Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I tried diplaying the instantaneous fuel consumption on the multi-function display today, just for fun. I was disappointed to see it bouncing all over the place every second.... 19 mpg one second, 88 mpg the next, and 44 after that, followed by 27 after that. It seemed completely random. And this was driving on the highway, with cruise control set at 60mph.

I'm reluctant to take it in over something like this, because it's a function I likely won't use much, but I paid for a new car and it should work like a new car.

Is there something wrong with my new baby?

RG

·
Registered
635 Posts
I would think there isnt anything wrong with it. If there is then theres something wrong with mine as well. It does the same thing and I had noticed that as well. I just pay attention to the avg MPG, I dont even pay attention to the other.

If you find anyhting out let us all know.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mine does that if it is windy. Otherwise, its fairly consistent.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called the service dept at my dealer and asked about it, and the service guy said it's normal for it to do that. If you're adjusting throttle at all (even if the cruise control is adjusting it), it will bounce all over the place. The only time it will be consistent is if you are at a steady throttle on even ground. Any acceleration or deceleration will cause it to bounce all over the place.

On my way home, I tested it, and he was right. It remained relatively stable if I was at a consistent throttle but if I took my foot off the gas, mpg shot up to like 88. Likewise, if I stepped on the gas (and kind of gunned it), mpg dropped like a stone.

After he told me that, I said, "Well, if it's that sensitive, its not really a very useful feature, is it?" He kind of hemmed and hawed about it, but he failed to convince me that it's useful.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I agree that the instant mpg isn't of much value. Even the MPG display isn't accurate on most of the Xb's, mine is like most and is 2 mpg too high. It's a toy, I don't use it since my mpg is mostly the same from tank to tank. If you want to increase your mpg's just drive easy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts