Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 xB. I hit something in the road and it broke party of the silver aluminum what I'm guessing is a heat shield? It runs along the underside of the car. It's not on the actual exhaust it's on the car itself and covers the bottom of the car from the exhaust. Anyone know if I can just take it off? Or where I can get another one?

·
Registered
448 Posts
That's just heat shielding for the exhaust. It's reasonably important that you keep it or replace it if necessary. Not sure where to buy it, maybe look on ebay?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All I can find is the parts that actually clamp over parts of the exhaust. I can't imagine it blocking THAT much heat. It's very very thin. What are the consequences of not having it? I would like to keep it. As of now it is touching the exhaust and making a terrible fingernails on chalk board screech.

·
Registered
841 Posts
When this car was designed, that part was deemed necessary. It might be listed in the body parts list rather than the exhaust section. If you know somebody at a body shop, see if they can find it thru their internet parts site.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Of course it's necessary it wouldn't be my luck if it wasn't! Lol. If anyone could point me to some info on it maybe explaining why it's needed or where to get another. I'd really appreciate it! I can't find anything on it everything I can find about it,is on other cars.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The heat shield is made from aluminum because it is lightweight but especially because aluminum conducts heat very well. In this case, radiant heat coming off the exhaust pipe goes into the heat shield and is quickly dissipated due to the greater surface area of the heat shield and also due to the flow of air past the heat shield, which increases dramatically if the car is moving.

Aluminum is very easily bent, so chances are you can bend the heat shield back to something resembling the original shape. Aluminum can also be welded, so it's also possible to repair it (although in this case, the material is so thin welding may be tricky).

You could remove it, but I wouldn't. Toyota went to the trouble and expense to put it there for a reason. I'd be especially concerned if this is near the plastic gas tank.

I'd go to a junkyard and hunt down a replacement.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea. I've got it bent back pretty well. But the main bolt up front that it tore off from is very hard to access. And when it was damaged it tore some off around the boot. I was going to get a large washer in order to get it to not just fall off cuz of the larger hole.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts