Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, utes and ARRPer and all in between. I'm a 61 year old who has 2 scooters, a 91 firebird ragtop, a boat and a dingy. Now I have an g2xB on a lease for now. I have a couple of questions that I'm sure has been covered and could use your help/directions. Prime questions is trailer hitch situation, and second is wire harness best setup.
I have the Curt class ii ready to be installed, have not ordered harness.
I was suprised to see that the dealer, manual, say no towing or bike racks ect. The dealer says it will void the warranty.
Seeing how the Corolla and the Camery have a tow rating with the 2.4 whats your take on why its a no-no with Scion/ Especially seeing how Scion is targeted towards the youth 20-30 year old market..? Not looking to tow much but have a small 5X8 alumiinum trailer for dirty or bulky items

·
Registered
94 Posts
My question exactly. I knew the Gen I couldn't tow but was told by the salesman the Gen II was no problem. Bought my xB Gen II and read the manual and saw what you found...WTF. My last car was a 02 Elantra GT with 2.0 and it towed my Kendon single place motorcycle with my 04 HD Deuce just fine. Even got 29mpg towing the bike between FL and up State NY. I wish someone would explain. I have seen xB's pulling wave runners and people in various forums saying they tow with no problems. Where does it say towing will void your warranty????? Chief

·
Registered
474 Posts
chief52 said:
My question exactly. I knew the Gen I couldn't tow but was told by the salesman the Gen II was no problem. Bought my xB Gen II and read the manual and saw what you found...WTF. My last car was a 02 Elantra GT with 2.0 and it towed my Kendon single place motorcycle with my 04 HD Deuce just fine. Even got 29mpg towing the bike between FL and up State NY. I wish someone would explain. I have seen xB's pulling wave runners and people in various forums saying they tow with no problems. Where does it say towing will void your warranty????? Chief
I have a hitch installed for my bike rack...no light hook-up yet. Now, I would think that if you had a problem with a manual clutch or auto transmission (or an overtemp problem) that having a hitch might present a problem for warranty repairs...chances are the dealer would say (on the sly) take the hitch off prior to taking it in for service of a warranty issue....It is my understanding that the service department makes good money on warranty work. I would not be afraid of towing a small m/c or cargo trailer with my xB...just haven't had a need to yet.

Brewski

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The salesman, asked service and service gave the corporate answer,no towing, also found it in the owners manual about no towing, or hiches for bike racks ect. I listed some of my toys/tings to indicate exactly why I need a hitch and to tow 1500lbs or less including trailer. I knew this before I leased it and said to me self, it will tow what I need.
Liked the xB when it first came out, reminded me of some of the British/euro cars of the 50's-60's. Then when the 2gxB came out I liked the chopped roof look. So as second car, winter car for the rag top and 2 wheelers., it fits the bill. I can park the B infront of the rag top and still get the snowblower out, Important issues in my neck of the woods.And momma has her space for the Honda Accord.
I went to NAPA and picked up a converter receiver from 1 1/4 to 2'' so I can use "stuff" I already have like my Gander Mountian grill that has a swing arm. (silver and Black) BTW ;) When I got the 5x 8 trailer I paid the extra bucks for aluminum for weight and no rust. Its so lite I push it around the yard or use the riding mower for heavier stuff.
Tell me the xB can't make a trip to Home Depot/Lowes for trees or peat moss :confused
Tis the season, I have the reason or lack of, to configure the B for me needs. Plus I can put things on the X mas list for others buy :sneaky:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Chief,

Good to know, don't know your trailer, open or closed. Is it MC specfic? Do you go to Americade, Lake George. In the past my wife has had conference in Saratoga Springs around that week, so I used to tow to Saratoga and ride up to the Village, check out the vendors, and took a few tours but mostly on my own. Had to attend events at her conference. The Yamaha 400 kept up with the groups and not too much teasing, all in good fun.
We just got back from a trip south and although we were in the Honda we did go thru the Tail of the Dragon -twice- and really enjoyed it. A properly set up xB might do better than many bikes. I guess the Mini Coopers love to run it. I can see how many MC'ers can get in trouble, and in many cases because of on coming traffic crossing into wrong lane.
Brewski,
Put the Curt hitch on this morning, fits perfect, and I got by without taking muffler off holder as seen on intructional video. No wiring yet, but I'm good to go with the hitch carrier tray to tie the Christmas tree on.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Blk Box,

The hitch was the quickest install...I did take loose the rear most hanger to do the install. I have the "Tow Ready/T-One Connector" wiring kit PN 118468 for later installation should I need lights. With the TYC led lights I wanted a setup that would isolate the xB lights from any problems with trailer lights...at this point I can't say if it will do the job....

Brewski

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems odd that there are 6 holes with welded in backing nuts for a perfect hitch bolt on but not a fractory plug-n-play wiring set up that provides power and isolates rear wiring to prevent problems. The new electrical setups make me nervous and fustrated. I like KISS (keep it simple stupid) systems.
My 4cyl FWD Ford Escape had a plug-n-play wiring plug at the left rear. Great, all I had to do was go get the Ford connector ($70.00BTW). Which I did, to be safe with their wiring system. Come to find out, after all that: Ford in their rat bastard mentality blocked the fuse to the rear plug-n-play if the truck was not a factory tow package. That took the rear harness out of the loop and the recepticle in the fuse block would not take/hold a fuse. Brilliant.
After 3 years of treating the Escape to TLC mother nature dropped huge tree branch on the roof and crushed it on a bright sunny day when it was parked. Go Figure - And that is what brings me to Scion trailer hitch and wiring 101 :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Blk Box said:
Thanks Chief,

Good to know, don't know your trailer, open or closed. Is it MC specfic? Do you go to Americade, Lake George. In the past my wife has had conference in Saratoga Springs around that week, so I used to tow to Saratoga and ride up to the Village, check out the vendors, and took a few tours but mostly on my own. Had to attend events at her conference. The Yamaha 400 kept up with the groups and not too much teasing, all in good fun.
We just got back from a trip south and although we were in the Honda we did go thru the Tail of the Dragon -twice- and really enjoyed it. A properly set up xB might do better than many bikes. I guess the Mini Coopers love to run it. I can see how many MC'ers can get in trouble, and in many cases because of on coming traffic crossing into wrong lane.
Brewski,
Put the Curt hitch on this morning, fits perfect, and I got by without taking muffler off holder as seen on intructional video. No wiring yet, but I'm good to go with the hitch carrier tray to tie the Christmas tree on.
Yes my trailer is an open trailer. It also folds in half and stands on end so it pushes into the garage corner easily on its built in casters. Yes been to Americade a few times, even the original when it was Aspencade before Harleys were invited (overtook). I lived in Glens Falls as was the supervisor of Air Force recruiting for northern NY. I've done the Tail as well--coming home from the Ride to the Wall in May 2008. I rode the Blue Ridge all the way down and took in Vanderbilts Biltmore Estate as well--WOW! My e still lives on Lake George and my daughter and grandkids just moved down from there to the Poughkeepsie area, Spent a lot of time riding all over the Adirondacks the past few years--some of the best riding in the northeast if not all USA. It sure beats flat straight, and 90 degree turns of southern Florida.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
chief52 said:
Blk Box said:
Thanks Chief,

Brewski,
Yes my trailer is an open trailer. It also folds in half and stands on end so it pushes into the garage corner easily on its built in casters. Yes been to Americade a few times, even the original when it was Aspencade before Harleys were invited (overtook). I lived in Glens Falls as was the supervisor of Air Force recruiting for northern NY. I've done the Tail as well--coming home from the Ride to the Wall in May 2008. I rode the Blue Ridge all the way down and took in Vanderbilts Biltmore Estate as well--WOW! My e still lives on Lake George and my daughter and grandkids just moved down from there to the Poughkeepsie area, Spent a lot of time riding all over the Adirondacks the past few years--some of the best riding in the northeast if not all USA. It sure beats flat straight, and 90 degree turns of southern Florida.
:)Enjoyed the Adirondaks as a kid, and father in law used to rent a cabin at Diamond Point, Canoe Island Lodge for 30 years. Great area, not bad duty. I was in USAF just shy of 4 years after 2 years Army. Was station at Travis and Osan, did a few TDY's to CCK, TP Air Station. When I decided to get out I was replaced by a riffed Major, AF was down sizing after the war, gave me a 90 day early out..
Just got back into motorcycles about 5 years ago, and I don't know if you call scooters motorcycles, but my/our prime thing is boating and I got a 50cc to take on the boat, then a 125, then the Majesty 400 for day trips, then a Vespa 250 for the wife but she hasn't really ridden it. So I have 2 scoots, and 14 ft Grizzly Tracker Jon boat for little lakes, streams and the 28 ft for crusin, trips. No trailer for the big boat,. Gave up towing after moving up from the 24. So just a little box car or truck is all I need to get things to and from the boat with a little trailer for utlity purposes. Could have gotton the RAV 4 but I don't like the swing gate.. No good for getting in rear if you have dingy on trailer or other things back there.. Been a long time since I had a Corolla sized car but my 2 Corolla's were some of the best cars I had, fun wise.The xB should be a good one too.Ride safe

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi and welcome blk box,

Just as a heads up, if you are not sure the you will keep your box once the lease is up don't set-up a tow hitch or at the very least make sure the dealer is never 'alerted' of this a wiring harness will be the end of you!!! The dealer most definatly will be on you if when they take the box back and it is still under warentee and has been voided by the said tow hitch. They most likley want $$$ or will make you buy the box.

here's my thought of the day voiding a warentee is like getting married there's no garntee!!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
finallygotit said:
Hi and welcome blk box,

Just as a heads up, if you are not sure the you will keep your box once the lease is up don't setup a tow hitch or at the very least make sure the dealer is never 'alerted' of this a wiring harness will be the end of you!!! The dealer most definably will be on you if when they take the box back and it is still under warrantey and has been voided by the said tow hitch. They most likely want $$$ or will make you buy the box.

here's my thought of the day voiding a warranty is like getting married there's no garrantee!!!!
Thank you for the welcome.
Ya I know I'm messing with the grand plan of the gods of Scion, but if a Corolla has a tow rating and Scion has put those 6 marvelous in frame backing nuts that tempt utilization then my box must be a multi tasker, as the wife expects of me.
Maybe Scion doesn't want us to think outside the box, They have this build your Scion sales pitch. I'm building mine.It needs to have a hitch. It will never see/feel anything more than 1000lbs or less locally. A bike rack holder, com-on Scion young and old ride bikes, get with it.
I think if the xB works out as the second car and I keep my convertible then I proably will buy it off the lease. But things change, no garranties I'll be there when its end of lease time either.
But thanks for the heads up and enjoy your ride. Drive safe- no texting !

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brewski said:
Blk Box,

The hitch was the quickest install...I did take loose the rear most hanger to do the install. I have the "Tow Ready/T-One Connector" wiring kit PN 118468 for later installation should I need lights. With the TYC led lights I wanted a setup that would isolate the xB lights from any problems with trailer lights...at this point I can't say if it will do the job....

Brewski
Hi Brew, back again. I ordered the above kit today and should have in a couple of days. Will read,re-read directions, and still may have question. You seen to know electrical issues with this vehicle. If I have a problem can I give you a "now what" question or two.?
So far hitch is doing well, bought home Christmas tree, hauled dead snowblower into shop for carb overhaul, and home again. Helps keep the inside cleaner longer when I can use the cargo tray. Easier on back also.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well, I am up to about 1600 miles on the new car and past the break in period. One thing I have been noticing is it doesn't seem the braking on the xB2 is all that great AND that is a concern I would have with a trailer. It might just need a better pad, or maybe a better rotor and pad. It is something I'll consider before I hook up a hitch and pull my Harley with. Chief

·
Registered
318 Posts
chief52 said:
Well, I am up to about 1600 miles on the new car and past the break in period. One thing I have been noticing is it doesn't seem the braking on the xB2 is all that great AND that is a concern I would have with a trailer. It might just need a better pad, or maybe a better rotor and pad. It is something I'll consider before I hook up a hitch and pull my Harley with. Chief
i think fastscions sells slotted and drilled rotors for the xB. those should help the braking a little. i'm considering getting them in the near future

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
chief52 said:
Can't argue that point. I come up on cars closer than I like when putting on the brakes. I'm getting use to them and need to use a little more pressure sooner. Seems similar to the Lexus ES 330 (another Toyota product) we turned in on a lease, and went with the Honda Accord V6 as the primary car. Most of my towing is around town and pretty light payloads. Plus my 2 scoots combined proably don't weigh what your Harley does. Still, stronger feed back, and short stopping distances would be more comforting. Don't think I would have a 'no worries" attitude at 70mph on I 95 during one of the famous 70-to 0mph everbody stop now fire drills for what ever reason. The one thing to consider is using the sport shift mode and use engine braking in 3rd to 2nd if needed, plus braking.
I' ve considered putting a hitch on the Honda power wise, I saw someone pulling a closed U-Haul down I 95 in Nov when we drove down to Florida. Other than golf clubs and a few other light things in a contained box on the cargo tray. I won't be towing anything down to Florida in Feb.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Blk Box said:
Brewski said:
Blk Box,

Brewski
Hi Brew, back again. I ordered the above kit today and should have in a couple of days. Will read,re-read directions, and still may have question. You seen to know electrical issues with this vehicle. If I have a problem can I give you a "now what" question or two.?
So far hitch is doing well, bought home Christmas tree, hauled dead snowblower into shop for carb overhaul, and home again. Helps keep the inside cleaner longer when I can use the cargo tray. Easier on back also.
Well, I'd like to help, but my wiring kit is still in the box that it came in....who knows maybe I will need help from you after your install.

Brewski

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, no problem, my wiring order just came but I have to leave it in the box until Christmas, cause the son bought as my Christmas present. Then I'll read up and see if I or my garage will do install. Heat and lift is looking good this time of year. Demand for trailer use is pretty low right now. Not snowmobling or ATV-ing- burrrrr.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, I have appt. to get wiring hooked up on the 6th, so I'll let you know how it goes. Tooo cold here to work in unheated garage.
In explaining the wiring to my mechanic, he said that LED tail light can cause a problem. The original OEM's are still bulbs so that may make a differance.

Neigbors got a kick out of seeing me tow- via ropes- three XMAS trees down the street and over to the park for the tree recycle program. You could do it with the tie down bracket as well.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Blk Box said:
Ok, I have appt. to get wiring hooked up on the 6th, so I'll let you know how it goes. Tooo cold here to work in unheated garage.
In explaining the wiring to my mechanic, he said that LED tail light can cause a problem. The original OEM's are still bulbs so that may make a differance.

Neigbors got a kick out of seeing me tow- via ropes- three XMAS trees down the street and over to the park for the tree recycle program. You could do it with the tie down bracket as well.
Let us know how it works out....the wiring kit should isolate the LEDs as that was the whole point to start with.

Brewski

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Brewski said:
Blk Box said:

Let us know how it works out....the wiring kit should isolate the LEDs as that was the whole point to start with.

Brewski
Sorry nothing to report on wiring. Job didn't get done. Mechanic got sick, unending cold and snow brought in more people with real problems so this got moved to back burner for now. Might take the wiring kit to Florida in Feb and try install myself as a project- if I get bored or obsessed

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.