Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang! Bought my 2011 xB in Sept of this year ... loving it so far, but frustrated by 2 issues that I hope you can provide some insight on:

1. I am on my 3rd windshield since the end of December! I commute 100+ miles a day and, with the crazy winter we have been having here in Indiana, have taken rocks to the windshield. Is this a common problem? And ... does anyone know where I can get a Lexan windshield?? :biggrin:

2. The factory sub cuts in and out at various times ... I have tried to pay attention to whether it is happening when I hit a bump or something, but it is pretty random. Any ideas where to start my search for a short in the wire? It is pretty cold here, and I don't have a garage, so my time to investigate is limited until winter is over.

Overall, I LOVE this car ... the only car that I have owned that I loved more than this was my Celica! But a Celica is not practical when you have 2 teenagers and a wife to haul around. I can't wait until I have some extra $$ so that I can add some LEDs and trick it out a little ...

Thanks!
============================
2011 Black Sand Pearl automatic, 20% tint + brow, TRD lowering springs, factory Alpine deck, factory Bazooka powered sub, Drag DR-9 flat black 18" rims with 225/40/18 tires

·
Registered
432 Posts
It may be because of the blocky angle. At highway speeds it's less likely to just glance off your window.

I do 80 miles daily and I don't have any cracks myself but maybe I've just been lucky. I heard the front bumper guard piece "eyebrow" that's sold on Canadian scions helps with that by redirecting the air flow, but can't say for sure. Three windshields in less than a year, ouch... maybe contact Scion or something.

·
Registered
185 Posts
welcome! Sorry about your luck with the windshields, I've only had my xb 3 months so I haven't had any issues with cracks. But I have came across a few pics of other peoples cracked windshields on this forum so it does seem to happen a decent amount. I would definitely agree with markio as well. The boxiness certainly doesn't help any.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, its a little nuts ... Had the first one replaced right after Christmas due to a rock kicked up from a semi. The next one was at the end of January from the same thing. Then this past Tuesday night, on the way home from work, I got a rock again and it put a little "ding" in the windshield that, come Wednesday morning and -10 temps, cracked all the way across in one loud pop! My insurance guy is laughing about my bad luck ...

I also noticed that I am going to have to get the front emblem repainted black as it must be taking a beating because it has chips all over it where the paint is chipping off! Is that a pain to do?

============================
2011 Black Sand Pearl automatic, 20% tint + brow, TRD lowering springs, factory Alpine deck, factory Bazooka powered sub, Drag DR-9 flat black 18" rims with 225/40/18 tires

·
Registered
164 Posts
The front emblem just pops off. Depending on how bad it is you may need to sand it ever so slightly to give the paint more to adhere too but shouldn't be bad. As for the rock chips several companies make a clear spray that covers the front of your vehicle like bumpers hood and fender bits. I think 3m, platidip, and turtlewax all have a version but it goes on like a clear film and is supposed to absorb a lot of damage. Then you peel it off and re-coat as needed. Doesn't help your windshield problem but may keep everything else looking good.

As for the sub I would start at the sub, check the wiring there and run all the way back to the head unit. If there aren't any obvious spots of wear where there may be a short then you may have to re-do the wiring. At which point you may as well do the sub too :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
isk1tz - thanks for the info. Too bad that spray can't work on the windshield LOL! I am seriously thinking of investigating a lexan one if by bad luck continues ...

I have given thought to replacing that tiny sub (I previously had a Celica with 2 14" subs in the trunk with 1000w amp pushing them) but I cannot afford to lose the trunk space to do something like that. I noticed a bit of space under the front seats, and like a storage space under the rear seat ... Anyone have any experience w/ subs in either of these two areas?? And did you replace the head unit as well, or work off of the one installed by the factory???

·
Registered
596 Posts
Welcome!

Search this forum there are many threads on subs under the seats and there is even specs and dimensions on the correct size of box you need to build to fit under seats.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Under seat subs.
http://www.newscionxb.com/131-audio-electronics/10092-under-seat-sub-box.html

Anytime I work on a sound system the first thing to go is the stock head unit, just preference. If you do that though most aftermarkets don't have extra hookups for your steering wheel controls or the aux ports in the center console although running a new cable isnt to hard to do from the head unit to the middle. I did it in my celica ;)

If you would rather have them in the hatch I have seen boxes online that "hide" the subs in the cubby holes in the back but your size would be limited. You would still have most of your hatch space though.

OR as I once mentioned in a previous post and you couldn't care less for just in case scenarios and don't mind fab work you could scrap your spare and drop a fat sub in the hole it leaves. That was just an idea but I wouldn't mind seeing some one try lol

·
Registered
149 Posts
As far as the sub goes, I'd say just pull all of the wiring and do everything from scratch. If that doesn't work, just make you one or two to go under the seats. Brick Pig has done a complete DIY and Damaged followed in his footsteps with a simpler version. I'm running t2 10's in my hatch right now but if I had the tools, they'd be under the seats.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Under the front passenger seat is the way to go IMO. Centralized bass for all the occupants and no loss of cargo space. An 8" sub fits pretty easy, and if you are willing to block the underseat heater vent and/or expand the box over the floor rails, you can increase the size of your enclosure to house a 10" sub. You do need access to tools and be reasonably handy though.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have a 2012 and I have already rock chipped the **** out of my bumper and front of the hood. At least it looks bad to me but not really that noticeable. I have just one noticeable chip in my windshield. It all depends on luck, what roads you're driving on, and who you are behind. Don't drive behind big trucks.

It is also a bug magnet/destroyer.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Fun fact, if you drive a black vehicle through the state of Arkansas between midnight and dawn sometime in mid summer your car will be a brown bug gut color.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Yeah, in summer you don't want to drive around dusk or dawn. Sometimes it almost sounds like it's raining.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, windshield #3 was put in yesterday and (dare I say it for fear of jinxing it) I made it to work today without getting it hit by any flying debris!! Here's to hoping that my good luck keeps going from this point forward ... LOL! Thanks for the feedback ... glad to know I am not the only one that has had bad luck with the windshields at one point or another.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.