Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Er, I see problems right away.. the station nearest to me says 3.77 as of now on the "checker", but I bought gas there yesterday and it was 3.87.

Don't know how it works, but it's not up to date.

· Registered
637 Posts
That is a sweet widget.

I am not sure how the price checking works on that one. I usually go here and check gas prices, http://www.gasbuddy.com/
The way they work is people sign up and report gas prices. Maybe that one works the same way and they can only update it if people are sending in the info. I know that when I look on gasbuddy sometimes they have a few stations and sometimes they don't cause no one has reported any pricing for that station. And with as fast as gas prices are rising, I am sure it would be very hard to keep those things completely accurate. I am not signed up on gasbuddy I just check prices sometimes.

· Registered
1,207 Posts
Eric said:
Want to know the lowest gas prices within X number of miles from you? I just added a handy tool to NewScionxB.com that will really help you out...

Check Local Gas Prices

:thumbsup:
the widget does not find current prices in my area - they look to be 1-2 weeks old??

i know because i report gas prices to gasbuddy all the time and it is showing $4.37 at a local 76 station when it is now $4.51 cash price!!

am i doing something wrong?

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's nothing to the widget, so I doubt you're doing anything wrong. It may not be as accurate as GasBuddy because there are thousands of people who contribute to that site, but I've also found errors on GB. It's especially hard now when gas prices are changing daily. I've seen some around here make bigger jumps than what you mentioned in a day or two.

· Registered
318 Posts
I'm in the process of building an electric motorcycle to try to circumvent the gas prices. it's going to be about a $1000 or so, but it'll pay for itself...that's 15-20 fill ups of initial investment, then i'm home free

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What is everyone doing to save money, or use less gas these days?

We're switching day care for our son, mostly because we didn't feel comfortable w/ the other one, but we found a great woman in our neighborhood, so that will save a lot of commute time! And my wife is looking to transfer to a closer office, so we may be able to car pool eventually. My office is only 3.5 mi from home, but I go home for lunch, so that doubles. When we switch day care and if we car pool, that will be a drastic reduction in commute time and gas!

· Registered
1,707 Posts
Not much more we can really do. We both used to work about 15 miles away (30 round trip x 2 = 60 miles a day). I became a SAHM (stay at home mom, just in case ya didn't know that one) and DH now works 2 miles from home (if that). Other than combining shopping trips and no more driving around checking out homes for sale (something we like to do), I'm not sure. DH wants a motorcycle, but I don't see that happening! :p

· Registered
2008 xB
568 Posts
We just try to cut down on unnecessary trips and impulse purchases. We don't eat out as much (but haven't given up completely), and are less likely to just hop in the car and go for a ride. The local supermarket has a gas station that offers discounts. You used to get a coupon for ten cents/gallon off if you spent $50 in one shot, plus another five cents/gallon when you swiped your store card. Now they have a point system, so every purchase counts. You can get as much as $1.00/gallon discount if you buy enough groceries ($500 worth). Needless to say, we buy as much as posssible there now...within reason.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.