Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that gas is about $3.39 a gallon in SoCal, mileage is important. I drive about 25% City and 75% Highway, and I'm always getting 30-31 mpg average. I use the cruise control constantly, and it really seems to help. Anyone else trying to maximize mileage by using their Cruise control? And is there a danger in using it all the time? I use it even on short stretches around the neighborhood. Anybody here have to get their cruise control repaired? Also, is this cruise control electronic or does it use vacuum hoses like older cars did. I remember way back when a vacuum leak would really mess up things and cause unwanted consequences like sudden acceleration!! :eek:

·
Registered
476 Posts
If I'm on a flat road, no hills, then I use the cruise. When driving on hills or roads with a lot of curves then I don't use it. Don't use the cruise when it's raining!!!! If you hit a puddle of standing water you could hydroplane and the cruise will spin the tires and that might cause you to lose control of the car.

I've had my tires spin on me last summer while driving at freeway speeds using the cruise, it will get your attention!!!!!

·
Registered
976 Posts
From the DOE:

Some fuels contain less energy than others.

Using oxygenated fuels or reformulated gasoline (RFG), for example, can cause a small decrease (1–3%) in fuel economy.

Most of the gasoline now sold has a small amount of ethanol in it—up to 10% by volume depending upon the region. Using gasoline with 10% ethanol decreases fuel economy by 3–4%.

The energy content of gasoline varies seasonally. Typical summer conventional gasoline contains about 1.7% more energy than typical winter conventional gasoline.

So when stations switch back to summer blend mpg should improve. I think it will also state on the pump if your fuel contains ethanol.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
At one time, more and more stations carried ethanol gas as a pro-Green PR move. I've noticed more and more now switching AWAY from ethanol impregnated due to customer complaints and vehicle issues (based on a DIRECT conversation with/at a station today that has done just that).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.