Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this, so forgive me if it is not! What is the maintenance schedule for the xB 2008? When should the sparkplugs be change, does the xB have a stainless steel exhaust system? I can't find this stuff in the booklet that they gave me when I took one for a ride and haven't had a chance to go back and ask them yet.

I don't want to cut corners on price when buying a car only to find out that the parts replacement will eat into my savings.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Almost the right place, but you probably should have started your own thread. Eric may be able to come in and split this conversation into its own thread for you (hint hint eric).

Anyway, I don't have an xB, I have a tC but seeing as how they are the same engine I would imagine the service requirements are the same, and to that effect:

Q: When should the spark-plugs be changed
A: I believe its every 30K miles.

Q: Does the xB have a stainless steel exhaust system
A: I can't say for certain, but most likely not.

For an idea of the maintenance schedule, and prices if you weren't planning on doing any of the work yourself, check out Bob Howard Scion's website where they list the service and price for scions: http://www.bobhowardscion.com/DealerPrice.asp?DepartmentID=5
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
The info should be in your drivers kit.....Plugs are good for a very long time :yes: The first 2 service visits are free.........Make sure they do the tire rotation with the oil change :yes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
I didn't really want to start a new thread for this, so sorry if I hijacked the thread..

I got the Toyota Autocare 4yr/55kmile prepaid maintenance for $1250. Is that worth it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,904 Posts
microfridge said:
I didn't really want to start a new thread for this, so sorry if I hijacked the thread..

I got the Toyota Autocare 4yr/55kmile prepaid maintenance for $1250. Is that worth it?
I guess it depends on what it includes... I suggest calling your service dept. and asking them for the cost for each of the scheduled maintenances. If you go in, they may be able to give you a print out of what each includes and the cost. Or you could note it in your Scheduled Maintenance Guide. I did notice that it stops short of the 60k mile one, which, I believe, is a biggie...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you saying that the maintenance (oil, filter) price is $1250.00? Does that include such things as brakes, shocks? My dealer has the extended warranty which was something like $950.00 for 6 years ( I forget the mileage) plus there is a $50.00 deductible each time I used it. The Scion comes with a 3 year/ 36k bumper to bumper and then the powertrain goes upto 60k, so really I was just buying a 3 years warranty and I declined.

My dealer has a Service Feature for $129.00 yr. which includes 3 oil/filter changes, tire rotation(once yr.) plus a 21 point safety inspection and 15% off accessories.
I might buy the Service Feature after my 2 free oil changes and use the 15% accessories discount to purchase the nicer wheels for the xB.

Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
I searched the internet when I found this:

http://www.toyotafinancial.com/consumer/tfs.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pg_TACPrepaidMaintenance

What I got was the 5000-mile interval premium plan for 4 yrs/55k miles. It basically includes oil change, filter change, 19-point inspection, lubricants and key chassis parts, and 24-hour roadside assistance. Also includes major maintenances at 15k, 30k, and 45k. I actually got it cheaper than the suggested retail price of $1335. However, I know that for Scion xB, the 5k and 10k oil change are free anyway.

Guess I'll give the dealership a call for estimates on these services. I should also get a program brochure, which the dealership forgot to give me. I'm going back next week to install my alarm system. :yes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Does anyone else's xB have a lot of play in the E brake. After picking up the kid last night I noticed that the brake light keeped coming on, on the dash. After checking the brake lever I noticed that it has enough free movement to activate the warning light and alarm from the full down position.

Maybe I never noticed it before but I thought it was odd. Is anyone else having this problem? I setup a service on Saturday morning so once I know what is happening I will let you know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
scion said:
Are you saying that the maintenance (oil, filter) price is $1250.00? Does that include such things as brakes, shocks? My dealer has the extended warranty which was something like $950.00 for 6 years ( I forget the mileage) plus there is a $50.00 deductible each time I used it. The Scion comes with a 3 year/ 36k bumper to bumper and then the powertrain goes upto 60k, so really I was just buying a 3 years warranty and I declined.

My dealer has a Service Feature for $129.00 yr. which includes 3 oil/filter changes, tire rotation(once yr.) plus a 21 point safety inspection and 15% off accessories.
I might buy the Service Feature after my 2 free oil changes and use the 15% accessories discount to purchase the nicer wheels for the xB.

Good luck
the service feature is a good price!

the Scion scheduled maintenance guide has the scheduled maintenance including your 2 free oil changes and these engines do not need spark plugs for a longggg time...

the maintenance guide goes up to 120k miles and and the 120k service shows spark plug replacement [required under terms for emmissions warranty]

you can get the .pdf file of the maintenance guide here:

http://www.scion.com/assets/pdf/xB_maintenance/maintenanceguide_08.pdf
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
I forgot to post the response from the dealer about the excessive play in the E-brake. The service guy says that it is acceptable play in the brake lever. I asked him if they would tighten the cable so it wouldn't bounce up and activate the warning light and buzzer. He told me that since it is not affecting the operation on the vehicle I would have to pay for it. So I wrote to Scion and am waiting on their response.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CamSr. It is great that you wrote Scion about this problem, but I would have talked to the Service Manager or dealership owner first. The play might be within specs. but the light coming on isn't normal for a vehicle if something isn't right.

I believe that Scion will cover this problem, then find another dealership and tell the owner why you will never be back for service or to purchase another vehicle. A wise dealer would have taken care of this problem to have customer satisfaction.

I received a survey from Scion asking me how I would rate the service department where I purchased my Scion. Since I haven't even had my Scion long enough to have it serviced, even for an oil change, I haven't sent it in yet. Scion keeps calling me to find out why I haven't completed the survey yet. I keep telling them the same thing over and over, when I use the service department, I will have an answer to put down on the survey.

I hope this works our for you. Good luck!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
CamSr said:
Does anyone else's xB have a lot of play in the E brake. After picking up the kid last night I noticed that the brake light keeped coming on, on the dash. After checking the brake lever I noticed that it has enough free movement to activate the warning light and alarm from the full down position.

Maybe I never noticed it before but I thought it was odd. Is anyone else having this problem? I setup a service on Saturday morning so once I know what is happening I will let you know.
[revised]
my ebrake has a little play before it starts catching [about an inch] but no dash light problems...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Wow, they told you that you would have to pay to fix the problem with the e- brake! That shows defective parts or workmanship in the product and they should have apologized and fixed it immediately. I think you should name the dealership in this thread so others in your area are aware of this. I am glad that you wrote to scion they should know about this. My guess is that they will eventually fix it but you should not be scammed into paying for that. It's not normal for the e-brake light to come on like that. Well you definately have something to write in the comment section on your scion survey.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
I did get my survey the other day, but I am going to go back to the dealership this weekend to give them another chance to correct it. Seeing since I haven't even made my first payment. I am going to wait to complete the survey until then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
CamSr said:
I did get my survey the other day, but I am going to go back to the dealership this weekend to give them another chance to correct it. Seeing since I haven't even made my first payment. I am going to wait to complete the survey until then.
speak to the general manager if the service director can not assist you - i bet you will be taken care of promptly...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
CamSr. Take the survey with you and tell them you will fill this out after your conversation with them. Make sure you ask the service writer/ manager/dealership owner how to correctly spell their names!!!!

What they did so far is unacceptable!!!

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Sorry everyone for taking so long to get back on this. I took back the car talked to the sales person and manager. They adjusted the tension on the e-brake, gave me a loaner for the inconvience. After I got the car back everything seems to be in good working order. A few days after I received a formal apology and thank you letter in the mail.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top