Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old in miles Scion has been running ok. Just had the windshield replaced and the brakes done. Rear drum brakes had run fine until recently, original, for over 150k miles. That ain't bad. So yesterday, it coughed and choked when I tried starting it. It made cut short strange little sucking sounds too, while trying to come to life. I got it started third try, then it ran fine. I went only about a quarter mile, came home, worried it might not start if I went out. Engine seemed really hot for such a very short drive. I haven't tried starting it this a.m. I am hoping karma will come to play and it will magically be all good.

In case that isn't the case, suggestions for possible causes of coughing sputtering start? Never done it before. 160k miles on the thing, run rugged too, like a work truck. I've driven through fields with it, taken off fast to get away from angry people in it, had 23 feral cats in traps inside it (I take cats in to be fixed), slept in it many occasions, kind of the slant. I have rear seats down and a board cut to fit in the back, for hauling stuff. Have even had the back lined in a tarp and then loaded a yard of mulch into it. That's my Scion and I've loved it, I tell you. I don't want it dead in the garage. Ideas out there? I'm cash strapped right now, need to fix anything might be wrong myself.

·
Registered
476 Posts
You should see if it is throwing any engine codes. You can get the codes scanned free at AutoZone, if you don't have an AutoZone call your local auto parts store and see if they will scan the codes for free. I believe most parts stores will be happy to do this for you since you will probably buy the replacement parts from them to fix the car.

Good luck and let us know what codes you found.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Autozone here in California is not loaning the code reader anymore. They won't even do it for you. According to the guy I spoke with, they stopped that about a year ago. If anyone's heard any different, let us know...

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Pep Boys will scan it, but I think you need to join a free rewards club first to get it free. Not sure where all the PB stores are, though.

·
Registered
286 Posts
there are a few pep boys in my area. i'll try them...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.