Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Heyu guys, long time lurker on the forums since before I got my 2013 xB back in september. (I'll take some pics once it warms up here and I can get the car clean :( )

But I'm looking at putting in some new speakers in the box, having some trouble deciding which ones to go with though. I listen to a variety of music, from rap to metal to pop to classical. The only place near me is a futureshop and they don't have a large selection. I was looking to spend about max 140 a set or so.
Here are the ones I've been looking at so far.

Infinity Reference X-Series 6 1/2" 2-Way Car Speakers (REF-6502IX) : 6 1/2 Inch Speakers - Future Shop

Polk Audio db 651 6-1/2"/6-3/4" 2-way Car Speakers

Alpine SPR-60 6-3/4" 2-way Car Speakers

The last ones are the most expensive, and a bit out of my price range, but if they are worth it then I will spend the extra on em. Just wondering everyone's opinions on what I should get.

Thanks!

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Fixed it for ya.

·
Registered
661 Posts
First off, welcome from stateside. Assuming all the canadian links...

Unless these are to replace the rear speakers, i wouldnt get. I say that because youd be goin from seperates to coaxials and your sound would most likely be worse. For the rear they would definately help.

·
Registered
661 Posts
The 'cheaper' way some have done is taking the rear speakers out. Moving the front speakers to the rear (which will require a mounting place for the tweeter, making a hole in the door panel), and purchasing a affordable (your budget) set of seperates. I believe people have gone to the 6.5 up front makin a adapter plate out of wood.

Im sure those who have done will chime in. I know brickpig has done modification to his like this. You can track him down on here and check his personal site. Lots of good info.

·
Registered
314 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Honestly I used to have those Polks in my old Camaro, an entire set of em, and although they sounded good, theyre garage. About 2 months after install they started to get that torn paper sound which didnt make sense because I always had them on low volume (I had a muscle car, I wanted to hear the car, not the radio lol). When I had my '02 Lancer the guy already installed Infinity References, and I can vouch for those things being awesome. So far the 2 best brands I have come across is Fosgate and Infinity. Definately when tax season is here, I throwin Fosgates in my ride (rockin Pioneers right now, not too bad for budget speakers but could be better). And as for the budget I mean, you gotta make sure you get something worth getting, otherwise you're not going to hear much of a difference. If anything, just go one piece at a time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't really feel comfortable cutting the plastic door and putting those tweeters in there. I honestly just want something that all I have to do is drill out the rivets, and cut out a piece of particle board for the bracket. I'll take a look around and maybe go with the fosgates if I can find them in Canada.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I don't really feel comfortable cutting the plastic door and putting those tweeters in there.
It's not that hard, especially if you have the right size hole saw. For my Sienna I just used an X-acto knife and took my time.

https://sites.google.com/site/brickpigs2011xb/home/2011-scion-xb-1st-month
https://sites.google.com/site/brick...scion-xb-1st-month/01d---rear-speakers-detail

The Rockfor Fosgate Punch component speakers don't have a separate crossover to mount, instead it is built into the woofer.

https://sites.google.com/site/brickpigs2011xb/home/17---front-speakers-upgrade

·
Registered
979 Posts
When I helped a friend install components in his car we just used a hole saw with my cordless drill. We smoothed the edges with a file, but it was covered by the tweeter trim ring anyway.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I'm thinking about just getting the infinity 2 way speakers for the back, then later on upgrading the front with component speakers. I really don't want to drill away any plastic.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Notice I was talking about my friend's car lol. I'm definitely hesitant to put any holes in my xB.

I put a pair of Alpine coaxials in the rear doors and Boston components up front. The front doors already have components, so you shouldn't have to drill holes for that.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My cars usually have a mix of kenwood and pioneer. My celica had a kenwood head unit and all pioneer interior speakers run through a boston amp. I don't currently nor have I ever run subs, if you have good speakers you really don't NEED them.

My xB has a kenwood head unit and some sort of aftermarket speakers, I didn't install them and haven't had the doors off too look but they are also run through an amp.

The biggest thing I have encountered when dealing with sound is making sure it's tuned right for the music you listen to. I listen to a lot of heavy metal and old school hip hop so a wide range of sound there.

I don't know anything about the different cables or things, just that the brands I have had have always been good and stood up to a lot of power.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I don't currently nor have I ever run subs, if you have good speakers you really don't NEED them.
Thats true to a certain extent. It depends on the music you listen to and how you like to listen to it. My first sub I got just to see how the sound would be like. Soon after, I ditched that single 8" and got myself 2 10"s lol. I mainly listen to heavy metal and really liked how the sub filled the sound in with the bass guitar and the bass drums, then when I started jamming dubstep, theres no way you can jam dubstep without a sub. I highly recommend subs to everybody, wheather its a single 8" for a cleaner and fuller sound, or to go with good clean power from 2 10"s.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Picked up the infinity reference today! Going to install them tomorrow. Friday I'll probably be getting the reference component speakers for the front. Then after that some sort of amp.
Congrats on the speakers man! You're going to enjoy em, I can promise you that!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.