Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I (like many ppl) am working with a low budget (not to mention, I think rims are overrated) and i want to repaint my wheels but I'm unsure as what to do for the center cap since there isnt one present...Any suggestions as to what i might be able to rig up for a center cap???

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
There is a set at Napa that will work. They need to be cleaned, painted, then RTV glued on (silicone glue, so they can be removed to mounting new tires).
Get the ones 2.71-something in size. They are domed.

Here is a set I painted red, then stuck on an "m" . . .

·
Registered
846 Posts
Funny, I was thinking of doing something like this. My question is about the lug nuts. I know that some of them are covered with thin stainless steel and they don't hold up when an impact gun is used.yours look like are chromed. Do they hold up and where did you get them? How much?
Thanks,Dale

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Those are from the local O'Reily's Auto Parts. I liked the look w/ that cap on the steelies. They are presently in a plastic bag in a closet. On the alloys, I have spine lugs.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I went with the chromed spline nuts from O'reilly they were like 30 bucks.

Discount Tire Direct quoted me at 45 for lug nuts, and I called my local "Rent-N-Roll" to see if they would have them cheaper...80 dollars!

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'm thinking of going the same thing,but on the subject of the hub dust covers,do they fit on the front as well as the rears? I'm thinking that an extension on the fronts because of the retaining nuts. Still looks good for the amount of money spent.
Thanks,Dale

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Those clear. They are DEEP. The rears can be flush, but not the fronts.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I went to the NAPA web site but couldn't find ones that were the right dims. Last night I went out and measured the hubs with callipers. The dia. came out to be about 2.43",grip depth ~.15",height on the fronts ~.83".Do you remember what p/n's are for the ones you bought are?
Dale

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Lengthwise, they should be OK. the chromed one's I used weren't very tall.
The lugs are 12 X 1.5.
If that, I'd bet em.

Edit: looking at the posting, it says:12x1.5, 12x1.5mm 3/4 Hex Drive 3/4",Black
That should be fine. I'll likely get a set for myself.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I got the dust covers from NAPA, and there're fine ,cost ~$22.00 shipped.After opening the box,I noticed that are have a dull finish. I'm retired and have a lot of time, so I sanded with 600 grit wet/dry,used red cutting compound,white compound,and finnally Blue Magic metal polish. They buffed up really nice. Blue Magic is great stuff. Not only does it polish,but puts a protective coating on the parts.The lug nuts are on order from Advance Auto.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Update on the lug nuts. I ordered the lug nuts from Advance on Thursday morning by UPS, And got them today(Friday). I had to call them because I had a question on the quantity. The on line post said Qty of 1, but that didn't tell me how many that was. After talking to a rep.,and after he called Dorman the answer was 10 per box,so I ordered 2 boxes for a total of $45.98 plus shipping and taxes for a grand total of $57.80. Now all I've got to do is clean the wheels put on the dust caps,and lug nuts. I think I'll wait untill after the hurricane to do this.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I forgot to ask,does anyone know what the torque spec. is for the lug nuts? I know that the ones that are on there are tight,I took one off to see if the new ones fit alright,and it was so tight that it squeeked when I removed it with a lug iron.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Finnally got to clean and remove the wheel covers. After the steelies tried,they looked dull and dirty (brake dust). Got some cutting compound (red) and started rubbing. The wheels came out really clean and shinny. Next is to install the chrome lug nuts and buffed up dust covers.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.