Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Looks fine, but all the shots are uninstalled and from the front. A more complete story would show how the box looks inside and from behind, how you mounted it, what driver you used, and how it all looks installed. Looking forward to more pics!

Oh and a proper intro of yourself would help: what you drive, what color, transmission, mods so far, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I drive an 09 Silver XB with an auto trans. So far I have 8000k HID's in the fogs & headlights, Remote starter, K40 radar detector, LED under dash/seat lighting, Pioneer Avic D3, Sirius radio, Ipod interface, and bluetooth.
For the subwoofer I used an Alpine SWS-10D4 wired to 2 ohm & the amp is an Alpine MRP-M500 which is mounted under the rear seat. I will post up some pics of the building process and the final installed product.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sub box build Part 1

Here is the beginning of the process. I started off by removing and taping off the side panel with multiple layers of blue painters tape. I also made a false floor out of cardboard & taped it on the where the bottom compartment would be.

I laid out 4 coats of fiberglass resin with chopped mat.
Removed the mold from the panel & trimmed it down to size.
Next I cut out the inner & outer speaker rings so that my woofer could be recessed in the enclosure. I used 3/4" MDF for the rings & support.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sub Box Part 5

The fiberglass was then trimmed out around the speaker opening and the edges to make sure it remained the same size as it was when i started. Any high spots and bumps were also sanded off. The box was then sprayed in glue & the carpet applied.

The box was placed on the factory panel & mounted. I used a few pieces of metal strap & ran screws into where the tow hook bolts used to be. I also pre-drilled holes in all 4 corners to make sure it was solid. The box will not even move inside the car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2011 Scion xB Release Series 8.0 SoundWave
747 Posts
it looks good and thats something from me. The woofer is soooo small, u sure thats a 10"? I did 8" woofers in my door, looks almost the same size. The box u did looks great

·
Registered
979 Posts
After the sub wring was made & mounted the enclosure was wrapped tightly in Fleece.
I have a question on this series of photos where you show the mdf attached to the fiberglass back you made. It looks like you used 3" screws to mount the mdf posts to the fiberglass. Isn't the fiberglass only like 1/8" thick though?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the compliments. The sub is def a 10".
The glass ended up being like 1/2" thick after all of the coats. I used long screws downwards through each support in case there was any splitting from the screws drilled through the fiberglass. It just made it stronger.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.