Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK . . .
I'm more used to modding older cars w/ FAR less plastic/rubber and electronics in them.
I'm also not much of a fan of exhaust and engine covers. I like to SEE the functional parts.

So . . .
Would there be any negative (mainly water) consequences from leaving OFF the plastic engine cover?

Would there be any issues on hoses or wires if I remove the heat shield on the stock headers?
The original xB2 headers look pretty good shapewise, even if not protected well. I'm planning to take them off, clean them up (sand off rust, esp. on the main engine flange- nice coat of rust) and painting them w/ header paint. BUT, I wouldn't want the now exposed heat to melt or weaken anything up there.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
On Scion Life there are a ton of tC's with no plastic engine cover.

Right now, my plastic engine cover is off, but just because I'm waiting for my new paint job to dry.

I do like the look of no header cover though!

·
Registered
474 Posts
TartanJack said:
Would there be any negative (mainly water) consequences from leaving OFF the plastic engine cover?
If you have the stock engine cover it has some "noise reduction" material as part of the cover...so you could expect some increase in engine noise.

Brewski

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the "as is" under there, just w/ the covers off and NOTHING else . . .
Cleaning and some paint will help

I'll clean up the header. I don't think that brown is really rust, but a byproduct of the bending in Japan. It just comes off w/ cleaner and hard rubbing.
The flange will need sanding and paint, as it is VERY rust-coated.
A little red header paint would look good there . . .

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do ya'll think would look good?

Remember, my "idea" is a "rodded" Scot-Pirate "Industrial SportsBox" . . . named "KwikSilver" and uses winged stuff (look up the plethora of Mercury ethos) . . .

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Parkers09xB said:
TartanJack said:
I'll clean up the header. I don't think that brown is really rust, but a byproduct of the bending in Japan. It just comes off w/ cleaner and hard rubbing.
What cleaner you gonna use?
WIndex surface cleaner worked for what looks clean there . . .
So, a REAL cleaner should work better, not sure which one yet. Recommendation?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I am thinking about pulling my stock header and getting out my carbide burrs for alittle "grind" an shine work. I would imagine the way it is now is no such a nice transition from the head to the header ,I bet there is room for improvement. If I am not mistaken felpro does offer a gasket I want to at least take it apart and look at it. I will be be leaving the covers on I think they are on there for heat/noise issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.