Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We need a nickname for the xB2, besides "round xB" or "xB, gen 2" . . . those suck- period.

What I've come to call the model, after hearing the term from a number of locals is:
Flying Pig

One conversation in particular comes to mind . . .
I was in the mountains and a Honda driver was talking about cars w/ me and kept saying "All Scions are slow, esp. the boxy ones." I argued w/ that pointing out how quick they were on mountain roads. He refused to believe me and said "When pigs fly." Well, we left the gas station and he forced his way out first (as I was expecting). Well, I stayed right behind him and kept running up on him when it got twisty. In a particular double laned-up road section I LOVE, I blew by him on a left curve and left him well in my dust. When I got to a particular pull of I often use to turn back around and go back down, I waited for him to show up. I was OUT of my car and standing there leaning on the side waiting when he finally showed up several minutes later. He slammed his brakes and pulled in there near me. Needless to say I picked up the previous conversation with "You were saying . . . "
Well, he kept going on how Hondas were still better (surprise?), but was nicer to Scions now.
In the course of the conversation, he said:
"I guess pigs fly. You flew by me. Still, it looks like a pig- especially in the front."

I took that as a "badge of honor" and found a flying pig emblem for my side window:

Looking up other info, I recently found out that the nickname for the FJ55 Land Cruiser is the "Iron Pig."

As the styling of the xB reminds me somewhat of a "hot rodded" and modernized early Land Cruiser (non-off-roader), I find that an interesting connection.

So . . .
Whereas we ARE the primary xB2 forum/group . . .
And we have the power to (finally) give the xB2 a nickname independent from the xB1 . . .

I propose we nickname the xB2, as a model, the "Flying Pig."

Connection?:

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is something the Land Cruiser guys did for their own:

That just looks cool!

I think I could live with the xB2 model nicknamed the "Flying Pig" . . .

It ain't aerodynamic looking, but sure can fly . . .

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The flying pig sticker you have makes me think of the big Pink Floyd pig balloon! :D (Pink Floyd is often heard playing in my Flying Pig.)

"Flying Pig" isn't a nickname I personally would've thought of, but it makes sense!

What made the FJ guys decide on Iron Pig?

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Parkers09xB said:
I also think an antenna that looks like a curly pig tail would be funny. :p
HAHAHAHA
That can be done SO easy!
I just might have to do that, as a matter of course . . .

Oh, and pigs DO NOT HAVE TO BE PINK!!!
In fact, most aren't. Many are white, grays, and black.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bet it FLIES too!

·
Registered
741 Posts
If you want to call your xB a "Pig" go right ahead. Personally I don't think I'll be calling mine that. Kind of hard to wrap my head around driving a "Pig".

·
Registered
741 Posts
I always thought a "Pig" car was a gas guzzler that had the size of a small battleship and handled like one. My xB in none of those things.

·
Registered
783 Posts
gr8scape said:
I always thought a "Pig" car was a gas guzzler that had the size of a small battleship and handled like one. My xB in none of those things.
RT @gr8scape

oh...this isn't twitter. ;)

·
Registered
2008 xB
568 Posts
gr8scape said:
If you want to call your xB a "Pig" go right ahead. Personally I don't think I'll be calling mine that. Kind of hard to wrap my head around driving a "Pig".
How about the ugly duckling? Turned out to be a swan. Nah...it's not a swan. Never mind.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They say pigs can't fly . . .
Or . . .
Scions will be fast "when pigs fly" . . .

We prove them WRONG!!!

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
gr8scape said:
If ya'll come up w/ a better one . . .
I'm down w/ it.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
gr8scape said:
That is part of the irony to me.
People THINK the xB2 is a "pig" in that sense, but it isn't on any account except general body shape. Maybe, it's from me being too neck deep in British "humor" and culture . . . but, that makes it funny to me to twist a negative into a positive with something simple that people "get."
That's why the "flying" is so important, rather than just "pig."
The xB2 IS many things that it shouldn't be and when you tell people, the reaction is the equivalent of "when pigs fly." Heck, look at some of the comments on this very forum . . .
The fact we discuss "high"performance AND "hypermileing" techniques, tweeking what is basically an economy-car/small truck suspension to equal a "sports car" handing, carrying volume AND small size (the so called TARDIS-effect), and many, many other stuff people wouldn't even associate w/ the vehicle . . .
The xB2 is unique, fascinating to me (from a technical/engineering POV), performing, practical, and much more vehicle that defies our current categories for vehicles (US-POV).
There are classifications for this type in Japan and Europe, but not in the US.

I LOVE the xB2!
(That's why I bought one . . . )

·
Registered
741 Posts
Being the owner of an xB and naming it is all part of the experience of ownership. Some people never name their cars. Some owners come up with name that mean something just for them. If you want to call yours a "Flying Pig", by all means do so. I just like mine as an xB2. My cars actual name is "Pookie". Have no idea why, just kind of happened one day. To each his /her own.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.