Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek:hno: My xb has been shocking me ever since I bought it. Whenever I shut the engine off and get out and shut the door, the car shocks the snot out of me, no occasionally but every time. Also I noticed that when I stick the key in the ignition it sparks. I took it in and they wasted my time and "just didn't know". My husband thought it was due to clothe seats, but I sprayed them with downy wrinkle releaser, and I never have static issues with my clothes. This is not a small shock, it hurts. Does anyone know why or have your heard of this before? Please help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
I think you've got a problem. I've never shocked myself in my XB, even on days when everytime I go to the file cabinet there's a spark.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
I think this is normal for a new vehicle. Brand new cloth seats combined with cold, dry Winter air = a lot of static electricity. I bet you'll find that you get shocked less in the Summer and less as the car ages. My new vehicles have always shocked me. My 2¢ :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
I get shocked every winter! I even put a grounding strap from the body to the ground and still I get shocked.

The other three seasons of the year, nothing, just in the winter this shock is an issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
739 Posts
Wow. To get a shock when you insert the key seems odd unless you are doing a seat dance for a couple of minutes before you insert it into the ignition. I live where it is cold and dry and haven't had any shocking problems. You say it has been happening since you owned it? How long has it been?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
I got my box less than a month ago. I also get shocked on occasion. Doesn't hurt and not everytime, and the key doesn't spark...just throwing in my vote.

I had a 87 Cutlass that used to shock me ALL the time...and hard. I never figured that one out.

Let us know if you fix it.

Russ
 

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
Joined
·
4,314 Posts
The clothing I am wearing in winter seems to collect minor electrical current . . .
Normally, I shock nothing.
Right now, I am shocking everything!
(My garb is different this winter primarily in the xB, as opposed to the Miata of years past where top-down frigid driving determines what I wear,)
 
G

·
Wow that really sucks. Ive never been shocked by my car b4. I dont have the stock seat fabric though so maybe its that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
Mine does the same thing I rub the seat down with a bounce and its good for a week or soo. Its very dry up here in DFW and I have extremely dry skin so that even makes it worse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
With my 09, I got shocked every time I got out of the car. Every time. And sometimes it hurt! With the 08 I have now, not so much. Never thought of using a bounce sheet. Smart thinking!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
566 Posts
SSS (Scion Shock Syndrome) is most severe among owners who have an electric personality.

Take any key that doesn't have a plastic/rubber cap or covering (or a coin or other small metal object) and touch it to a metal surface to discharge static electricity. The spark will occur between the metal opject you are holding and the surface touched, not between your body and the metal surface. It takes a little practice to remember this procedure, but it's worth the effort.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
i've had my xb for 18 months, it is driving me insane. everytime i get out of the car it shocks me. I've taken to closing the door with the back of my arm so i don't shock my hand! i've tried a couple different methods to fix it, nothing has helped. even if the weather is humid i still get a shock. the drier the weather the more painful.
 

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
Joined
·
4,314 Posts
No issues above the random stuff that happens with anything.

I am wondering is the winder clothing is static prone, with the movements before getting in and out building a charge that discharges when touching the door. I know that certain of my clothes are "static prone," much to the giggly delight of my kids when I make an electrical storm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Just hold onto the metal of the door frame as you are getting out (but before your foot hits the ground) and you'll never get shocked again.

I know what you are talking about though. I don't think I've ever been shocked harder by any other car. :ranting:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
I've never been shocked in my xB. but, i did get mine used, with 15,000 miles on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
781 Posts
I don't recall being shocked by any car (Delaware), but that doesn't mean I never was, I just don't recall it. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I've never been shocked by my xB2, and I don't think either by my 1990 Eclipse. I'm thinking the idea of using something metallic (a key) to ground yourself before directly touching the car may be a good idea. I know fur and perhaps wool can generate charge, but typical cotton and polymeric materials are usually safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I have the same issue, got my xb in 2008 and it now has 38,000 miles on it. Everytime I get out of the car and touch the car to close the door, it shocks me and it hurts!!! I'm scared to close the door every time i get out of the car now so I've gotten into the habit of kicking the door closed.

Is this a big issue? I don't want to waste my time taking it to the dealer if theres nothing they can do about it..........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
This is just static electricity and it happens more in the winter when the air is dry. Just use the back of your arm to push the door closed and you shouldn't get a shock since you will be insulated by your coat/shirt/dress with long sleeves. lol
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top