Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took my dome out to put in some leds. Notice in the photo how almost every hole in the housing has metal beneath the plastic?

Those are all connected to either the hot or ground side of the plug (two prongs in the center)! What on earth could Toyota be wiring into the housing to need connections in all these odd spots?

Those pairs of holes with metal contacts sticking into each side have one far side hot, the other far side ground, and the two adjacent contacts continuous. It seems like you could just pop some sort of light in those to make 2 lights in series. Do they look like they could be for directly mounting leds?

I'm just really curious about this. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
781 Posts
I'm thinking those photos are of the spot/reading light housing, not the dome light. Yes, I didn't notice those contacts before -- maybe! Are they controlled by the respective spot light switches?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking those photos are of the spot/reading light housing, not the dome light. Yes, I didn't notice those contacts before -- maybe! Are they controlled by the respective spot light switches?
Yes, you are correct. It is the map light not the dome. And yes, they are controlled by the switches!

·
Registered
22 Posts
my guess is that this is used in multiple other cars and has multiple other applications and or "add-on" type of abilities for other lights and what not.
Absolutely correct.

Next time you're in any Toyota, Take a look around and look at the door switches, mirror adjustments, turn stalks, HVAC controls and you will see that Toyota utilizes the same part across the entire lineup.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I can see using the same parts in different vehicles. That makes sense from an efficiency standpoint. A window switch is a window switch and a wiper switch is a wiper switch (I even have the Prius one on my xB), but when is a map light not a map light?

·
Registered
243 Posts
when you want to call it a "dome light". hehe!

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Absolutely correct.

Next time you're in any Toyota, Take a look around and look at the door switches, mirror adjustments, turn stalks, HVAC controls and you will see that Toyota utilizes the same part across the entire lineup.
Many, many manufacturers do that.
For example, look at the interior door latch of a 1960s to early 90s VW or Porsche. They are different color and sometimes different textured versions of the exact same part. A Bug's version fit in my 87 Vanagon Wolfsburg (I replaced many parts with "Bug" parts from NOPI in ATL when I owned it), and also in my uncle's 914 and his needs-restoration 912 (now sold and restored by a friend of his). Many pre-996 Porsche "911" and 356 owners are well aware of many VW parts that fit, which are identical and which are similar (different finish, but still fit), b/c those parts cost several times more if labeled "Porsche" rather than "VW."

Toyota, who had a working relationship with VW from Post-WW2 rebuilding through at least the 1990s (Toyota helped VW develop the FWD Rabbit, for example), is known for doing the same-> using minor parts in a huge variety of cars to reduce tooling costs and reduce manufacturing expenses.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Many, many manufacturers do that.
For example, look at the interior door latch of a 1960s to early 90s VW or Porsche. They are different color and sometimes different textured versions of the exact same part. A Bug's version fit in my 87 Vanagon Wolfsburg (I replaced many parts with "Bug" parts from NOPI in ATL when I owned it), and also in my uncle's 914 and his needs-restoration 912 (now sold and restored by a friend of his). Many pre-996 Porsche "911" and 356 owners are well aware of many VW parts that fit, which are identical and which are similar (different finish, but still fit), b/c those parts cost several times more if labeled "Porsche" rather than "VW."

Toyota, who had a working relationship with VW from Post-WW2 rebuilding through at least the 1990s (Toyota helped VW develop the FWD Rabbit, for example), is known for doing the same-> using minor parts in a huge variety of cars to reduce tooling costs and reduce manufacturing expenses.
Excellent VW Facts!!!

My first automotive book when I turned 16 was the infamous John Muir VW Bible. I had a 1975 Yellow Fuelie Beetle as my first ride. It was in great shape, and looked pretty sweet with the EMPI wheels on it.

I've had several Beetles since then, but I sold everything when I bought my house to fund a Kitchen and Bath remodel project. I'm trying to get back into it and I've been having a tough time finding a decent project car. Seems that everyone want's $2500 for a rusted out shell. Barrett Jackson is killing the hobby...lol

Attachments

·
Registered
781 Posts
Yes, you are correct. It is the map light not the dome. And yes, they are controlled by the switches!
Sounds like a real possibility for an LED bulb replacement., but you'll need to identify something that fits (I've personally no idea)! I used LED "bulbs" directly replacing the OE. However, to get appropriate light output, I had to use a "bulb" that was too large to fit through the fixture rear opening. Instead, I had to temporarily remove the lenses to perform the install from the cabin side.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I just put in the led boards from Oznium. I'm really happy with them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.