Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Me and wife are considering replacing our 2001 Corolla with an Xb.

I'm not a car guy, the only time I'm in the garage is when I get in and get out my car.
I do not have an iPod or even considering getting one. I do listen to my 2GB Sansa Clip.
I'm happy with most of Toyota's Factory sound system...except Rav4s.
So adding DVD player (s), speakers and woofers, Navigations, lights are not my thing.
I do would appreciate an extra plug for my laptop to recharge in once in a while.

I'm looking for advice on maintenance issue with Xbs.

I drive an avg of 27-30 miles a day, 5x a week to from work. I can hit 3000 easily, and we use the Corolla if we even leave our city proper.
we take our 4Runner if its within less than 10-15 miles.

What offers/ incentives should I take or pass that will pay by itself for my daily drive?

what do you recommend we pass or get when start adding up on accessories and extras?

I live in Bolingbrook, IL... work in Chicago, heavy snow travel during winter, and I've turned on my AC maybe less than 10x this year....cross finger.
Would appreciate a deep pocket floorguards/mats or even a waterproof seat covers.

If not those are not offered free, TRDSparks seems to be the place to get them cheaper.

I added TRDSparks on Facebook, since I see them a lot on this forum, and they seem to have a lot of positive feedback and cheaper price on what would normally cost me at dealer.

Much appreciate, and hope to meet new friends in this forum.

advance thank you to everyone

·
Registered
2008 xB
566 Posts
The xB2 is a great Corolla upgrade/alternative. I've had mine for almost a year and a half and the only problem was a mouse that chewed through some wiring when the xB was parked in the garage last winter. The dealer reported it as a pinched wire and covered it under warranty.

The first two services are just oil changes/tire rotation at 5K and 10K miles, and are free. Some owners have reported dealers putting a one year time limit on this. My dealer tells me that they just need to be done within 12K miles. Check with the dealer you plan to buy from if you think that's an issue.

With Scion's pure pricing policy there's no break on the cost of the xB or accessories. I got a one year 20% discount on parts, so I bought most of my accessories at the parts counter and installed them myself. I like the out-of-sight storage capacity of the overhead console and got the cargo cover to keep stuff in the back out of sight, but you have to remove the cargo cover for anything taller than the seat backs. I also got the rear bumper protector. Some people complain that it's just a glorified decal, but I figure that it's better than a beat-up bumper. I like the fog lights, not just for fog but because they light up the side of the road and you can see little critters that are about to jaywalk. I added some coco mats, but plan to get Weathertech liners before next winter. I regret not getting them last year. I also added a three outlet accessory plug for Sirius/GPS/radar detector power. Double faced tape doesn't work in the long run and you have to attach the strip with screws. If you only need two 12V sources then a two outlet splitter will work.

TRD Sparks is a popular resource. My only encounter with them was trouble-free (rear sway bar).

I get about 25 mpg around town and 30 mpg on the highway, but I got over being a leadfoot when gas went over four bucks a gallon last year. I'm also satisfied with then xB's traction control in snow, but it takes a little getting used to. It got me up the hill of a muddy field parking lot after a concert last night.

Any complaints I have about the xB are pretty trivial...things like no glovebox lock or light. Probably something else, but nothing comes to mind.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Geezer said:
The first two services are just oil changes/tire rotation at 5K and 10K miles, and are free. Some owners have reported dealers putting a one year time limit on this. My dealer tells me that they just need to be done within 12K miles. Check with the dealer you plan to buy from if you think that's an issue.
...thanks for this heads up. I read about some Lifetime Maintenance. Is this cheaper deal than just doing oil-change at Jiffy Lubes?

Geezer said:
With Scion's pure pricing policy there's no break on the cost of the xB or accessories. I got a one year 20% discount on parts, so I bought most of my accessories at the parts counter and installed them myself. I like the out-of-sight storage capacity of the overhead console and got the cargo cover to keep stuff in the back out of sight, but you have to remove the cargo cover for anything taller than the seat backs. I also got the rear bumper protector. Some people complain that it's just a glorified decal, but I figure that it's better than a beat-up bumper. I like the fog lights, not just for fog but because they light up the side of the road and you can see little critters that are about to jaywalk. I added some coco mats, but plan to get Weathertech liners before next winter. I regret not getting them last year. I also added a three outlet accessory plug for Sirius/GPS/radar detector power. Double faced tape doesn't work in the long run and you have to attach the strip with screws. If you only need two 12V sources then a two outlet splitter will work.
....so you bought all those at the dealer @ 20% off? Is that still cheaper than going thru NSXB's sponsors?
.... fog log seems very relevant to interest since I do travel at various spots at night where critters do suddenly pop up...I've avoid most....specially skunks are abundant in my area.
.....the two outlet splitters sounds like a good idea.

Geezer said:
I get about 25 mpg around town and 30 mpg on the highway, but I got over being a leadfoot when gas went over four bucks a gallon last year. I'm also satisfied with then xB's traction control in snow, but it takes a little getting used to. It got me up the hill of a muddy field parking lot after a concert last night.
.....man that sounds sweet, I get about 27 highway in my Corolla, plus traction is good news too. :D

thanks again

·
Registered
74 Posts
I used to have a Saturn Vue which I sold and I bought an 09 xB. I am still very happy with my purchase but I have yet to have to have any service done on it. I just got it after Memorial Day and I am not even at 4,000 miles yet.

I bought mine as basic as basic could come since there are so many add-ons you can do later if you so choose. Even with the basic I got a decent radio with c/d player, an aux jack and i-pod plug in, which all came standard. Floor mats they charged me like $90 for and although they match the carpet and say "scion" on them.....they will not do much justice in the snow I do not think.

Scion pricing is set up to be a "no-hassel" pricing. So whatever the sticker price is.....you pay. So there is no wheeling and dealing.....which is a good and bad thing. Less of a headache....but you cannot get more for less either. If you're lucky.....they may throw $500 your way but that is about it.

I do all of my driving in the city so I get an avg of about 23 mpg.....when I do get on the highway I enjoy going fast since I cannot do so in the city so I tend to not get as good mpg as I could then either.

Car is very solid....does not have that pingy noise when you close the front doors (the back doors I have noticed do make the noise). I am all for stick shifts esp. with a 4 cylinder so that I can get more power from the engine....but I bought an automatic and do not regret it at all. Has plenty of power when you need it to pass someone or pick up speed to merge on the highway.

Living in FL...we do not have snow or anything close to winter weather so I am not sure how it handles on snow/ice covered roads, but I am sure someone from up north can answer that ? for you.

My husband has a 2003 Corolla and still loves his car. He would never think about trading his car in or an xB, but he is happy that I bought a Toyota too. His only complaint with the car is how the dash board is set up. As long as you are not super tall your knees should not hit it when in either of the front seats....however if you were to get rear ended by a car moving at any kind of fast speed.....your knees will for sure be slammed into the dash board. Not sure what the outcome of that would be nor do I really want to find out.

Overall...very safe, relable vehicle for a great price. If you look at consumer reports xB holds its value better than most of the other comparable vehicles in its class.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Tica

we tried to sneak by a dealer last night to see if we can walkabout the lot, but no Scion was readily available outside...most are inside the showroom.

I was hoping to spot a RSXB to see how red it is.

If I was to match what is everything in & around a RSXB to a basic XB, would the price come to the same level?

or is RSXB a better value for its price?

once again, advance thanks everyone

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
The RS red is pretty close to a Coca-Cola can (yes, I've compared the two). I like it.

As for the mods. If you did all the same (radio included, plus ALL the lights), it is a good deal. Additionally, many extras are altered from the norm and made to coordinate better and the fabric isn't available elsewhere at all. It is UNIQUE to the RS.

·
Registered
2008 xB
566 Posts
thanks for this heads up. I read about some Lifetime Maintenance. Is this cheaper deal than just doing oil-change at Jiffy Lubes?
I'm not familiar with Lifetime Maintenance. I declined all offers of extended warranties and maintenance packages when I bought the Scion. This was primarily because I don't have much confidence in extended warranties and didn't want to lock into a long term service committment having no knowledge of how good the dealer's service department was (turns out they're pretty decent). I have historically done at least any major service at the dealer as long as the vehicle was under warranty and done oil changes at quicky-lube places. Most dealers now do basic oil changes for about the same price price as the quicky-lubes. I got over doing my own oil changes years ago.

....so you bought all those at the dealer @ 20% off? Is that still cheaper than going thru NSXB's sponsors?
The dealer's discounted prices were generally slightly cheaper than TRD Sparks even with sales tax. If I ordered by 3 p.m, the parts were in before noon. the next day. It also bolstered my relationship with the dealer...but the discount didn't apply to TRD parts., so i got them from Sparks

Dunno if it's still true, but I think the RS used to come with a sunroof. Good if you want a sunroof. Not so good if you want an overhead console.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TartanJack said:
The RS red is pretty close to a Coca-Cola can (yes, I've compared the two). I like it.

As for the mods. If you did all the same (radio included, plus ALL the lights), it is a good deal. Additionally, many extras are altered from the norm and made to coordinate better and the fabric isn't available elsewhere at all. It is UNIQUE to the RS.
so if you wish to have good stereo and have an aggressive look...can afford the monthly payments...it's a no brainer?

thanks for the Coke comparison...that should save me on gas driving around different dealers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Geezer said:
thanks for this heads up. I read about some Lifetime Maintenance. Is this cheaper deal than just doing oil-change at Jiffy Lubes?
I'm not familiar with Lifetime Maintenance. I declined all offers of extended warranties and maintenance packages when I bought the Scion. This was primarily because I don't have much confidence in extended warranties and didn't want to lock into a long term service committment having no knowledge of how good the dealer's service department was (turns out they're pretty decent). I have historically done at least any major service at the dealer as long as the vehicle was under warranty and done oil changes at quicky-lube places. Most dealers now do basic oil changes for about the same price price as the quicky-lubes. I got over doing my own oil changes years ago.

The dealer's discounted prices were generally slightly cheaper than TRD Sparks even with sales tax. If I ordered by 3 p.m, the parts were in before noon. the next day. It also bolstered my relationship with the dealer...but the discount didn't apply to TRD parts., so i got them from Sparks

Dunno if it's still true, but I think the RS used to come with a sunroof. Good if you want a sunroof. Not so good if you want an overhead console.
I don't think I'll be adding some TRD stuff, since it's daily car vs a performance car I'm looking for, so I might go for the 20% dealer discount on accessories (anything that doesn't require drilling)

Now if the dealer is willing to include labor in the price of the accessories then maybe I will get it.

But if they are going to charge labor ON EVERY PART vs one labor fee, then maybe I'll have them add the accessories that require drilling.
I've yet looked over at the DIY section.
That overhead compartment looks interesting.

thanks again folks

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think the last RSxB that had the sunroof was the gold one (5.0).....I wanted a sunroof and would have likely gone for the 6.0 had it had one in there. I am not too confident in aftermarket hole cutting in the roof.

If you are going to use and enjoy all of the added bells and whistles that the 6.0 comes with...then it would be money well spent. I went for the HTM color as I am not a huge fan of red. I also said to myself on the lot (after the deal said to me that every time he sees a scion come in for service/mods after he sold it to them, he never recognizes the car after all of the changes the customer made) that I would not get caught up in doing mods and would leave my xB as is. Here were are about $1000 out of pocket later on random stuff I bought for the xB. It is an addiction since there is so much stuff you can buy to set yourself apart from the rest.

One of my mods was adding a rear spoiler. I went to my dealership and they wanted over $400 for the part and installation. I saw on TRDsparks.com that the spoiler itself was on-sale (much cheaper than what they wanted to charge for the part) so I asked if they did price matching. I ended up getting everything for under $400 (part, shipped and installed).

Good thing about buying the RS is that everything is included under warranty should anything ever go wrong. That is why I wanted to buy the spoiler through the dealership (a) I am not confident with drilling holes into my xB myself (b) if anything happens to the spoiler or if it flies off I am covered by the dealership.

On the other hand I bought and changed out my taillights myself....so if something should go wrong with them I am on my own as they are not stock nor did the dealer install them.

So anything bought through and added on by the dealer will cost you more than you buying it elsewhere and installing it either elsewhere or on your own....but at least with the dealer you have peace of mind that you are covered.

To what I saw on the breakdown of labor pricing is that the dealer has a set labor price for every piece that you want to put in/on. So even if you got 4 different items installed on 1 day, you would be charged for the labor for each one of those parts. I have not had more than 1 thing installed by the dealer so I do not know if they would give you a "bulk" discount or what.

·
Registered
2008 xB
566 Posts
A lot of the accessories require drilling and/or cutting. For instance you have to cut the headliner to install the overhead console, cut the grill to install the foglights and drill some ginourmous holes in the interior panels to install the cargo cover. It's not really that difficult once you muster the courage to start. The installation instructions come with templates. You just need to make sure you understand the procedure and have double-checked your measurements/template positioning.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Geezer said:
A lot of the accessories require drilling and/or cutting. For instance you have to cut the headliner to install the overhead console, cut the grill to install the foglights and drill some ginourmous holes in the interior panels to install the cargo cover. It's not really that difficult once you muster the courage to start. The installation instructions come with templates. You just need to make sure you understand the procedure and have double-checked your measurements/template positioning.
I second that...Just Do It! (Hmmm, wait that's Nike's slogan...but it applies to tricking out your xB.)

Brewski

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.