Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well . . .
I'd appreciate some recommendations for a speaker upgrade.

My present audio setup:
Stock, base Pioneer headunit 4x45 output
Stock door tweeters
Bazooka 8" subwoofer in the back
4 "front door" stock speakers, have a set of fronts mounted in the backdoors

What WILL stay:
Stock headunit and tweeters
The Bazooka unit
I actually WANT the stock unit, as it visually matches what I am after-> retro moderne look.

The present audio balance isn't bad and the volume output is good, as it tends to impress folks for a (basically) stock unit.

Now, I am thinking of redoing the door speakers with aftermarket 6.5" units.
With the above setup, any crisper speakers with similar to stock volume levels that work ideally with the stock headunit's 4x45 output?

I want basically the same sound as now, just with crisper, richer highs and mids.
I also want to get fairly inexpensive ones, if possible.

Recommedations?

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I ask as I am a FIRM believer that there are certain aftermarket speakers that work particularly well with a given vehicle using basically stock configuration.
An example is the yellow "Lightning Audio" 6.25 units pushed SO hard by a certain Miata owner, a rather neat and interesting guy. Normally, those are decent mid-level/cheap units, but their pros and cons happen to be IDEAL for an NA or NB Miata's door speakers, IF the adjustable cones are aimed FORWARD.

Anything similar for the xB?
After 5 years, someone, somewhere must have figured out a good setup . . .

Also, what do you have that may work well?

· Registered
846 Posts
Funny that you should mention the audio system. My granddaughter just got a new TC, and my daughter (her mother) wants to get her a new HU w/ GPS for Christmas. Anyone have any suggestions? Now I know that she could go crazy and spend A LOT, but I thinking more about the touch screen and ease of use with all the function included, and how easy to install. How about the premium upgrade from Scion?

· Registered
979 Posts
Funny that you should mention the audio system. My granddaughter just got a new TC, and my daughter (her mother) wants to get her a new HU w/ GPS for Christmas. Anyone have any suggestions? Now I know that she could go crazy and spend A LOT, but I thinking more about the touch screen and ease of use with all the function included, and how easy to install. How about the premium upgrade from Scion?
One thing to think about with touchscreens...

I have a Pioneer touchscreen in my xB. I miss the old days of having actual buttons for the radio presets. If I want to change stations since I can't use touch to find a button I am forced to take my eyes off the road. That's really the only drawback though, but I think it's a big one. The button on the steering wheel only goes up one number at at time instead of cycling through the presets so it takes forever to go up the dial and I don't always know what station I'm on without taking my eyes off the road again.

· Registered
979 Posts
To get back on TJ's original topic I don't know about speakers meant for the xB, but I have Boston components in front and Alpine coax. in the rear doors, and a 10" Boston sub in back. I am very happy with the sound and nothing I bought was very expensive.

Boston Acoustics said they are getting out of the aftermarket audio business and are going to focus on oem applications. I imagine the sales would be more reliable/steady. Because of this, I see their equipment frequently discounted. I have always thought that Polk Audio speakers sound very good especially considering they are usually less expensive than other name brand speakers.

I'm not an expert, but there's my 2-cents. :cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.