Scion XB Forum banner

What did you get - a manual or automatic transmission?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of transmission did you opt for for your '08 xB? And why?

Because my wife will possibly need to drive the xB more often than my previous car, we got an automatic. She can drive a stick, but an automatic is easier on her legs... I miss driving a stick, but can (hopefully) wait until our son grows up & I'm able to get another sporty car - I have to say it now, otherwise my wife will say it's a mid-life crisis :p

·
Registered
39 Posts
Automatic. I thought about getting a manual and just try to learn how to drive stick on the fly, but LA's stop-and-go traffic would be a pain to constantly shift all the time.

Kinda wish I had gotten a manual, however. Cheaper, and easier on the gas too. I'm kinda learning the timing of shifts with the sport shift....

·
Registered
8 Posts
manual all the way. luckily they had one on the lot! (actually, that's all they had: one in nautical blue and one in silver, which is the one we got.)

coming from the tC, the throw on this boxy bad boy seems a lot shorter, surprisingly. the shift points seem to be a bit better as well. first gear not as severe and the RPM's at 80mph in fifth aren't as high either.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Auto, I just got too lazy to drive a stick in all the traffic anymore, at least I can admit that lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wife has the Automatic,but loves using the shift mode. Had that on her Outback she traded,and wanted it again.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Eric said:
What kind of transmission did you opt for for your '08 xB? And why?

Because my wife will possibly need to drive the xB more often than my previous car, we got an automatic. She can drive a stick, but an automatic is easier on her legs... I miss driving a stick, but can (hopefully) wait until our son grows up & I'm able to get another sporty car - I have to say it now, otherwise my wife will say it's a mid-life crisis :p
i got the automatic this time around! i had a 2004 xB in Polar White w/ manual tranny and i could not drive it after 8 months due to my arthritis being so bad in my legs and all the movement with shifting...

i really like the S-mode shifting w/ the automatic which is a sequential type shift cause at least it lets you take advantage of the engines power when you need to...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wanted the manual, used to driving stick but the wife would not learn to drive stick and I want for her to be able to drive it too. Someone needs to drive when I'm drunk.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I got manual because I told myself a couple years ago that I wouldn't drive an automatic until I couldn't physically use a clutch... I LOVE manual transmission... so much more fun to drive, keeps me engaged!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Definitely manual. I've gotten out of some pretty tight jams because I could drop to second and get quick acceleration, as well as emergency braking. Besides, it is just TOO much fun!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Automatic. I don't race, I live in the city which means stop-and-go traffic, and I like having my hand free to mess with my stereo, etc. I've had manuals and shifting gets old fast, unless you're in a sports car.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Matrixv01 said:
Automatic. I don't race, I live in the city which means stop-and-go traffic, and I like having my hand free to mess with my stereo, etc. I've had manuals and shifting gets old fast, unless you're in a sports car.
Manual. What does RACING have to do with driving a manual? I've never raced a day in my life. I live in the 'burbs, not much stop-and-go here. I think if I did live in the city, I'd go automatic. Over the years of driving sticks, ((3 VW Bugs) I'd have to say stop-and-go in heavy traffic is the absolute worst. Not having free hands keeps me focused on DRIVING and not other-tasking. Gets one more involved in the actual driving of the car.

And I have found with this particular car, quite a challenge to master. Seems like the drive-by-wire does not like to respond very quickly like other cars i've had.

And shifting is just plain fun!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
boblamb58 said:
About the only reason to get a manual. If you find shifting fun.

I like that newer cars are embracing more advanced technologies like CVT (continuously variable transmission), paddle shifters and auto-manuals(like the xB).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Matrixv01 said:
boblamb58 said:

I like that newer cars are embracing more advanced technologies like CVT (continuously variable transmission), paddle shifters and auto-manuals(like the xB).
I suspect manuals are a lot harder to steal. And they are less expensive, by about 1000 for the xB.
And aren't paddle shifters sequential, meaning you have to go through third to get from fourth to second?
Don't think I would like that for an emergency deacceleration, though I have not used paddle shifters.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
MikeAndAnnie said:
Matrixv01 said:
boblamb58 said:

I suspect manuals are a lot harder to steal.
i do not think that the xB is not at the top of thieves lists and i doubt many are stolen. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
MikeAndAnnie said:
I suspect manuals are a lot harder to steal.
yanges said:
i do not think that the xB is not at the top of thieves lists and i doubt many are stolen. ;)
Doesn't change the fact that it is an advantage of a manual over an automatic. And I wouldnot
The latest data from the NCIC is that the most stolen car in 2006 was the 1995 Honda civic. I would not have guessed such an older 'meat and potatoes' car would be #1, so I am not so sure the xB2 will not soon be on that list. It has lots of stuff thieves like to chop and sell (e.g., air bags):
https://www.nicb.org/cps/rde/xchg/nicb/hs.xsl/index.htm#
http://www.statefarm.com/about/media/backgrounder/theft.asp#target

·
Registered
476 Posts
I bought my Xb with an automatic transmission. I find that the automatic transmission shifts smoothly and makes the ride more refined. I do mostly city driving and with all of the stop-n-go traffic, shifting would get old very quick. For those of you that love to shift go for it, I just prefer to let the Xb do all of the work!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
scion said:
I bought my Xb with an automatic transmission. I find that the automatic transmission shifts smoothly and makes the ride more refined. I do mostly city driving and with all of the stop-n-go traffic, shifting would get old very quick. For those of you that love to shift go for it, I just prefer to let the Xb do all of the work!
you can still shift the auto xB scion - just shift into S-Mode!! :)

see S-mode thread:

http://newscionxb.com/2nd_gen_scion_xb_talk/driving_in_smode-t276.0.html

1 - 20 of 29 Posts