them to buy it. The oil costs about $5.50 a quart here, so I am thinking at least an extra $30.00 onto each oil change for the oil. Thank goodness the first 2 are free. Even though they will cost me the oil.

Sometimes I think I go overboard on all this, and have been told I am a little crazy. But I spent alot of money on this car and I want it to run for a long time and with proper maintenance I will get a n ice long life out of it. I mean even if you don't take care of Toyota's they run forever, I can just imagine how long and good it will run by me taking extra special care of it.

I have the same issue with gas. I will only use the top tier fuels. Most people say well thats why gas cost you so much. But I have to feel like there is some merit in using good oils and good gasolines. Ok there you go, more than anyone asked for...... :lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
My local Wal-Mart sells 0W-20 Mobil 1 in one quart containers for about $6. They usually only have 5 or 6 so I check it every time I go and buy them out when they have some.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've used Castrol Syntec oil in my Jeep Wrangler for 170k miles. I *highly* recommend it. Plus, ya don't have to change it as often.

I was stuck in traffic in my Accord when the water pump went out. I couldn't get out of traffic to the side before it blew the radiator and the engine overheated. The mechanic said the Syntec oil was probably what saved me from ruining the engine. The engine fan was still blowing the next morning when I got up! :eek:

I also recommend K&N air filters and oil filters.

But then, I live on the Gulf Coast, and we get upset if the temperature gets below 50F, so that may not all apply to cold conditions. :)

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
lone wolf said:
I thought you went with thinner oil in the winter cause thick oil gets thicker the colder it gets making it hard for the engine to turn over when you try to start it in the morn.

Lone Wolf
Oh yeah um thinner thats what I ment hehe.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I got the TRD air filter option on the car as well as the TRD muffler. I didn't add the TRD oil filter as no one could explain to me why it was better than a regular oil filter. So when I go in for the first oil change I will see if the dealer I take it to can tell me. (I am not taking it to the dealer I bought it from for service. That is a whole other book.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am 70 and had a number of cars without any major problems. The reason, is CHANGE the
engine oil every 5K without fail and trans oil every 50K.

Have fun with the new XB.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
pismodon said:
I am 70 and had a number of cars without any major problems. The reason, is CHANGE the

welcome!!! tell us about your ride!!!

·
Registered
635 Posts
pismodon said:

Welcome to the site. Kudos for your post.... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
pismodon said:

Welcome to NSxB pismodon!!

glad to see you are enjoying your new xB! pretty hard not to, eh? :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts