Scion XB Forum banner

Which name do ya'll like better?

• Albatross

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Phroeg (funky spelling of frog)

• Beastie (as nin xBeastie)

• Seabhag (gaelic for falcon/hawk/eagle)

• Foerag (Scot-gaelic for squirrel)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(ISB: Industrial SportsBox)
I'm wondering what ya'll think of names for my xB.

I've been jumping between 3 options and wonder what some others think.

The xB-
Nose:

Interior:

Just added these wheels:

Also, have red RS6 exterior doorhandles installed.
(Updated picts coming May 24)

Thinking:
- Albatross
- Phroeg (Frog)
- Tarbh (Gaelic for "bull," pronounced TAR-oo)

Albatross -From several sources:
- Alba- the old Gaelic name for Scotland- a subtle Scottish reference. (This is actually where I first came up w/ the name, honestly.)
- Thorpe's ship in "The Sea Hawk" was the Albatross (reference, but different, to Drake's Swan and Golden Hind, formerly the Pelican)
- Period appropriate and in the spirit of the age
- Albatrosses have a long association w/ sailors (even if the exact nature and superstitions is debated, esp. since the "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" poem)
- I like birds . . . and the Albatross seems appropriate to the Scion
- The Albatross matches my interest in small to mid-size cargo planes, like the C-130, C-123, C-7, C-47, and the like. The wing/body lines actually resemble the C-130 and C-123 (see film "Air America")!

Phroeg
- Squat shape and appearance
- "Frogeyes" on the front
- If paint green, WILL be named this!
- Will allow for lot of fun graphics

Tarbh
- Shape reminds me of a bull
- Is "Strong Like Bull"
- Cattle was a major possession for Scottish Highlanders (and the early Irish)
---- So, is a cultural reference
- Tarbh, as a word will look good visually and graphically.
- Will allow for lot of fun graphics
- One graphic can be a cut-down/repainted Toyota logo, made to be a bull's head.
- Fan of the Red Bull formula One and NASCAR teams (and a SERIOUS one too!)
(The car's colors of silver, red, yellow, black/navy are the major colors of Red Bull)
- If I paint my xB the blue I want, this WILL be the name.

(Vote change is allowed in this poll)
When named, I'll start adding name-specific stuff, including a series (interchangeable) "nose badges" on the hood lip.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Remember, . . .

My "main" theme is two-fold:
-Scottish
-Pirate

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A celtic art bull (technically, a reproduced and colored Pictish bull):

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are hundreds of bird illustrations that resemble an Albatros.
A few:

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An albatross:

· Registered
342 Posts
Great ideas! I think yours would be the only frog green color if you did it. The only green gen 2 xb I've seen green is that truck one. And it totally does look like a frog!

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Phroegs/Frogs

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only 5 votes?
Really?

Maybe . . .
Call it the "xBeastie" and use all three animals :D :lol:

· Registered
741 Posts
I voted for the "FROG". Paint that bad boy green. If I come up with a good reason for painting it green, I'll let you know. Right now, my the beer I'm drinking is in a green bottle. It's good beer so green it is.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I added a few more:

Seabhag
- Gaelic for a bird-of-prey, meaning a hawk/falcon/eagle
Pronounced: http://www.snh.org.uk/gaidhlig/audio/seabhag.mp3
A dual reference to the Millennium Falcon in Star Wars (and my earliest name for the xb: Aluminum Falcon- see Robot Chicken Star Wars) and my beloved Atlanta Falcons football team.

Foerag
- Scots Gaelic for squirrel
Pronounced: http://www.snh.org.uk/gaidhlig/audio/feorag ghlas.mp3
This goes back to my earlier "Squirrel" name, coming from a comment by a friend that following my xB on a mountain road was like "chasing a damn squirrel, and it looks like one too"

Here is Tarbh being pronounced (as part of the term for a dragonfly):
http://www.snh.org.uk/gaidhlig/audio/tarbh nathrach.mp3

Remember:
You can change the vote at any time.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm thinking Tarbh right now . . .
Here's why:
- Can make a great emblem using the TOYOTA oval logo (remove or black-out upper part of vertical oval)
----- I'd be fine w/ others doing that too, so I'm making that idea public-> besides it could make what I do cheaper for me . . . Plus, I can easily alter "Toyota" stuff to be unique and appropriate.
- LOTS of flexibility for graphics
- Has the "speed" and "quick" allusion to the various Red Bull Racing F1 team, plus the Red Bull WRC (Loeb, Kimi, and more) and NASCAR (supported by Toyota and using TRD supplied engines) teams.
- Has the "charging forward" idea, as a reference to the power of the xB2 engine
- Reference to the cargo capacity of the xB, as bulls and oxen (castrated bulls) are/used to be MAJOR load pullers in days of old.
- xB shape looks a bit like a charging bull (as referenced my several folks around here-> in the American rural South)
- Has "Scottish" historical connections, as well as Irish. Up until the Clearances, Highland "property" was often seen in cattle.
- The name visually looks nice. Plus, the "T" works well w/ Toyota.

When "repping" Scions and xBs, the name leaves a large number of openings to the many capabilities of the Scion xB, gen 2. I can reference its performance AND its utility/cargo capacity easily. All the while, having fun w/ bull-related graphics and "theme" stuff.

Also, "Tarbh"/bull fits w/ the "Industrial SportsBox" name well, where many of my other ideas don't.

· Premium Member
811 Posts
When I was cruising through some of the Toyota/Scion sites recently, I say the xB referred to as an urban utility vehicle. Now, I'll be calling mine an urban assault vehicle cuz that's the way I drive it...UAV!

· Registered
1,069 Posts
Hellen4Wheels said:
When I was cruising through some of the Toyota/Scion sites recently, I say the xB referred to as an urban utility vehicle. Now, I'll be calling mine an urban assault vehicle cuz that's the way I drive it...UAV!
YES!! Hahaha :rofl:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.