Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I frequently hear a popping or clanking noise when I shift into drive or reverse from park. It sounds like it's coming from the front, left wheel. Had it to the dealership but they said they never heard it. Discovered later that they rotated the tires before they did any troubleshooting. I didn't hear the noise for some time after that but it eventually returned. Has anyone experienced this?

·
Registered
96 Posts
ok thats easy it has nothing to do with your wheels it has to do with how the park works.
let me guess you dont use the e-brake?

how park works is simple when you put the car in park there's a 'pin' that drops in the tranny that 'locks' it.
now the noise you here is what happens when you park in an incline of enough importance to make the car roll under its own weight.
by not appling the e-brake before putting it in park what happens is it rolls makes the tranny move and lean on that 'pin' so when you take it out of park that 'pin' , when it retracts makes a sort of clunking noise.

·
Registered
240 Posts
finallygotit said:
ok thats easy it has nothing to do with your wheels it has to do with how the park works.
let me guess you dont use the e-brake?

how park works is simple when you put the car in park there's a 'pin' that drops in the tranny that 'locks' it.
now the noise you here is what happens when you park in an incline of enough importance to make the car roll under its own weight.
by not appling the e-brake before putting it in park what happens is it rolls makes the tranny move and lean on that 'pin' so when you take it out of park that 'pin' , when it retracts makes a sort of clunking noise.
I also notice this after I release the e-brake. Is this something to worry about?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well I dont believe that the noise is caused by the brake pads moving I just inspected all 4 brakes on my box yesterday and the rear brake pads dont have that much room to move.
also EPHIOS is your box an auto? if so are you in park when you release the e-brake?
scion is yours an auto ? because for the revers noise I believe its a whole other issue. I have a manual and putting it in reverse sometimes doesnt work.ccording to the owners maual this is 'normal' and all I have to do is release the clutch and try again. now if we're talking auto than maybe it a similar probleme i think the tranny is too tight and likes to be noticed.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have an automatic xb. When I pull into the garage and stop the pads are being pushed forward. When backing out , the the pads are forced backwards because the transmission is in reverse. It doesn't take much end play for a pad to make a click/clunk noise.

Maybe it's something else, whatever it is the warranty will cover it for a long, long time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do use my E-Brake, mainly because there seems to be a lot of vehicle movement when I just use Park. The dealer said the same thing about brake pad movement when engaging the transmission but the noise went away after they rotated the tires. I initially thought they had unknowingly fixed whatever was causing the noise but it came back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you find out exactly what was causing the noise from front left tire?
I just recently less than a month ago bought a 2009 Scion XB with 123,000 miles on it. I’ve noticed a week ago when I take off in reverse or forward now from being parked or sitting still I noticed a single crack or pop (metal noise hard to explain) from front left wheel area. Sounds like something about to break to me. Any suggestions on what it might be? I took my last 5 thousand out to buy this vehicle now I’m worried it’s going to be expensive to fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts