Scion XB Forum banner

What did you get - a manual or automatic transmission?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
boblamb58 said:
Not having free hands keeps me focused on DRIVING and not other-tasking.

And shifting is just plain fun!!
I agree with both. I think driving a 5-speed makes me a more alert driver because I'm forced to pay attention to the road and what the vehicle is doing. The xB is my first manual, which made it kinda embarrassing trying to get it off the dealer's lot, lol. I test-drove the auto but wanted the stick. After i had a buddy drive me over to a parking lot where i could spend some time with it, I caught on real quick. From this point forward I will buy nothing but manuals. Shifting just gives the driver so much more control over his vehicle. Oh, and the '08 xB is a great vehicle to learn on. It can take a a learner's punsihment.

·
Registered
39 Posts
yanges said:
scion said:
I bought my Xb with an automatic transmission. I find that the automatic transmission shifts smoothly and makes the ride more refined. I do mostly city driving and with all of the stop-n-go traffic, shifting would get old very quick. For those of you that love to shift go for it, I just prefer to let the Xb do all of the work!
you can still shift the auto xB scion - just shift into S-Mode!! :)

see S-mode thread:

http://newscionxb.com/2nd_gen_scion_xb_talk/driving_in_smode-t276.0.html
S-Mode!

·
Registered
17 Posts
i got a manuel and i live in chicago so its not bad if you really want to learn you will hard car to learn tho clutch is by far the wierdest clutch i have driven but stick rocks very fun car in stick

·
Registered
83 Posts
I bought the standard for better mileage and better handling in the snow. Now I am going to the big city... I hope i don't get stuck in the traffic all the time cause I might regret the standard. There is no way could have known that country living was gonna end :confused: I will still have this place in the sticks for a weekend retreat.

·
Registered
844 Posts
One of the main reasons I drive a "stick" is when my kids were growing up they couldn't drive a manual tranny, therefore they had to drive my wife's car and leave mine alone.
But the real reason that I drive a manual is that I learned on one when I was 15 and automatics weren't all that common (1950's). It's second nature to me,I don't even think about it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
my 06 xb was 5 speed then i got an 08 and it was 5 speed then last year got a used 08 xb and it was the only one on the lot and i said **** yeah when i seen it was a 5 speed

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.