Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a bunch of microfiber towels... small ones for washing & detailing and large ones for drying. I'm moving on from my old all white, 100% cotton, made in the USA towels since I no longer feel comfortable using them on the car. I also can't find them in stores anymore! Everything seems to be made in another country and supposedly they can have foreign particles that can scratch your paint. I know a lot of people swear by the microfiber, so I'm looking forward to giving them a try. I'm not looking forward to washing the car while its still so cold out ;)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yeah. I know, I need to wash my car but its still freezing. Looks like its gonna be sunny the rest of the week. Of course I do it my self because no Scion owner is gonna spend money on car washes when they can put that money towards mods. But yeah, my knuckles freeze when its this cold.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just picked up a new 12-pack of microfiber towels from Wal-Mart a few days ago. The ones I got are like 1.5'x1.5' and cost $5. I've got a big one for drying. I won't use anything but microfiber on my baby.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I just got 4 MF towels at Denny's Dollar store tonite for 4 bucks and some Mercedes Benz interior polish for 1.50 and even some turtle wax polish for 1.50. I love dollar stores!

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Shancopp said:
k, how bout almost a dollar store? :p
We got one o' them.. it's called "Family Dollar". Everything is priced in whole dollar amounts :)

I got a 4-pack of MF towels for $3 a while back.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Yeah, in my lil town we have Family Dollar and 2 Dollar Generals and a Denny's Dollar (that's where I got the towels). Dennys is more like a Big Lots type of close out store. You never know what you'll find in there, but it'll be cheap!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I here from people that Microfiber Towels leave swirl marks. I used them alot also and mine does have swirl marks, only hand washed my car since I had it and would dry with MF towel every time so their might be some truth to it. My xB is also nautic blue so it's easy to see swirl marks, Im just gonna have to get some scratch repair or wax to fix it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Not sure if the Microfiber towels are causing the swirls/small scratches, but the tag has a warning on it that says the label and stitching will cause scratches. I just washed my xB today and haven't notices any swirl marks using the microfiber towels. I use a white cotton cloth to wash and the microfiber to dry. I have BSP and will be waxing it in a couple of weeks so I'll get a better look at the paint finish. Just happy to get off the winters salt for now.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Just to follow up on my last post. I detailed my xB washed/clayed and waxed my xB and then put it in the sun to check for swirl marks. I am glad to say that after 8 months of ownership and the winter salt/rocks I don't have any swirl marks, paint looks new! As said in my last post, I use a microfiber towel to dry only, not to wash. The microfiber towels are designed to grab the dirt/dust better then a rag and I just don't think that the microfiber cloth will let go of the dirt when I rinse it in the bucket each time.

I believe that the SpeedBead wax I use provides better protection than any of the other stuff on the market.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I bought a big 36 pack from Costco that work pretty good. But I recently ordered some from Meguiars that I am going to try and see how they work. On the ones I bought from Costco I cut all the tags off of them so they wouldn't scratch the paint. So I will let everyone know how the MF from Meguiars work when they get here and I sue them.

EDIT: Let me say when I use them....LOL

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
callmemrbill said:
I boght a big 36 pack from Costco that work pretty good. But I recently ordered some from Meguiars that I am going to try and see how they work. On the ones I bought from Costco I cut all the tags off of them so they wouldnt scrathc the paint. So I will let everyone know how the MF from Meguiars work when they get here and I sue them.
Let us know if you win your case! :rofl:

·
Registered
635 Posts
:rofl: I need to read my stuff before I hit the post button.

I will let you know how it goes. I am sure I will win since the microfibers don't have a leg to stand on...... :rofl:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, I just wanted to add a bit of info to your post.
Make sure when you are puschasing your microfiber you get the best blend you can find..70/30 is the finest blend available on the market. The 30 percent is polimide which has a wicking capability. This helps in the drying process. Less rubbing = less swirl marks/micro scratches.
Just alittle usefull info.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Welcome to the site 1BADXB,

I have read that same thing. I have seen some that say they are 80/20. Not sure if thats better or what but I guess they have a few different kinds. I got a few from Meguiars but haven't had the weather here cooperate for me to try them yet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts