Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its hard enough to find reliable shops to do an excellent job on my 2011 xb RS alarm system so im stuck on purchasing toyotas vip alarm system..is this a good choice because at least its covered by their warranty or im spending too much for a shitty alarm system?..please let me know your opinion bad or good its fine with me.. thanks y'all...:cheers:

·
Registered
159 Posts
heres the thing about factory alarms. usually they are either passive, meaning they can only be activated with the door opening, no shock sensor, or they have a shock sensor that tricks the car to thinking a door has opened, and setting off the horn. i used to work for a company called guardian, and thats what we did. charged obscene amounts of cash for a cheap code alarm. most good alarms have a lifetime warrantee and where you get it installed should have a lifetime warrantee on thier labor. an aftermarket alarm can have things like battery backup, proximity sensor, digital tilt sensor, and the list keeps going for add on. the factory enhancements usually cant. save your money and get a decent aftermarket unit. i have a few if you are interested that are decently priced.

·
Premium Member
2011 Scion xB Release Series 8.0 SoundWave
746 Posts
My buddy just brought a new alarm to market under the Autopage brand called Encore. I have a CS730 remote start alarm system in my RS8 and it was pretty easy to install. I can say good things about Viper/Clifford, Crimestopper and CompuStar too. Have had them all. Where are you? I can recommend installers from all over North America, alot of them I know as I have been doing Mobile E for 17 yrs. Feature I wish my CS730 had? Rechargeable remotes, I talked my wearhouse manager into getting a Viper 5901. Warning, it comes preprogrammed from DEI for manual transmissions. Don't go to best buy, most of their installers, not all (I know some good ones) could find water if they fell out of a boat. Thats why they have a black book of cars they can't work on.

Amped, I didn't see any alarms on your site to recommend.

·
Premium Member
2011 Scion xB Release Series 8.0 SoundWave
746 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
ya, i havent put them up yet, been working a lot on the performance stuff and getting the site a little more appealing i carry avital, some other directed, but not viper unfortunately, excalibur and scytek. the scytek stuff is really good, and the excalibur stuff too(which is really just audiovox) and fairly priced. the remote start and security run between 130-150, sometimes a little more depending on my distributor. i have a scytek alarm that works off of an iphone, which is really cool, has GPS, and all the features of like the thing that comes with GM that has the car app. the excalibur ones and avital are ones i sell mostly tho, and i deal with installing the excalibur ones it seems more often. fairly straightforward and similar to DEI alarms. i worked at both best buy and circuit city, and what you say is fairly true, although there were some good installers i dealt with. i chose to up my game and learn all i could tho, it seemed at circuit city we were a little more qualified through and through than at best buy.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Its hard enough to find reliable shops to do an excellent job on my 2011 xb RS alarm system so im stuck on purchasing toyotas vip alarm system..is this a good choice because at least its covered by their warranty or im spending too much for a shitty alarm system?..please lt me know your opinion bad or good its fine with me.. thanks y'all...:cheers:
I have a 2008 and immediately installed the Scion alarm system and it works fine for what it is (includes glass break sensor). I chose to extend it with DEI shock and tilt sensors plus hood open, but obviously, there are other options on the market. Personally, I'm happy with what I've got, but everybody has to decide what works best for them.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I...installed the Scion alarm system...I chose to extend it with DEI shock and tilt sensors plus hood open...
Hi TrevorS, I'm considering getting the Scion RS3200+ alarm system because it will plug into the existing wiring harness and will work with the factory key remote (no additional alarm remote to carry around in my already crowded pocket).

I've read other folks have extended their factory alarm system, is that easy to do? Are there external terminals or plugs to do this? Does the manual explain how to do it? Any recommendations on what additional external sensors to buy, besides what you mentioned above?

Any additional information on the RS3200+ and how you extended it would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
159 Posts
always have a shock sensor, its good to have the dig tilt and im a fan of a proximity sensor. it doesnt let ppl near the car. the manual isnt going to tell you how to install it, although if its an alarm you can buy separately, it should come with an installation manual, so you MAY be able to do it yourself, but if you arent very familiar with 12V systems or with car security, you really need to get it done professionally. this isnt something that you want to do if you dont know everything about. things can go really bad really quick and in a hurry, so be careful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.