Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, this is my first post on the forum so bear with me. The object of this sunroof project was to get more light into the interior, at minimal cost, with nearly no chance of leakage and not remove the headliner... and after reading the forum and all of the issues folks have been having, I decided to go with a standard pop up sunroof. I've had one in the past and they come out in seconds so I didn't mind at all not having an automatic one. The sunroof I went with was CR Laurence AP1530B5H Autoport Sunroof (AKA Newport) from Amazon for under model but after receiving it found that it was WAY too big for the XB. Th $150. In researching the sizes, the sunroof manufacturer recommended a 18"x28"e 15"x30" I got was nearly perfect.

Here are the steps I took and results. If you have any questions please contact me. PS watch this video to give you an idea of how to do this as well as some cool tips

1. Locate the right position. After a little testing, I found that with this sunroof the "sweet spot" was exactly 6" forward from the front edge of the dome light. The template first goes on the headliner. Once it's located I drilled a small pilot hole from the bottom to transfer the location from inside to outside. There is a "target" spot on the template indicated by the red arrow. Once this is set, measure side to side, once, twice and three times!

2. Use a Sharpie to transfer a line the cut line. Remove template. Measure again! :)

3. Mask around the line around 1/8" to protect roof while working.

4. Take a shot of whiskey, a deep breath and start cutting! I used a multitool with bi-metal blades and cut very, very carefully not to go in too deep because you don't want to cut into the headliner below. I went through 4 blades as the roof was a pretty thick gauge. It was successful but if I had one, I would have used a sheetmetal cutting tool because it has better control and does not leave behind small pieces of metal. All of that said, I know my tools so felt comfortable with using the multi-tool. Once I took out the piece I was pleasantly surprised to find that I missed a horizontal support towards the rear of the sunroof. Phew!

5. I removed the insulation, cut out the support and did a dry fit of the sunroof frame. Perfect!

6. After more testing, I found that I had to remove the remainder of the horizontal support from both sides. To do this, I just grabbed it with a pair of vice grips and moved it side to side until the sheet metal cracked off. See red arrow. I also had to remove some metal support with a multitool from the front end so it fit well. See green arrow. I then followed the directions to cut out the headliner. I used a sharp serrated steak knife for better control than a utility knife.

7. I continued with the directions to remove foam material to create the felt "wrap"

8. Installed sealing material (included with sunroof kit) and used an automotive primer to paint the raw exposed area of metal (to avoid rust)

9. Install sunroof per instructions and wrapped headliner. Take your time here and be delicate with the headline to avoid damage. I used a little spray adhesive to help keep the liner taught. You can see it's centered perfectly!

10. Test for leaks (none found) and enjoy! :cheers:

· Registered
143 Posts
*I can't see the pictures...

This would be so awesome to do... Did any xB come with sunroofs? I would love one of these!

· Registered
314 Posts
That is awesome, great job

· Premium Member
709 Posts
Very brave. Turned out great!

· Registered
432 Posts
that's the perfect size and spot... I feel like I want this... both of my old cars had sun roofs, now I feel like I'm really inside when I'm driving with a huge gigantic roof.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that's the perfect size and spot... I feel like I want this... both of my old cars had sun roofs, now I feel like I'm really inside when I'm driving with a huge gigantic roof.
Yeah, so far I'm really happy with it. It looks small on the outside but inside it's awesome... which really is what matters! Do it! :D

· Registered
661 Posts
Good job! Brave to say the least. My current xB doesnt have a sunroof, previous two have had. Kids remind me constantly... ugh.

I agree x100. Cant measure and remeasure enough. You get one chance and one chance only. Walk away for a drink and measure again. Used to be a machinist, you can take it off but sure cant put it back...

· Registered
661 Posts
I highly dought anyone could put in a factory sunroof. The metalwork alone. Its bent down for the lip/seal. There is no rubber seal as you see here. Its on the glass itself. Youd also have to get the other headliner as its not a popup. And all of that is rs only and from what we all understand is that you must own one. But good luck if ya wanna r ry though.

· Registered
56 Posts
I highly dought anyone could put in a factory sunroof. The metalwork alone. Its bent down for the lip/seal. There is no rubber seal as you see here. Its on the glass itself. Youd also have to get the other headliner as its not a popup. And all of that is rs only and from what we all understand is that you must own one. But good luck if ya wanna r ry though.
A toyota dealership will do it for (what SHOULD be) a total of 1100 dollars. I had a friend that got his and I am going to do the same with mine. It's much bigger than that though. Go to your local dealer and see!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.