Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have installed an OEM spoiler, are there any tips you can offer? The dealer wanted nearly $300 to install and I think 3 hours is a bit steep!

Drilling into the car does not scare me but just looking for any "by the ways" that the instruction sheet does not cover.

Thanks, Gordon

·
Registered
781 Posts
For those that have installed an OEM spoiler, are there any tips you can offer? The dealer wanted nearly $300 to install and I think 3 hours is a bit steep!

Drilling into the car does not scare me but just looking for any "by the ways" that the instruction sheet does not cover.

Thanks, Gordon
I chose dealer install to avoid possibility of personal error. I'm satisfied with the result, but by all means go with what makes best sense to you :)!

·
Registered
844 Posts

Thanks, Gordon
I installed the spoiler myself. Here are few things I learned.Make sure the template is in the correct position,make sure the harness is out of the way on the left side, put drill stops on the drill bits, after drilling,recheck the holes with the template to make sure they are in the correct location, use primer on the holes, have someone help place the spoiler on, and don't over tighten the hardware. Now, it's done.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Measure thrice, drill once.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You will need the "template", a step drill bit & a punch. Oh, a magnet helps clean up the shavings. Just be carful on the left side of the wires. :book:

If you don't have the template contact me as I still have mine.

AZ

·
Registered
844 Posts
You will need the "template", a step drill bit & a punch. Oh, a magnet helps clean up the shavings. Just be carful on the left side of the wires. :book:

If you don't have the template contact me as I still have mine.

AZ
Yeah, if anyone wants the template, I don't need mine anymore either.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tips guys! I guess my search words were wrong!!

I brought all the tools from work today to install it this weekend. I did buy the template from Toyota and figure it was worth the money. One question however, how forgiving are the tapes? Is there time to reposition or once its down its down?

Gordon

·
Registered
844 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys! I guess my search words were wrong!!

I brought all the tools from work today to install it this weekend. I did buy the template from Toyota and figure it was worth the money. One question however, how forgiving are the tapes? Is there time to reposition or once its down its down?

Gordon
Before you decide on the correct position,pull only enough red backing off the the 3M to peel it off later, otherwise if you peel all the red off the spoiler will be on for good.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I drilled pilot holes. To drill a larger hole in sheet metal is difficult without one and easy for the bit to move around, scratching the paint. Otherwise it's an easy install, there is a website (scikotics?) that has the PDF to print out the templates. That's where I got mine. Also, tape over the area you're drilling so the bur's don't scratch anything. For touch up paint for the bare metal from the holes find a comparable color in rustoleum, paint the end of a small brush and use that for a cheap touch up. No one will ever see the paint so any color will really work. I also packed the holes with plumber grade silicone to prevent water from entering.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just finished installing it about an hour ago. I'm actually happy I didn't pay the dealer $300 although if I didn't have the correct tools it could be worth it to some. I think it looks good but I'm going to the dealer to "compare" my work.

The only thing that was dicey was the torque of 50 in.lb. My torque wrench was recently calibrated and I was concerned that I'd twist the studs off but it clicked when it should. I waited about half an hour and double checked the torque. I figured the tapes and sponge gromments were going relax a bit and they did. Had to retorque all four spots. I'll check again tomorrow.

Thanks for all the tips and advice. I'll post some pics once I figure out how. I'm not very adept at some things!!

Gordon

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just for the record, I rechecked the torque on the spoiler and found that all four fasteners required a retorque. Maybe an eighth to a quarter turn to bring them back up to spec.

And, while dropping off our Venza at the dealer today, I took a peek at a dealer installed spoiler and I'm happy to say my install is within 1/32 of the dealer.

Gordon

·
Registered
601 Posts
Just for the record, I rechecked the torque on the spoiler and found that all four fasteners required a retorque. Maybe an eighth to a quarter turn to bring them back up to spec.

And, while dropping off our Venza at the dealer today, I took a peek at a dealer installed spoiler and I'm happy to say my install is within 1/32 of the dealer.

Gordon
Nice job!
I think I'm in the camp where I would rather have someone else do it and if screwed up it's not my problem :) but yeah I'd love to save the money too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dale
I ordered the 'spoiler' installation kit for my 2015 xB, (rear Wind Deflector) and it was nothing but the two mylar pieces. Aren't there supposed to be some actual instructions?

Opie

·
Registered
35 Posts
did you have a sheet of instructions? I bought the installation kit and it was nothing but 2 mylar templates.
I just bought a 2015 xb (to replace my '08) and I want to install the rear spoiler...but I'm nervous.

Opie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.