Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I took off the shift knob and decided it was time to shorten this thing up some just for fun. I took off the top of the shifter which is just held in with clips. Then I unscrewed the two screws at the side on the lower plastic to get to this:

I highlighted all of the 12mm bolt heads for you to see. There are four of them. The two cables were simple to remove by pushing the clips apart and turning the lower part of the cable counterclockwise like so:

Then I took it over to the vise and put a 12mm by 1.25mm die on it and went to town threading it as far down as I could:

Then I cut the 1 1/2" off and now have this:

I'll let you know how it is when I have the car back together.

·
Registered
5 Posts
man keep it up! im waitin to do this! wondering about using a set screw knob so that i dont have to re thread but also dealing with the shift boot cover thingy...this is great! thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Out of curiosity, I would like to know why the shorter shifter? I am know that sometimes they can be uncomfortable for people like me that are short, but have never done this. I would be very interested in doing something like this for comfort level.

·
Registered
44 Posts
kyleira said:
Out of curiosity, I would like to know why the shorter shifter? I am know that sometimes they can be uncomfortable for people like me that are short, but have never done this. I would be very interested in doing something like this for comfort level.
someone correct me if Im wrong, but cutting a shifter like explained above is just for looks. you can get a "short shifter" which makes the actual throws shorter by changing the pivot point. some people, especially thouse who race, want a longer shifter with the knob closer to the wheel so they dont have to move their hand as far away from the steering wheel to shift.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
You tease..

You did finish this, right? Looks like quite an intersting mod. What thread size did you need?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I want to shorten my auto shifter about an inch its too tall and well I've allready had alittle accident.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes it just shortens the rod that you shift with. It does not really shorten the throws. Well it does kinda since the rod is actually shorter, but to do a true short shifter, you will need to do the TRD SSK. That actually changes the pivot point like mentioned above.

·
Registered
474 Posts
No Limitz Ind said:
Yes it just shortens the rod that you shift with. It does not really shorten the throws. Well it does kinda since the rod is actually shorter, but to do a true short shifter, you will need to do the TRD SSK. That actually changes the pivot point like mentioned above.
Would that be QSK (Quick Shifter Kit)? Or, am I missing something else I can get?

Brewski

·
Registered
144 Posts
yes QSK Quick Shift Kit or SSK Short Shift Kit. Same thing.. LOL...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts