Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was going to run some whitewalls on my car and I've been told by a few tires places that they dont make/fit 08 scion xb's anyone know else-wise? This sucks! One person said there wasnt enough demand another said they wouldnt fit in the scions wheel well.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Ok here is what you do. Look up whitewall tires. Don't do it by makes. Just look them up by the rim size you wanna run. If your using your stock steelies then say 16". Find out what sizes are avaliable and then run them through the tire comparator that is on this page and it will tell you how well they will fit.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Here check these out. They say they can make them from everything to PT cruisers to packards. If a PT cruiser can fit them so can we.

http://www.widewhitewalltires.com/diamondback16inchradials.htm

EDIT: I just read the PAGE 20 add. It lists 205/55 r16's for $175. Those are the factory size tires on the xB. I am going to check the tire comparator but I believe you could even run a 205/75 r16 and get a taller tire giving it an even more retro look. There is definatly plenty of space for a taller tire.

EDIT AGAIN: Ok here is the comparison.

Tires: Tire 1 Tire 2
Tire size 205/55-16 205/75-16
Section width 205 mm (8.1'') 205 mm (8.1'')
Sidewall 113 mm (4.4'') 154 mm (6.1'')
Tire diameter 632 mm (24.9'') 714 mm (28.1'')
82 mm (13%) taller.
*Seems TOO tall.
Rim sizes 16x5.5 to 16x7.5 16x5 to 16x7.5
Circumference 1984 mm (78.1'') 2242 mm (88.3'')
Revs per mile 811 717.8
Speedometer Assuming that this is OEM tire and speedometer readings are correct When speedometer reads 60mph (96.6km/h) actual speed will be 67.8mph (109.2km/h): 13% faster.
Clearance: Package 1 Package 2
Suspension Assuming that this is OEM wheel/tire and there is no any problems with clearance on both sides The same.
Fenders The same.
Wheelwells Will fill out the wheelwell by extra 41 mm. Make sure that you have enough room under the fender. If not, consider lower profiles or smaller rims.
So while it says you have to check wheel well clearance I believe there is plenty of room since so many are putting 20's there. I am running a 40 profile and still have a big gap. Some on here said they ran a 45 profile and got rid of the gap with no problems running the tire. Yet this comparator tells you to be carefull running a 45 profile. Its just basically telling you what will definatly fit, what definatly won't fit, and what can fit just double check the measurments because they don't have every single detail about every car. I say go for it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah sweet Ill check into this more. Both Discount Tires and Les Schwab said it wouldn't work.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Wave Rider said:
Ah sweet Ill check into this more. Both Discount Tires and Les Schwab said it wouldn't work.
Neat thread.

So . . .
With white walls looking possible and the caps I found, the "hot rod"/50s retro look seems more and more reasonable (without costing an arm and leg either)!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah those are sorry forgot to say that. The prices listed on for a set of 4 right not per tire? Becasue under $200 for a set is a good deal.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Sorry to be a bummer but those prices are probably each. Tires aren't cheap and these are custom made with a low sale volume. I still think its a good price, plus they are radials which aren't cheap in regular tires anyways.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
I am thinking the same as Eviljack.
When I said "reasonable," I didn't mean "cheap."
I thought/think a really nice vintage looking set up for under $1,000 is a pretty good deal.
With the stock rims (repainted, of course), $50 of trim (Napa dust caps and lugs) and 4 White wall, even at $200/ea, that would be somewhere around $900-1000 (dependent upon shipping and painting costs). Not bad at all, in my opinion. Many aftermarket rim/tire combos are more than that, and they don't include low-volume production tires.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
each ouch....I was thinking under $500 for the tires. under 1300 for the woddy trim w/ install idk on the price to powder coat my steelies $200 for the spiders, $200 for the rack and then a hook up on a 60's wood surfboard. Then I got the whole inside but thats another day lol.

Thats my budget right there for just the tires and woody trim :sick:

So Im a grand over already into the project and haven't even done anything yet lol. Good times oh well haha.

BTW those tires are sweet I have to have them if they fit. Ill call and ask on monday as I dont know anything about tires. Are stock tires are 16's right so they should fit on out rims the only issue is clearance in the tire wells right?

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Just for the record:
As of July 2008 . . .
The "stock" xB size (205/55R16) is made by Federal and cost $174/ea. So, a set of 4 would be $696, plus shipping (assumed).
So, with the Napa cap (painted or chromed), 20 lugs, and the tires-> $750-800.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Wave Rider said:
BTW those tires are sweet I have to have them if they fit. Ill call and ask on monday as I dont know anything about tires. Are stock tires are 16's right so they should fit on out rims the only issue is clearance in the tire wells right?
If you buy 205/55 r16 they are the exact same size as the tires your using now.
If you buy 205/75 r16 they will be taller and fill out the wheel wells better, you just gotta measure and make sure they will fit since they are slightly larger. However keep in mind that if you want taller tires and 205/75 won't work you can do 205/65 which is between the two.

So no need to ask them what will fit, just ask for one of those sizes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.