Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

My name is Andy and I just bought a 2012 Scion xB (Super White). So far I love this car. It is so much nicer than the 2003 Ford Ranger that I traded in for it.

I am interested in starting to mod my ride already. I had fog lights installed by the dealer. My question is what are some other good mods to start with? I don't think I want to go too over the top with the mods since I am a bit paranoid that it might make the car a target of vandalism/theft, but I want it too look nice since this is the first vehicle I have had that I feel like I should take pride in. I see that many people lower their xBs, but I don't think I want to do that since I live in Rochester, NY and we get lots of snow and the roads are full of huge potholes. What kind of rim/wheel will work on a non-lowered xB? Will anything larger than the stock 16" wheel look ridiculous without being lowered? I am also thinking of adding a spoiler. How difficult are these to install yourself? Keep in mind that I live in an apartment, so I don't have access to alot of tools or a garage.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Congrats on your new car and welcome to the site!

Take a tour around the site and also look at the DIY forums for ideas on what folks have done with their rides. A nice thread to read is "How your XB sits now" it shows a lot of pics of various mods. Many folks run 17 or 18 in rims no problem. Adding a spoiler isn't hard but you do need to take your time (a hour or so). Here is the thread:
http://www.newscionxb.com/135-do-yourself/6369-spoiler-wing-thoughts-insight-diy-tips.html
(click on the Forums link to see other topics)
Keep in mind that wheels can be tempting to a thief. Don't go too fancy, and invest in a good set of wheel locks. Have fun modding!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hi Everyone,

My name is Andy and I just bought a 2012 Scion xB (Super White). So far I love this car. It is so much nicer than the 2003 Ford Ranger that I traded in for it.

I am interested in starting to mod my ride already. I had fog lights installed by the dealer. My question is what are some other good mods to start with? I don't think I want to go too over the top with the mods since I am a bit paranoid that it might make the car a target of vandalism/theft, but I want it too look nice since this is the first vehicle I have had that I feel like I should take pride in. I see that many people lower their xBs, but I don't think I want to do that since I live in Rochester, NY and we get lots of snow and the roads are full of huge potholes. What kind of rim/wheel will work on a non-lowered xB? Will anything larger than the stock 16" wheel look ridiculous without being lowered? I am also thinking of adding a spoiler. How difficult are these to install yourself? Keep in mind that I live in an apartment, so I don't have access to alot of tools or a garage.

Thanks for your input!
The last thing you want is to have people tell you what to install or change. Instead, explore the forum (and others as well), look at photos and read threads. Decide what genuinely appeals to you. Remember, you are the one that gets to both pay for it and live with it. The goal is to make the car just the way you want it, not someone else.

Congrats on you new car and enjoy :)!

·
Registered
286 Posts

Congrats on your purchase. Keep in mind that your car is pre-wired for all oem modifications (I.e. fog lights, illuminated door sills, etc) so you might consider doing some of the work yourself and save some money. Installing the wing is a bit tricky. You must be precise with marking the holes otherwise you'll end up having to elongate the holes to make the holes match....happened to me....twice:clown:

·
Registered
372 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Agreed with Trevor 100% and would encourage you NOT to ask what to do to your own ride. Ask advice on things you like and things you want out of it but its your ride. Make it your own. That said, the link below should give you more than enough ideas on what's out there for your xB from over the top to near stock modest. Once you figure out what you want and like, ask people here if they have any experience with the part. If you're not sure what it is, post a link and ask, someone will know.

Enjoi.
Lets see everyones XB2

·
Registered
160 Posts
Great choice on your new ride! Like they said just look around and do the stuff you like some peoria might try to talk you into one thing but remember search search search you will almost always find another wa to do the same mod and you may like it more. So many ways and prices to go with lol. Especially when you start putting 24 smd LEDs in your dome light lol just pullin your leg hidkid! Good luck and don't hesitate to ask for help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I have narrowed the mods that I would like to start off with to a few things.

I would like to upgrade the stock wheels as I mentioned in my first post. I'm thinking of going with some 17" rims. I like the looks of the black finish with the white car. Has anyone had any experience with "Sport Tuning" or "Moda" brands? I like the looks of them and they're pretty affordable on tirerack.com.

I am also interested in upgrading the headlights. I've heard both good things and bad things about HID, but I think I want to stick with some nice halogens like Slyvania Silverstars or something like those. I saw some Slyvania XFEs at autozone the other day that claim to be similar to HIDs. Has anyone had an experience with these? I was also thinking of upgrading the taillights but I can't seem to find a lot of info regarding taillights for the 2012s. Will the models that fit the 2011s also work for the 2012s?

I like some of the pictures I've seen of the upgraded LEDs in the interior. I was planning on upgrading the map, dome, and cargo lights. Where are good places to buy these? I've seen that some people use oznium.com, but I've also seen that some people have some trouble with the fit of the lights. For those of you that have upgraded these, which sizes did you use and where did you get your lights?

I'm sure that I will want to do more but these are the first few things I want to start with. I appreciate any additional feedback you guys can offer.

Andy

·
Registered
160 Posts
Go through v LEDs they are great got mine in 4 days $27 to the door 194 single diffused 5000k plate bulbs 194 3 chip 5 led 5000k maps 31mm 3chip 4 led 5000k dome and cargo. The plate lights I took a razor blade and trimmed the diffuser about 1/8." so they would fit right perfect. The maps no issue dome super tight fit but it holds and cargo I was about to rip the thing out lol cause the stupid little back plate kept popping off after I would put the light back in lol. Had to use some needle nose adnreshapenthe metal clip a tad so it would hold the 31mm right but very easy. They sell 28mm that will fi perfect but there only 2leds so not bright enough. All the bulbs are same color reall white a hint if blue but really can't tell. Cheaper ones tend to not be the same color .as for headlight I'm about to do the same no hids for me don't like them I am going to run the silver stars too they are nice good quality and affordable I have had them in all my other cars I love them.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I used Sylvania Silverstar Utra low beams with slightly elevated aim and they work well for me, As for interioir LED's, there're plenty of options, I installed a pair of 8 sme LED panels in my dome (took a little soldering to the festoon adapter) and used other options for the map lights and cargo. Think and read and if your initial purchase doesn't entirely work out, you can always take another shot :)! Think in terms of temps, 3000K is kinda warm like tungsten, 6000K is kinda blue, which may look cool, but doesn't help you see. My personal preference is more like 5000K or a little less. See? Nothing is really that simple, takes some reading and thought :)!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I have narrowed the mods that I would like to start off with to a few things.

I would like to upgrade the stock wheels as I mentioned in my first post. I'm thinking of going with some 17" rims. I like the looks of the black finish with the white car. Has anyone had any experience with "Sport Tuning" or "Moda" brands? I like the looks of them and they're pretty affordable on tirerack.com.

I am also interested in upgrading the headlights. I've heard both good things and bad things about HID, but I think I want to stick with some nice halogens like Slyvania Silverstars or something like those. I saw some Slyvania XFEs at autozone the other day that claim to be similar to HIDs. Has anyone had an experience with these? I was also thinking of upgrading the taillights but I can't seem to find a lot of info regarding taillights for the 2012s. Will the models that fit the 2011s also work for the 2012s?

I like some of the pictures I've seen of the upgraded LEDs in the interior. I was planning on upgrading the map, dome, and cargo lights. Where are good places to buy these? I've seen that some people use oznium.com, but I've also seen that some people have some trouble with the fit of the lights. For those of you that have upgraded these, which sizes did you use and where did you get your lights?

I'm sure that I will want to do more but these are the first few things I want to start with. I appreciate any additional feedback you guys can offer.

Andy
For HID's I've had great luck with DDM Tuning. Lifetime warranty on everything but the bulbs. Cheap prices and plug & play.

I would say look into 16" or 18" alloys if you can since the tires are often cheaper since they're more common sizes. (just a thought but in no way saying not to go with 17's.)

As for LED's do your research. If you're not good with a steady hand and soldering iron I wouldn't just jump in to it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.