Scion XB Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
That's because, for some reason, the DR-31 in Gunmetal color is not available in 16", only 17" and 18".
Yeah, it looks like they have it for 16" (here) but it's just not in the "see it on your car" thing.

· Registered
243 Posts
be sure to check the classifieds on this site. the members here offer some really sweet deals to other forum members.

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
be sure to check the classifieds on this site. the members here offer some really sweet deals to other forum members.
Cool, I see ManInTheBox's 17" Scion rims with tires. The wheels are about what I'm looking for. Nice price for whole thing, and $600, but add shipping. And I don't know what I'm doing with different size tires, what's up with that? Will that eff up the gauges? Noob here.

I can get Drags on discounttiredirect for $110*4 = $440. $440-50 discount = $390.00, free shipping. Wow. Ebay sellers are higher (I messaged Custom Wheel Outlet on there to see if they'd lower price).

By the way, what about the Tire Pressure Monitor stuff? Can any place that mounts my wheels get that fixed up correctly? Do I have to buy new TPMS sensors? Tire Rack says $300, son of a *****.
And lugs? It's sounding like I need to get tuner lugs since it's a smaller spot. How can I tell? I guess I'd call if I bought from discounttiredirect.

Thanks for all the help guys!

· Registered
243 Posts
you can transfer your TPMS to the new wheels, no problem. i've had this done plenty of times. they just have to be careful when installing them and mounting the tires on the rim. most reputable shops use padded hardware to mount tires. but it's no harm in asking.

the speedometer/gauges will not be affected if you stay close to the OEM wheel diameter. even when going to a larger wheel, the tire sidewall can be selected to matched the OEM diameter. go to rimsntires.com and use the tire size comparer link in the left column. plug in your desired numbers and read the results.

your OEM lugs should fit any wheel you mount. it would be a matter of personal taste.

aftermarket wheels are usually cheaper than OEM wheels. personally, i prefer OEM wheels because they increase the value of the car.

the OEM wheels MANINTHEBOX has for sale retail for over $1200 for the rims alone. so you'll have the weigh & decide!!!

good luck with your purchase.

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Great to hear about the TPMS and lugs. Phew.

About value of the car - it will probably only be "worth" a few thousand by the time I get a new one. I've had my 2 cars for 9 and 8 years and I would have had my second car longer if hail hadn't destroyed it. Of course it's worth more than that to me since it still looks good and gets me to work and back reliably even if it's old, but you know how car "investments" go.

I could always sell the wheels separately as well and put the stocks back on if that made sense at the time. It probably depends if I sell it myself or not. If so, it could help having interesting wheels. This is so far down the road I won't bother thinking about it now though. Hopefully my xB doesn't get hit by tennis ball hail too, LOL.

I agree with your thoughts on OEM wheels, though it won't be what I'm doing. What does Mr. Clean have? I saw your pix but didn't think those were Scion wheels.

I wanted a dark color on my silver xB though and none of those are available. And of course the cost is much higher. Something that could be really cool would be to find some OEM wheels off some older car that caught my eye and fit and get them powdercoated a dark color.

These BMW wheels could be sweet but I don't think the bolt pattern fits.
BMW OEM Wheels and Tires - 16 inch
Powdercoat them gunmetal or something and put on a different cap. Holy cow that's the same tire size. I might have to email this person. Need to imagine how they'd look.

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hey erozcs, I drove down to Texas and swapped your wheels while you were sleeping to see how they looked

:)
Unfortunately I'm pretty sure they are 120mm bolt pattern though.

· Registered
243 Posts
i just encountered a madman! LOL what we do with our spare time never ceases to amaze me.

those are/were 2005 G35 staggered wheels w/custom scion tC centercaps. same xB bolt pattern, but needed hubcentric rings. the smaller offset give it a wider stance.

there is a trend here in texas with nissan and toyota merging at the dealership level. the autogroup that owns my scion/toyota dealership also owns a nissan dealership. my old service director just took a position as GM of a nissan dealership in ATL.

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hehe, well I wanted to see what they would look like on a CSM like mine, Tirerack and Discounttiredirect-style. I want some wheels so I'm doing the homework. At $350 for 4 BMW wheels and tires with lots of wear left it would be a heck of a deal and I could have some fun powdercoating them. Alas, I got a response and learned they are from a 2005 325i and the 5x120mm bolt pattern after all.

I did find this wikipedia page. The makes that generally use the same bolt pattern are:
Ford, Mazda, Honda, Acura, Toyota. Now I know what to keep an eye out for on Craigslist.

The lower offset means they attach at the center of the wheel further in and then the spokes come outward a bit to the fender plane, right? That is a cool look and yours looks great. Too much would be bad and yours is just right. "hubcentric rings" I'll have to watch out for that.

How did you do the custom center caps? Maybe get a blank cap that fits the wheel and put some kind of Scion badge on it?

· Registered
243 Posts
the bolt pattern for the '08 & up is 5 x 114.3, the center hub bore is 60.1mm. i don't believe the bmw 120mm will work without an adapter and they are not safe.

with the centercaps i used the original infiniti caps, popped off the logo, snapped off the clips from the tC caps, sanded and bonded with emblem adhesive. worked out great and has lasted almost 5 years.

· Registered
26 Posts
Hey There! :wave: I just got my new Scion xB two days ago and i already can't get enough of it. I am so glad i got this vehicle over the smaller model the xD. I planned out at first to go to Toyota and get the Toyota Tacoma. But after i drove it, I liked it but i didn't like the seat set up. So after that i did drive the xD didn't like it. The way i felt squished wasn't for me. It was nice don't get me wrong. But was to small for a tall gal like me. Once i got into the test driving of the xB i fell in love, and wanted it that night. Unfortunately i had to wait 3 days to get it. Once i got it. I didn't want to stop driving it. I did however had to stick with the basic down to the bottom basic. But i love it none the less. It still only has 100 miles on it. I didn't really read about it before i ran into it at the toyota dealership. Still gotta learn more about it Haha. :). Looking to reading more forums to read about more Scions and see what people have done to them. This is my first Brand new vehicle.

http://www.newscionxb.com/members/12981-xxbebexx-albums-scion-xb-picture646-my-new-2012-scion-xb.jpg

And i love the color sizzling crimson mica

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Sweet! Looking good :)
Congratulations. It sounds like you're hooked too. And pretty cool that you got hooked after going to try other cars and not knowing much about it. I bought mine last month, my first new car also, and I love driving it so much I've already put 1000 miles on it (and I live 7 miles from my work).

That is a great color. I might have gotten that if the dealer had it. Actually I don't think I've seen another forum member with that color. I have a friend in St. Louis with one though.

I've learned a lot already from the forum so it's a great place to start. With all the people on here that have mods and cool different setups it may give you the urge to do some mods yourself so beware :) At the moment I have been looking at zillions of wheels. :eek:

· Registered
243 Posts
xXBeBexX, i recommend you start you own introduction thread so everyone can meet you.

you have a very interesting and compelling story to tell. i suggest you copy & paste it. if you need any help let us know. there are NO dumb questions here; we take on all xB2 challenges.

btw, welcome to the site. you're in the right place to learn about your new toy. the love & passion you expressed for the B will fit right in.

· Registered
243 Posts
starting from the newscionxb homepage click on forums. in the members area click on introductions. just above "threads in forum" click on new thread. in the title create an introduction. place your message in the box and then click submit.

· Registered
243 Posts
did you click on "submit new thread"? if so, it may take while to appear. if you feel you didn't do right, just start a new thread...

· Registered
243 Posts
sorry 'bout that hikingmike. i was trying to her directed to the right place. i pm'ed a moderator to help her out. she seemed a bit "thread-challenged". at least it added some traffic to your thread!!!:D

are you getting all your questions answered?

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.