Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the continuing saga of my experiment in learning to row a stick shift, I've come to realize:

This engine hates to be below 2,000RPM! Much less 1800 or 1500. When I try to accelerate a few mph while lugging it, the engine makes this stained almost groaning sound, and when I try to go uphill at highway speed in 5th gear, I swear I think I can smell the clutch burning.

So I've found myself holding onto 4th gear longer and keeping the revs up close to 2500 or even 3000 for extended periods. It makes minor passing and uphill highway stretches easier to live with, but is that really the best thing?

What RPM do you cruise at?

·
Registered
782 Posts
I don't have any highway miles, but the fastest I ever get is probably a brief 55 mph. I've yet to experience any sort of engine misbehavior (outside of the defective coil I had to replace) and so it's not clear to me what you're running into. Of course, my engine probably hates me because almost whenever I begin to enter its torque band, I ease off the accelerator. My focus is MPG, not acceleration.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always shift at 3k rpm..... I've tried to shift sooner, but its too jerky and doesn't feel like quite right. I think that 2500 or 3k is def the sweet spot....
Yes, I'm finding that I agree, especially the 1-2 upshift. I can short shift as low as 1500rpm, but the shift itself sounds loud and the car lugs until it breaks 2000rpm again.
...my engine probably hates me because almost whenever I begin to enter its torque band, I ease off the accelerator. My focus is MPG, not acceleration.
Yes, I do that too, but it's not the problem. Let me make it specific, besides the general lugging at 1500rpm:

When going uphill at 2500rpm or below, I can smell a barbecue odor coming out of the clutch. I mean really? Why would a hill burn out the clutch?

I've taken to revving higher to try to be easier on the clutch, and it seems to be hurting MPGs, but I still seem to be getting that smell anyway. Is it something I'm doing wrong?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Yes, I'm finding that I agree, especially the 1-2 upshift. I can short shift as low as 1500rpm, but the shift itself sounds loud and the car lugs until it breaks 2000rpm again.Yes, I do that too, but it's not the problem. Let me make it specific, besides the general lugging at 1500rpm:

When going uphill at 2500rpm or below, I can smell a barbecue odor coming out of the clutch. I mean really? Why would a hill burn out the clutch?

I've taken to revving higher to try to be easier on the clutch, and it seems to be hurting MPGs, but I still seem to be getting that smell anyway. Is it something I'm doing wrong?
FWIW -- 2500rpm is basis fourth gear (fifth gear being more like 3500rpm minimum). However, under load, a lower gear is appropriate. Either way, if the engine starts lugging, I wouldn't expect the clutch to be at fault -- just shift down. (I'd consider 1500 rpm to be near minimum in 3rd gear.)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I've owned a number of manual shift cars before. A smell from the clutch at 2500 is not normal. It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong. I'd get it looked at if I were you...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey, for you manual shift guys..........what rpms are you running when cruising down the interstate at 70 mph in 5th gear?

I'm trying to get a point of reference for the gearing of the manual vs. auto transmission.

We auto shift guys (at least mine) seems to be at about 2600 - 2700 rpm at this speed (70 mph).

I test drove a Kia Soul one time and it was running about 3100 rpm at 70 mph. The engine noise in the cabin was so high, i ruled out buying it based on that alone.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I dont know about anyone else but I'm running just under 3k rpm but thats because of my tires. It just came to my attention that the prev owner chose to run 205/65/16 instead of the 205/55/16 so my overall height is a lot taller. not too sure why he did that other than filling the wheel gap but first chance i get ill go back to normal, or get 18's. But by the sounds of it we probably run at about the same rpm...

·
Registered
97 Posts
In the continuing saga of my experiment in learning to row a stick shift, I've come to realize:

This engine hates to be below 2,000RPM! Much less 1800 or 1500. When I try to accelerate a few mph while lugging it, the engine makes this stained almost groaning sound, and when I try to go uphill at highway speed in 5th gear, I swear I think I can smell the clutch burning.

So I've found myself holding onto 4th gear longer and keeping the revs up close to 2500 or even 3000 for extended periods. It makes minor passing and uphill highway stretches easier to live with, but is that really the best thing?

What RPM do you cruise at?
Idk if these are adjustable like old school clutches, its been a while since I've had a stick. But sounds like it needs adjusting.

Did a little city driving today. I shift at 2500 and spend a lot of time in the 1500-2500 range with no lugging. Won't be on eway till Tuesday.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I dont know about anyone else but I'm running just under 3k rpm but thats because of my tires. It just came to my attention that the prev owner chose to run 205/65/16 instead of the 205/55/16 so my overall height is a lot taller. not too sure why he did that other than filling the wheel gap but first chance i get ill go back to normal, or get 18's. But by the sounds of it we probably run at about the same rpm...
I had 205/55/16's on my box for a while (standard size) and when driving 70 per the speedometer, my Garmin said i was going 68. I up'd the size to 205/60/16 and when i'm driving 70 now (speedometer) my Garmin says i'm going about 71. RPM's at 70 mph didn't change with the change with tire size. But the actual speed down the road did, changed by about 3 mph.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.