Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just joined the site and have been reading many different posts about the joys of ownership so wanted to say hi! I'm looking to buy a new car soon and for some odd reason the little XB has jumped in front of the line in terms of replacement cars I am looking at. Now it's just trying to restrain myself from going nuts with all the little TRD accessories on offer, seems like I always end up with the car being quoted at well over 20k!!

One quick question I wanted to ask: What's everyone's view on the SNS-200 head unit? I am debating on getting factory Navi or saving my money and going with a portable unit. Is the cost of the SNS-200 really worth the expense in terms of benefits and usability?

Well, hopefully I can report back with some good news soon! Really was wanting a RS 8.0 but will settle with a standard 5-spd in white :)

· Premium Member
2,527 Posts
white is the way to go, not that Im partial or anything haha.

Welcome to the site man.

Id recommend not getting any TRD stuff right off the bat, thats all stuff you can find pretty easily for less money than the dealer is asking and install yourself.

Personally, Ive never use the SNS-200, but I know a few guys on the site have it, so Im sure they're chime in.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's one sick ride there, and white really stands out. I'm still debating but will most likely be white, with Army a close second.

Thanks for the welcome and the heads up on the TRD stuff, I am not very technical so my thought was to have it done right off the showroom floor. Also, I am one to never follow up and customize a vehicle once I have it. Just seem to never get around to it, although this site might change my mind.

Looking forward to hearing about the navi and any other advice/tips/suggestions/etc that you guys can provide.

J

· Registered
846 Posts
That's one sick ride there, and white really stands out. I'm still debating but will most likely be white, with Army a close second.

Thanks for the welcome and the heads up on the TRD stuff, I am not very technical so my thought was to have it done right off the showroom floor. Also, I am one to never follow up and customize a vehicle once I have it. Just seem to never get around to it, although this site might change my mind.

Looking forward to hearing about the navi and any other advice/tips/suggestions/etc that you guys can provide.

J
So you say that your not very technical, well after reading for a while , you'll get more confident. Projects are really well explained and any questions that arrise will be answered. The more you do, the more fun you'll have. It means so much more when you do it yourself.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do look forward to doing some of my own work, but will need to do it slowly. Last vehicle I worked on was an old motorcycle and I always ended up with spare nuts/screws/bolts at the end of each job!

Now just waiting for my house (new build delayed since May) so I can have a garage. No need to put the xb on the street so it can suffer the abuses of being parked in NYC :) My neighbors seem to park by touch, as the rear bumper of my current car can testify

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Welcome!
Be positive on what you want on/in your xB. Then, assess your mechanical skills-> as to whether or not you'll be able to do-it-yourself.
I bought mine as totally stock with just floor mats. The rest, I've added myself over the last 3 years. So, it can be done.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's definitely the way I will be going. Now I just hope that there are some xb owners in my area who can help in case I royally screw things up. More and more I think it will be stock as money will be tight with a new house and don't want to go crazy. Modding budget will have to be shared with a bike as well, so will see how it plays out next year :)

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm in Queens NY. Haven't seen many xb's around my way (I do see one parked around my way with a decepticon sticker on the hood, anyone here?) so should be unique enough. Hopefully there are a lot of guys out in LI or Jersey?

· Registered
647 Posts
First of all, Welcome to the site!

I have the SNS-200 and I really like it but def not worth the $$$ they are asking for it. Also not the best unit by any means for a big system like mine. You have to install line drivers to get the proper voltage to your amplifiers. There are also fixes that have to be performed in order to gain full functionality (watching DVDs, Navi destination changes) when the car is in motion so keep those things in mind. I installed the SNS-200 in my 09 and performed the modifications during the install. Toyota will not do this for you. All said and done I am still happy I bought the unit. I love the OEM look to it.

I have had a great time modding my ride. Most of the mods are so simple to perform but add so much personality to the car. The DIY tutorials found on this site and others really make things that much more simple. Ask around because one of us is always willing to help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.