Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just had a most unpleasant visit to my dealer. I had scheduled my 2nd free oil/service for this morning and was informed (once I got there) that it was no longer valid, because I had 18k miles on my car. Even though I've only had it 10 months, they said the cut off is 12k miles or 12 months, which ever comes first. What a bunch of bullcrap. No where on the website does it say anything about this cutoff limit. Check for yourself under http://www.scion.com/#faq_main and click on the "complimentary service" section. I didn't even know about the free oil/service offering until I read it in Car & Driver and then went to the website to check.

So I politely tell the service clerk, "OK, guess I will have to cancel, its not in my budget right now to pay $80 or whatever for this service." So he proceeds out to the bay and yells loudly to the guy driving my car off, "Hey, don't take it back, this guy can't afford to pay for the service". Wow, that was some stellar customer service. :eek:hno:

What a way to start my day...

Morale of the story. Get your freebies done before the lame cutoff period kicks in.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Did you actually wait 18k miles before your 2nd oil change? Had my first done at 5k in Vegas, and 10k back home in PA.

Still they shouldn't yell out that you couldn't afford the service. Thats just wrong. You should get on the scion page and send in a complaint. They will take care of you.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Putting aside that you waited too long (and you ignored the MAINT REQD light for 13000 miles?!?!), the dealer should have told when you bought your xB about the 2 services. Can't say if I reacll mine telling me about a limit mileage/time-wise, but I also drive on the lower end of average every year. And talk about rude... Definitley tell Scion about this dealer's behavior in the service department. If you complain right, you might even get a freebie out of them :) Tell them what happened, but try to keep the anger part to a minimum.

·
Registered
42 Posts
He is right on that. Dealers will do certain things for you just to keep you coming back to their dealership. Especially if you live in a place with multiple dealerships. I actually drive past the closest dealership to my house to go to another, just for the better customer service.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, I had my oil changed prior. I change it about every 3k-4k miles. I like to change my oil prior to the light coming on. :yes:

I didn't even know about the freebie services. I happened to read the Car and Driver 2008 xB article while waiting for a haircut awhile back and saw it mentioned in the write up. It's a oil change, tire rotation and some safety checks and what not. it normally goes for $79 if I recall correctly. I had the first one done around 10k. It would have been nice customer service for them to say, btw, you know you have to redeem your 2nd oil/service by 12k miles, right? It was the same service guy then that embarrassed me today.

Anyhow, I did call and asked to speak to a customer service manager. I explained to him what happened and told him I'd probably not be coming back given what happened. I thanked him for hearing me out and bid him a good day. He stopped me and said he'd like to make it right and said to call back when I'm ready and he'd comp an oil change for me. He also said he'd have a word with the service rep and let him know he needs to be more mindful of what he hollars out across the service bay.

So I guess the issue was mostly resolved. I can rotate my own tires and check my tire pressure, etc. ;)

Geezer, this happened at Bell Road Scion. Tom (didn't get his last name) was the gentleman who offered the free oil change to try and make things right.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Yeah I don't let them rotate my tires. And a base oilchange cost me $40. I figure until warrenty is up I am gonna pay for oil changes. I usually do it myself, but I been lazy lately. Plus its so damn conveniant with the dealership being down the street from my job. I can actually walk to work from the dealership if I wanted to.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
I put 20 miles a week on my car, less than 10K a year, so I had to go in at the six-month interval. I've always taken excellent car of my vehicles because I don't want any failures. The dealership closest to my home ticked me off before I even bought the car and that's where I took my 4Runner for service. Now, I drive about 15 miles to the other dealership in town for anything, including buying this car. Maybe it's because I'm female and have gray hair, but I've not had an incident...yet. One of my friends calls them stealerships and has issues. I do have to warn them than I have underbody lights and the car is lowered, but, so far, no problems.

·
Registered
82 Posts
oil change is one of the few things you can still do yourself-i like to get dirty once in a while with my car :naughty:

and im not the type of guy who enjoys sitting a the dealership or anyplace for a hour to change the oil-
i use genuine yoda filters and now synthetic oil-

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was a store manager and I learned that if your right then you holler till someone makes it right.

I bought my vehicle on the other side of town 50 miles away since my credit union worked with them. I dont like the dealer 5 miles away so I went to the one about 10 miles south. I declined the rotation and got the oil changed. While I was getting out I moved my sun glasses and saw the tire light on. I mentioned it to the service guy and he said he would have them check it. I waited and they did the oil change. Then they told me they found a nail in both rear tires and fixed it. I went to pay the bill and found an extra $20.00 in charges. I assumed that when he told me they fixed it I would not be charged for a plug.

I told the service manager that I did not authorise the expense.I also told him that I have a plug kit next to the spare and I could get it fixed a block away for free at the Discount tire shop. He just shruged and ignored me.

I complained to the cashier as she took my credit card.

I then wrote a letter to the owner and explained that Im layed off and have a much lower income and did not appreciate the sneaky way business was done. They first tried to get an extra tire rotation out of me and I told them I could not afford it right now. Then they got me anyway.

A few days later the owner called and we discussed what happened. She told me that her son was also an oilfield worker and having problems. SHe then offered a refund of $20.00 or a coupon for an oil change. She also promised a discussion with the employee.

I will remain a customer there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Capt Richard said:
I was a store manager and I learned that if your right then you holler till someone makes it right.

I bought my vehicle on the other side of town 50 miles away since my credit union worked with them. I dont like the dealer 5 miles away so I went to the one about 10 miles south. I declined the rotation and got the oil changed. While I was getting out I moved my sun glasses and saw the tire light on. I mentioned it to the service guy and he said he would have them check it. I waited and they did the oil change. Then they told me they found a nail in both rear tires and fixed it. I went to pay the bill and found an extra $20.00 in charges. I assumed that when he told me they fixed it I would not be charged for a plug.

I told the service manager that I did not authorise the expense.I also told him that I have a plug kit next to the spare and I could get it fixed a block away for free at the Discount tire shop. He just shruged and ignored me.

I complained to the cashier as she took my credit card.

I then wrote a letter to the owner and explained that Im layed off and have a much lower income and did not appreciate the sneaky way business was done. They first tried to get an extra tire rotation out of me and I told them I could not afford it right now. Then they got me anyway.

A few days later the owner called and we discussed what happened. She told me that her son was also an oilfield worker and having problems. SHe then offered a refund of $20.00 or a coupon for an oil change. She also promised a discussion with the employee.

I will remain a customer there.
The squeaky wheel gets the oil!

Well I got my xB with 11,700 miles on it and had no idea about the free 10k mile service. I was on scion.com looking at accessories when I noticed that even subsequent owners can get it as long as you get it in before 12k miles (not a year). The original owner bought my xB in August of '07 and I got my service with 11,956 miles in May of '09! Unfortunately they got error code 04, my Left rear TPM is dormant or bad, and since I had aftermarket wheels with a locking lug (which I didn't have the key to) they couldn't take care of it; but right off the bat they said it probably wouldn't be warrantied since I had aftermarket rims. Those punks :sneaky:!

·
Registered
2008 xB
568 Posts
I took my xB in for an oil change yesterday because it will be one year old in about a week. Asked the service manager if the free service expired at one year and he told me they honor it for two years. Maybe it's up to the dealer's discretion. It's also smart business to keep your customers happy...especially in today's market.

With car sales in the toilet, service is critical to keep cash flowing. Piss off enough customers and service is in the toilet too.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'll get those two free services at 3K and 6K. I will not follow the 5K markings, due to driving in severe conditions. Vegas is freakin' HOT. Lots of stop lights, and city driving all day.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I just called my dealer as my year is coming up in a few days. They told me that it is 12K miles or 18 months. Yeah.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
I made that call today...12 months or 12K miles. I also learned that they do NOT use a full synthetic on the free ones. They use "Toyota" oil which is a blend. The service manager did say that if I want to use Mobil 1 and bring my own, he would only charge me for the labor and filter. My anniversary is Sunday and I'll be taking her in on Saturday for that second freebie. Since I only drive 20 miles a week, I do the six months because all of my driving is in town. Have to take care of my primary means of transporation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.