Scion XB Forum banner

New xB, new forum member

15K views 60 replies 14 participants last post by  hikingmike 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I just got my xB a few weeks ago! It's a 2012 silver one, my first new car. I got the one on the showroom floor since the others had a little hail damage. By the way that's what killed my 2001 Grand Prix GTP - check out some pics and a video if you want to see the carnage. I'm in the St. Louis area.

I have to thank everyone here in the forums because I learned a lot already before I bought it!

Here it is. I love it! I love the way it drives. I love the interior. I love the space. I love the body style. I love that it's a little unique (but not the xb1 :) ). I even love the horn, lol. The seat feels great. Overall it's not fancy but it does the basics very well. I'm a happy camper. I already got a **** flat tire though with a piece of metal in the corner and had to buy a new tire. It sucked but I guess if it happened now is a good time since the tires are all new still.

-Baby's first wax

-here I am complete with hipsterish tshirt hah

It's stock. I'm not a big modder and I'm done with doing audio. I don't care about it enough anymore to justify the hassle (guess I'm getting old). The base stereo is pretty awesome with HD, ipod control, bluetooth phone. I found it was way heavy on the treble and bass and no midrange so I lowered both treble and bass.

I think I'll get wheels though. I could use a little help in that department. I've looked at some at tirerack and discounttire and found a few I like. I don't know much about buying wheels though. If I get a bigger size, I have to get all new tires. But what about the spare? Is that still fine if the tire+wheel is the same diameter? What about offset? Maybe I should just get 16" wheels so I can use my same tires. Is there anything I else I need to know?

I also plan to get the cubbie nets since it should have come with them. I guess I'll have the dealer do that since I have a coupon and I don't want to tear anything up. I almost got the rear bumper protector at the dealer since it looked pretty cool but saw on the forum here the bushwhacker one and that probably makes more sense. I already found I would like to have it on there after loading some stuff.

I didn't get a wing. At first I wanted one but then after looking at more photos online I decided that the xB has a great unique look to it and both with and without the wing- each has its own personality and I ended up liking that better without.

Then after that, maybe it's CAI? Exhaust?

By the way, are they discontinuing xB after the 2012 year? I saw a blog somewhere saying that. I don't mind, just curious.

-Which is best? :) funny. I parked near the Soul, then when I got back to my car I noticed the Cube so I parked in the adjacent spot for the shot.

See less See more
#38 ·
did you click on "submit new thread"? if so, it may take while to appear. if you feel you didn't do right, just start a new thread...

#40 ·
sorry 'bout that hikingmike. i was trying to her directed to the right place. i pm'ed a moderator to help her out. she seemed a bit "thread-challenged". at least it added some traffic to your thread!!!:D

are you getting all your questions answered?

#44 ·
I got my rear bumper protector on and C-pillar cubbies in that I got for Christmas. I don't have a garage and you were supposed to wait until 60 degree temps for the bumper protector adhesive so it took me a while. I also never found the correct tools for the C-pillar cubbies as specified but I made do and it worked well. Thanks to TartanJack!

Also - 10,000 miles! :)

#45 ·
Growing up so fast!
Bumper protector looks awesome

#46 ·
Thanks! Ever since I've had the car, I had wished I had the bumper protector in each time I'm doing something in the back or getting something out... Especially when other people are taking stuff out of the back :) one guy scratched my bumper a little pulling some heavy data tape equipment out that I was bringing to electronics recycling. That's the last time they get to take stuff out.

#47 ·
Haha I know the feeling!
People lean on my car at work when everyone is just hanging out.
Inside my mind im screaming

#49 ·
Along this line, I have a bumper protector new from Scion for the newer B's. I got it by mistake because I have an older B (09) and this part doesn't fit ( the curve is different). I'm willing to let it go for $20 plus shipping. I'm moving and don't want to take it with me. PM me for shipping info.

#52 ·
Dale is trying to sell one that would fit the xB2.5 bumper, if your interested . . .
;)

#54 ·
#55 ·
Wow, had to read quite a bit to get to this point. Welcome to the site. The funny thing is...I joined this sight not too long ago yet I feel that in this short time you have become a more active member than I have. Crazy. Super jealous of the ride. I'm shopping around for mine still and trying VERY hard to find a manual. Why are they so rare?
How are you liking your ride so far? 10,000 miles already...you sound like you drive almost as much as I do lol

#57 ·
Haha, hey thanks. Actually I live just 5 miles from work, but I do drive around the STL metro area pretty frequently and I took the xB to the Smoky Mountains last summer also which was 1100 miles just there and back. I've got a gas mileage log going so I'll post that here sometime.

I just posted to this thread again since I added those couple things and this is the thread I started for my car. I guess I should give this thread a rest and put things somewhere else now. I appreciate you reading it all though! I think I go in spurts of posting here.

It's cool that you're here before you get your car. I did the same thing. Just the exchange of the information lets you learn so much.

As for the manuals being rare, I can only say they make much less of them because that's how they predicted demand. The dealer I bought mine from didn't have any.

I still love my car. People ask me still and I still couldn't be happier with it! There are nitpicks here and there, but I'm glad to be having my xB for a long time.

I still don't know about the extras. The prices are high enough you'd think it would include labor but I'm not sure since if you buy them later I'm sure you'd have to pay for labor. I ended up not getting any add-ons except the floor mats which it came with due to money, and this way I can only get stuff I can pay for and I won't be paying interest on it. But financing that extra stuff is a big help if you're going that way anyway. I'm fine with my decision though. I have learned more and know more now about what I want. I would have gotten the Scion bumper protector and glad I didn't know and got this one instead. I never was going to get any of the Scion/TRD wheel selection either.

After all my looking around, further down the road I think I'll get 17" wheels now. I still like the Drag DR-31s so far. This might happen when my current tires start getting lower on tread, and my wallet starts getting heavier in money. Also, believe it or not I may go for the TRD Cold Air Intake which is ridiculously expensive, but looks great, and supposedly gives good midrange compared to the competition (maybe hearsay). And it goes better with my long warranty which is probably the main concern. It is one thing on the front end of the engine that I might want to be warranty covered, especially since people here know of hydrolock happening. I do have a TRD Sparks gift card now and might get more so that helps bigtime.

#59 ·
Sweet. I just looked at your thread too, glad you like it! One question, is it the new one? I'm not sure what year your car is and the TRD CAI is different from what it used to be - more expensive, but more professional looking too I guess. It uses a new airbox with a TRD flat filter instead of cone so that is probably a plus for maintenance.
2011+ TRD CAI

It might be argued that it doesn't do as much as the old CAI because it doesn't go down as far, but who knows. I didn't think anyone on the forum had one and there aren't any dyno results anywhere.

#60 ·
Well I have a 08 rs5.0 the intake I have is the one that goes into the fender into a airbox not cone filter and I know the know one will fit my car just as this one would fit urs they changed it up for Canada if I remember right cuz Canada has different laws or whatever so that's y they changed I could be wrong but I member reading that... When I go to lunch at work ill take some updated pics of the ride and post them so u can see what's up

#61 ·
Cool, no rush! I'd be getting the newer one since I wanted to be careful with the warranty on this one.

Oh another reason I remembered - no problems passing inspections when my car gets later in life and those are required.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.