Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was bored this morning and started thinking about shifter knob mods. I wanted the "short throw shifter" look without cutting the automatic shifters shaft or stock knob. What I opted for was a modified after market shift knob. The stock shift knob is about 115mm tall which leaves a small portion of the shaft visible at the bottom. I found a slightly shorter knob of about 104mm similarly shaped knob made of leather with black stitching. I modified the new knob by drilling deeper into it. This allows the shorter knob to sit even lower on the shaft, giving the short shaft look. i think this can be done with any one piece shift knob. I also tried an "8 Ball" with no additional drilling, the material was to thin.

Stock knob

Cheap PepBoys Knob is the right height, but not quite as wide as stock. Will just take a little getting use to.

Cheap "8 Ball".Good height and width, so it feels ok. The material is kind of thin. In the long run I'd like to replace it with a cast resin type.

here another, a "T" handle this time.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Done

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I didn't notice at first, but it matches the break handle too. It feels pretty good with my palm on the side of the knob and my thumb in the little detente at the top. It's very much like a joy stick.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
With a bit of nail polish remover, one can remove the "8" on the ball.  It is an OLD trick use to strip tempo print off of diecast stuff, like Hot Wheels.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Looks great! I'm partial to the 8 ball!

·
Registered
74 Posts
With the drilling done into the shift knob....wouldn't that mess up the thread that is there inside the shift knob that allows it to screw on? What kind of drill bit did you use?

Anyone else have any pics of modified shifters? I want something short as possible so it is out of the way of the A/C knobs as much as it can be.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tica said:
With the drilling done into the shift knob....wouldn't that mess up the thread that is there inside the shift knob that allows it to screw on? What kind of drill bit did you use?

Anyone else have any pics of modified shifters? I want something short as possible so it is out of the way of the A/C knobs as much as it can be.
These are all cheap knobs from local autoparts stores, open box returns. They come with plastic inserts and set screws.So no threads to mess up. I use a caliper to find the right depth and just use a regular drill bit.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I just changed my shift knob to a GATLING GUN. It cost $29.99, but I got it for $1.50! It was on clearance in PepBoys.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
TartanJack said:
With a bit of nail polish remover, one can remove the "8" on the ball. It is an OLD trick use to strip tempo print off of diecast stuff, like Hot Wheels.
What the 8-ball with the printed (not engraved) 8 on it looks like w/ the 8 removed:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.