Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after month or so of scouting them out in my area, I opted to purchase a 2009 Scion XB at a really good price (IMO). It had a very clean look to it and I knew there had been a kit on there. What I didn't realize until after the fact that the kit was a MOLDED body kit. Unfortunately I found this out kind of the "hard way".

I took the car to a shop today to have the headlights changed because the ones the car had on it were horrible quality (they were some aftermarket set) and I could barely see at night when driving it. During the bumper removal, a small part of the fender on the driver's side popped off with the bumper. My shop guy who used to do this kind of work before explained that while the bumper and hood were stock, the fender was filled/lined with "Bondo" and that the build quality wasn't that great on the inside. Hence the reason it popped off when they took the hood off. So when I asked him if that would be easy to repair or replace he replied that I would have to take it to a body shop for a better assessment but he noted it wouldn't be easy because (and that's when I knew...I ****** up) that the fender, the skirts and the rear bumper were all made to look like one piece.

My bodyshop guy also stated the same thing, and told me that I had only two options - One cheap (Under $400), the other more expensive.

1) The cheap route was take to a fiberglass shop, have them reinforce the already existing fenders with fiberglass while in the process patching the hole in the corner. Guy locally said he'd do it for couple hundred bucks. Once they fill that, bring it back to paintshop and have him color match the paint, blend it, and I'll be on my way. The only issue with that is, I was then prewarned that while the fender was the issue now, this may later extend to the skirts and wherever they bonded the bumper) due to stress and what not (and this is before I even put my subwoofer in the back :(

2. The second option I was given was replace everything back with stock parts (Fenders, which I found to be relatively cheap on some sites), Skirts (I assume they just put ones over the side) and bumper (Which is equipped with two exhausts and two reverse lights, so I'd be losing somewhere). The issue of course with parts and labor plus paint - I am lookng at well over $400 and as my Paint Guy said "the car wouldn't even look right/or the same if I did that").

My question is very simple - are there any alternatives? Or even long term solutions? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Basically what they told you is dead on. Molded body kits are not a good idea on daily drivers. It's fine for show cars and trailer queens but that's about it.

If the car is a stock color you can order pre-painted bumpers on ebay and what not for reasonable prices and they will match pretty well and they fit like factory. Fenders you've already seen what there is. As for the skirts it's going to depend on what was done to put them on the car. If they are in good condition you might be best leaving them alone.

From your description it sounds like the work wasn't done the greatest. Most of the body work should have been done in metal or fiberglass with a bare skim coat of bondo to smooth things out. It sounds more like the used too much bondo and it is not a structural material so it chips and falls off when it gets hit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Basically what they told you is dead on. Molded body kits are not a good idea on daily drivers. It's fine for show cars and trailer queens but that's about it.

If the car is a stock color you can order pre-painted bumpers on ebay and what not for reasonable prices and they will match pretty well and they fit like factory. Fenders you've already seen what there is. As for the skirts it's going to depend on what was done to put them on the car. If they are in good condition you might be best leaving them alone.

From your description it sounds like the work wasn't done the greatest. Most of the body work should have been done in metal or fiberglass with a bare skim coat of bondo to smooth things out. It sounds more like the used too much bondo and it is not a structural material so it chips and falls off when it gets hit.
Thanks for your reply! Funny thing is - if you looked at the car, it is clear to every shop (and myself) that whoever owned placed a good portion of money into it. Which is even more surprising with the issue I'm having with the Fenders. THe issue that I see myself running into would be this;

If I remove the Fenders, I would have to hope they fit in with the kit's skirts because those go with the rear bumper. The previous owner also added another exhaust pipe and reverse light with the custom bumper so I can't exactly get rid of that "easily" without spending what I don't want to. FOr right now, I just want to rid myself of the Fenders and put metal ones back on there and worry about the other bridges as they come. Will be taking it to a body shop on Monday to see what they think.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The problem I see with replacing the fenders is if the side skirts were molded to the fenders then the body shop will need to repair the side skirts after breaking the fender loose from it. So you'll be paying for new fenders and still paying for fiberglass repair. The cheapest route right now might be to just fix the fender until you are ready to remove everything at once.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.