Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just got my xB a few weeks ago! It's a 2012 silver one, my first new car. I got the one on the showroom floor since the others had a little hail damage. By the way that's what killed my 2001 Grand Prix GTP - check out some pics and a video if you want to see the carnage. I'm in the St. Louis area.

I have to thank everyone here in the forums because I learned a lot already before I bought it!

Here it is. I love it! I love the way it drives. I love the interior. I love the space. I love the body style. I love that it's a little unique (but not the xb1 :) ). I even love the horn, lol. The seat feels great. Overall it's not fancy but it does the basics very well. I'm a happy camper. I already got a **** flat tire though with a piece of metal in the corner and had to buy a new tire. It sucked but I guess if it happened now is a good time since the tires are all new still.

-Baby's first wax

-here I am complete with hipsterish tshirt hah

It's stock. I'm not a big modder and I'm done with doing audio. I don't care about it enough anymore to justify the hassle (guess I'm getting old). The base stereo is pretty awesome with HD, ipod control, bluetooth phone. I found it was way heavy on the treble and bass and no midrange so I lowered both treble and bass.

I think I'll get wheels though. I could use a little help in that department. I've looked at some at tirerack and discounttire and found a few I like. I don't know much about buying wheels though. If I get a bigger size, I have to get all new tires. But what about the spare? Is that still fine if the tire+wheel is the same diameter? What about offset? Maybe I should just get 16" wheels so I can use my same tires. Is there anything I else I need to know?

I also plan to get the cubbie nets since it should have come with them. I guess I'll have the dealer do that since I have a coupon and I don't want to tear anything up. I almost got the rear bumper protector at the dealer since it looked pretty cool but saw on the forum here the bushwhacker one and that probably makes more sense. I already found I would like to have it on there after loading some stuff.

I didn't get a wing. At first I wanted one but then after looking at more photos online I decided that the xB has a great unique look to it and both with and without the wing- each has its own personality and I ended up liking that better without.

Then after that, maybe it's CAI? Exhaust?

By the way, are they discontinuing xB after the 2012 year? I saw a blog somewhere saying that. I don't mind, just curious.

-Which is best? :) funny. I parked near the Soul, then when I got back to my car I noticed the Cube so I parked in the adjacent spot for the shot.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Pretty nice ride you got there :)

As for the wheels, I have 18's and I kept my original spare. Unless you get the Big Brake Kit, I think the spare will do just fine! Others guys around here are more qualified to answer, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I saw yours in the forums already. I wondered how the black front bumper thing would look with the newer grill style and you did a great job with yours, looks nice. Did you paint the hub caps for the winter picture? Those look darn good too.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Welcome Mike.You've got a nice B there.Is it a auto or 5spd?The best thing about the B is that you can do anything you want. Mine is a '09, and I've done a lot of little things to it that now make it totally unique for me,including wheel mods,lights,and grille. The lights are now mostly LED's and HID's. I also added a LED cargo light.I'd go for the bushwacker rear bumper protector since the other one is just a vinyl application and not very effective.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks! I saw yours in the forums already. I wondered how the black front bumper thing would look with the newer grill style and you did a great job with yours, looks nice. Did you paint the hub caps for the winter picture? Those look darn good too.
Yep, I painted my caps with Flat black Krylon Fusion, it was very easy and low cost!

Then after that, maybe it's CAI? Exhaust?
I suggest a Short Ram Intake ^^ The sounds is awesome :D

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Welcome!

Gotta love the silver. It hardly ever looks dirty . . .
The shots of the B, Cube, and Soulless side-by-side are interesting. The difference in design philosophy is striking!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone!

Yeah the box car lineup was pretty funny. The Cube had nice darker (Nissan) wheels on it actually and you could tell the owner did some nice small mods in the Cube design philosophy. I just don't like them though. Soulless, LOL. I test drove one and was not impressed. Two engine options, slow and slower. And the interior was a big turnoff.

I may have to paint my hub caps! Even if I get other wheels it will be good to have them. "Flat black Krylon Fusion" - I like the flat black look, including for regular wheels, but cleaning worries me a bit. What's your experience?

My box is an auto, not 5 speed. I haven't driven a stick since I was 16 or 17 and it would be fun but I like convenience too. Plus they didn't have any sticks at the dealer and it costs extra to get a different car in.

I don't really have any desire to work on the interior besides the cubbie hole nets. The option steering wheel would be cool and definitely looks better but that's not a big deal. Mostly I will leave things stock. The wife insisted that I get wheels so I have no problem with that :) And then maybe some other small exterior cosmetic stuff and the bushwacker bumper protector. Besides that, a little engine related stuff is cool too but can be more expensive. $$ is always a concern and I won't go nuts on it. I'm picky also so I won't do a lot of customizing just to be a little unique if I don't like it. It's already pretty unique.

I love the headlights already and I don't like some of the aftermarket LED taillights I've seen around so far so I'll stick with what I've got.

Short Ram eh :) What's that like vs cold air intake? Does it make a cool sucking sound? hehe. I'm not really going for sound, and actually I don't want a loud drone going when I take a long trip on the highway, though it would be fun for sure. This is my only car. I will take noise into account for this stuff.

I read on here the TRD cold air intake is decent, maybe not as much of a boost as others but probably quieter. I've not had a CAI before. How is it having a washable filter? You can't just go to the auto-store and buy a new $10 FRAM every so often eh. Is it a pain in the butt to take off and put on or wash?

I checked out the two Borla exhaust options and saw the dual exhaust cost more vs the single but was a little quieter (5.6db louder vs 9db louder if that can be trusted). That's not too bad actually. It looks like they have the same 128CFM. You probably think I'm funny trying to minimize noise.

How about warranty and emissions stuff for the cold air intake/short ram? I'm in Illinois so not a CARB state so I think most aftermarket stuff would be fine. However Illinois follows California in this kind of stuff sometimes so I wouldn't be surprised if it happened tomorrow. For warranty I plan to keep this thing a long time so I don't want to do anything that will detract from that.

I will keep the questions coming if you guys have answers :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
If you get a short ram intake, I suggest you get the K&N because it has a great heat shield. Weapon R is a good one too but I don't think it comes with a heat shield. It's all personal preference but I don't think there is that big of a difference between CIA and SRI.

I'm sure with the cold air intake, the air most likely isn't as cold as it was when it was sucked in due to it still has to travel up through the long piping leading into your throttle body.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I may have to paint my hub caps! Even if I get other wheels it will be good to have them. "Flat black Krylon Fusion" - I like the flat black look, including for regular wheels, but cleaning worries me a bit. What's your experience?

Short Ram eh :) What's that like vs cold air intake? Does it make a cool sucking sound? hehe. I'm not really going for sound, and actually I don't want a loud drone going when I take a long trip on the highway, though it would be fun for sure. This is my only car. I will take noise into account for this stuff.

I read on here the TRD cold air intake is decent, maybe not as much of a boost as others but probably quieter. I've not had a CAI before. How is it having a washable filter? You can't just go to the auto-store and buy a new $10 FRAM every so often eh. Is it a pain in the butt to take off and put on or wash?

How about warranty and emissions stuff for the cold air intake/short ram? I'm in Illinois so not a CARB state so I think most aftermarket stuff would be fine. However Illinois follows California in this kind of stuff sometimes so I wouldn't be surprised if it happened tomorrow. For warranty I plan to keep this thing a long time so I don't want to do anything that will detract from that.

I will keep the questions coming if you guys have answers :)
Hubcaps : Since the painted hubs are for my winters wheels, and that we have a lot of snow up in here, my wheels are always dirty with salt or sand that they put on the road. They are very easy to wash and looks very good when clean :)

Short Ram : The engine sounds pretty much stock when driving at a constant speed, but once you ask more from the engine aka "pedal to the metal" you'll find a V8 engine under the hood :p I'm joking around but the sound is impressive compared to the stock intake. The " loud drone" sound comes usually from the aftermarket exhaust, not the intake.

Here's the link to the K&N SRi K&N 69-8613TS You'll find all the numbers and legal stuff you are looking for. I personally bought a dry-charger to put over the filter, since I'll keep it for winter and I don't want my filter sucking snow/rain/slush. The replacement is easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, that's great to know about the noise. I would have no problem with short ram or CAI. It's the exhaust I'd want to be careful about.

By the way thanks to other threads I've decided to stick with 16" for the wheels I'll get so ride quality doesn't suffer and beat up my box :) I've looked on tirerack and discounttire. Are there any others I should check? What do you think about Drag (I know some here have these), Velox, ASA, Axis, Focal wheel brands? Are they ok? People say they are cheaper knockoffs. Well I have no problem with that as long as they are well made. I plan to have them a long time. Will they chip? Any suggestions?

Also, does anyone know, are the options listed on Scion's site priced to include everything or would the dealer charge more for labor?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I got my Drag 34 wheels from Discount Tire Direct
$70 Instant Online Savings - Discount Tire Direct
they are currently offering $50 or $70 discounts on select sets of 4 wheels thru the end of June. Once you get your wheels you can have them mounted with your stock tires at a discount at any Discount Tire store.

When I got my wheels, I also got centering rings and their wheel lug kit (splined lug nuts) although Amazon is a bit cheaper.

Have fun and post pics when done!

·
Registered
243 Posts
welcome to the site. love dat CSM. the pix you posted are pretty awesome.8)

cleaning the trd cai filter is a PITA, but it's a job. you only have to every 50,000 miles. i've done mine twice. can't speak on the maintenance schedule for other brands.

the warranty on the trd cai will match your xB warranty if installed by the dealer, 12mo/12,000 otherwise.

have fun with your B, keep up the maintenance schedule, and keep it cleaned and waxed and it will serve you a long time.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got my Drag 34 wheels from Discount Tire Direct
$70 Instant Online Savings - Discount Tire Direct
they are currently offering $50 or $70 discounts on select sets of 4 wheels thru the end of June. Once you get your wheels you can have them mounted with your stock tires at a discount at any Discount Tire store.

When I got my wheels, I also got centering rings and their wheel lug kit (splined lug nuts) although Amazon is a bit cheaper.

Have fun and post pics when done!
Thanks Brick, that's great info. It looks like the only wheels that fit the car 16" and have a discount right now are Rage A10. Your wheels look good, I was eyeing those. Are yours the gunmetal with machined lip? I checked out your Google Sites page. I didn't think I'd mess with lights but I have to admit yours look really cool. Wow you did some work. Very well done with all the work on yours!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Thanks for your comments! Yes I have the Drag 34 in gunmetal with a machined lip. I like them but all the recesses take time to clean...

Actually if you start from the Wheels button and enter your car data, there are many wheels with a $50 discount on a set of 4 wheels, not just the Rage A10:
Wheel Products - Discount Tire Direct
See the red box under the price that says "$50 web only savings"?

Have fun shopping!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
welcome to the site. love dat CSM. the pix you posted are pretty awesome.8)

cleaning the trd cai filter is a PITA, but it's a job. you only have to every 50,000 miles. i've done mine twice. can't speak on the maintenance schedule for other brands.

the warranty on the trd cai will match your xB warranty if installed by the dealer, 12mo/12,000 otherwise.

have fun with your B, keep up the maintenance schedule, and keep it cleaned and waxed and it will serve you a long time.
Thanks!
Good to know about the TRD CAI. It costs a lot, but I have been thinking about going that way so that I can just have them fix it if something happens. I'm warrantied until 7yrs/100K miles. It looks sweet too. Nice clean looking silver B you have :)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for your comments! Yes I have the Drag 34 in gunmetal with a machined lip. I like them but all the recesses take time to clean...

Actually if you start from the Wheels button and enter your car data, there are many wheels with a $50 discount on a set of 4 wheels, not just the Rage A10:
Wheel Products - Discount Tire Direct
See the red box under the price that says "$50 web only savings"?

Have fun shopping!
Ah that's strange. I changed the search to "specials" and it only showed the one. Good to know thanks!

Yeah cleaning wheels can be a pain and finger and wrist killer. I see the DR-31s have a few less spokes, hehe. Darn there isn't a "see it on your car" option for that... but here they are on a silver tC and here on a blue xB. Oh wait, the see it on my car thing works if I scroll through from different wheel, it's just not linked on the DR-31 in search. I think I'm looking for something dark colored, maybe black but not glossy. Gunmetal or whatever dark gray sounds good. I want all one color though so no machined lip. And of course some spoke pattern I like :) We'll see and I will post pics eventually.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
if you're looking for rims, there is always someone selling a pair that they are sick of using. Just be patient and you'll find something that you love.
Good suggestion. I already trolled craigslist a little but I'll stay on that and ebay.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.