Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After over a month and a half of planning, building, and installing, I've finished my subwoofer setup.

Subs: Pioneer TS-W309S4 x2
Amplifier: Hifonics Brutus BRZ1200.1D
Custom ported enclosure tuned to 29.6hz (built for sound quality)

I modeled the enclosure on AutoDesk, just to have a visual before actually building it

Here is it finished

It looks clean, sounds great, and even hits really hard, at least harder than I was expecting.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Looks nice. Love AutoDesk...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sounds great. The amp supplies more than the subwoofers need (so have to be careful) but they are definitely powerful and hit hard. Also I built the enclosure based on available space, and tuned it as low as I could (probably could have gone lower somehow, but hey, it's my first sub system). So its definitely high sound quality. Exceeded my expectations :)

·
Premium Member
2011 Scion xB Release Series 8.0 SoundWave
746 Posts
not much lower as 2 things limit. 1) your hears doesn't go below 35 hertz and media players dont play below 20 hertz. Besides nobody does a box for sq with 2 12" subs. Lower tuning is for deep bass or spl. SQ is for a bit higher tuned freq's for the punchy aspects. Lower freqs are in reference to a bigger internal volume.

Just that facts, I've been doing this for 18 yrs and am a SQ IASCA Competitor

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
on a more positive note, I'm sure it sounds great. I'm using a 12" L7 with the Boston GT2300, so I know what you mean about being careful about power. I love lots of bass but I prefer SQ.

Congradulations on your 1st box build

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Your amp is capable of delivering 900 watts to the 2 ohm load at 14.4 volts which our cars don't run at.

RMS Power Rating (@ 14.4V):
  • 4 ohms: 450 watts x 1 chan.
  • 2 ohms: 900 watts x 1 chan.
  • 1 ohm: 1200 watts x 1 chan.
But the amp is also a mono block and they are usually under rated in power and are always more effecient.

Your woofers handle about 400 watts rms each. This with the size of the box and being ported makes you louder than alot of guys with 2 12" woofers and anyone with a pre-fab box for 2 15" woofers I'd bet.

If you get the opportunity, try dual dvc woofers. This may knock for socks off!!

I'd bet your pushing 142 decibels right now, especially with our cars being a "hatchback" style car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback. The highest low range frequency I've seen studies claim is 20hz, some saying as low as 15. But I guess in a car it can be hard to hear it (I love feeling the vibrations though). Personally I've always thought of low tuning as SQ because it can hit the deep notes, and higher tuning for SPL because it boosts the sound for the range where most of the bass is, but I guess it's different for different people. By DVC do you mean dual voice coil? Would that make a difference?? Since they're already wired at 2 ohms (in parallel).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.